Spider-Man VR now gumming up cybergoggles

Spider-Man, they say. Spider-Man, they repeat. He does whatever a spider can, they tell us. Alas, spiders are incapable of releasing games on PC, so we’re not getting the Batman-lookin’ Spider-Man PS4 game that Sony flashed around at E3. Nope, our fanciest modern-day Webslinging™ option is a new virtual reality doodad promoting that there new movie Ian Hollywood has made. Spider-Man: Homecoming – Virtual Reality Experience [Steam page] is out now, a little doodad free for gogglenauts, and its launch mostly reminds me how much I like other games about swinging around.

If you have Rift or Vive cybergoggs and fancy waving around Spider-Man’s severed forearms as your own, swing by Steam and download Homecoming’s Virtual Reality Experience for free. It has a few tutorial bits teaching the basics of webspitting to attack garbage then a little scripted action with Birdman. It’s a free promo game for a movie so don’t expect anything too fancy.

This ? is the Spider-Man game we’re not getting on PC. No, I don’t know how the spiders able to release games on PS4 yet not on PC.

In these modern multiplatform days, exclusives like this are such unpleasant oddities. Back when Activision had Beenox and co. make Spider-Man games, they came to PC and other consoles too. Now Sony have nabbed the rights and are only releasing Insomniac’s game on PlayStation 4. Boooo.

Activision’s Spider-Man games aren’t even sold any more, removed from Steam earlier this year because… reasons? Stickyman is still playable in the free-to-play Marvel Heroes and the LEGO Marvel games (the next of which arrives in November) but it’s not nearly the same stick ’em up experience.

Beyond Stickyman, the recent Attack on Titan game is a swinging good time. Energy Hook, created by a guy who masterminded swinging in a past Spider-Man game, is a little janky but is £7 in the Steam summer sale. Or if you just want swinging, any swinging, recent roguelikelike 2D platformer Flinthook is cracking. That’s but the tip of the swinging ‘berg! What makes your heart swing, chums?

Qazinsky says:

A VR web swinging game, hmm? Sounds like people will find out if they are even a little susceptible to motion sickness.

Ninja Dodo says:

I wonder. Having tried some VR now I find I get motion sick really easily but it’s mostly unmotivated camera movement that does it, especially weird artificial rotation. However , I have much less trouble with movement that feels physically correct and motivated by player action, such as pulling yourself forward and then grabbing something to stop in that ISS space station VR thing. So depending on how it’s implemented I could see this being absolutely terrible or totally fine.

• crazyd says:

Windlands already lets you swing around in VR.

Masked Dave says:

Don’t platform exclusivity deals always mean “for a bit” these days?

• crazyd says:

This is a game funded by Sony, though, not just an exclusivity deal. The odds of it hitting PC are about the same as Uncharted or The Last of Us.

Mungrul says:

It gets a bad rap, but the last Bionic Commando, the much-maligned 3D one with the lampooned, wife-oriented story, has FANTASTIC swinging.

4. Vandelay says:

Funnily enough, I happen to be on my way home to Vive shaped package that should have been delivered today.

The Steam reviews of this made it sound as if it was not overly worth the time to download, but might give it a go.

Any suggestions for must gets? Preferably free or cheap, but I do have a £50 Steam gift card coming with it (annoyingly, I already spent just under £30 on Subnautica and the Superhot bundle, as I assumed it wouldn’t arrive before the end of the Steam sale, so prefer not to spend all that £50 at once.)

• Slazer says:

Superhot VR is by far the most amazing experience you can find for Vive! Get that one
      Most of the games still fell like experiences or experiments rather thatn full fledged games to spend your time with but this one stopped me even thinking about selling the Vive again.
      Now I am waiting for Vega to get better Performance for Elite: Dangerous, a game that will bore me after 2 hours…

• wfw-rps says:

tothetop

• Fiatil says:

Superhot VR is amazing, and you’re in for a treat.

On the free side, Accounting is brilliantly insane if you’re into that kind of thing.

I would also recommend The Blu, which costs money, but the whale demo part of it is free. It’s a great first experience when you’re showing it to people — mostly non interactive, but incredibly pretty. The Racket: Nx Demo is pretty great, and Waltz of the Wizard is also free and is a good starter VR toybox. Dota 2 has a VR observer mode that is great to mess around with even if you don’t care about DOTa at all. On the cheap side, Thrill of the Fight is an awesome boxing game and a great workout.

• monkeymcnugget says:

Holopoint is essential VR! (Thanks to Tom on Crate and Crowbar for that one!) £8 in the sale. Accounting, budget cuts demo and the Lab are free. House of the dying sun, Thumper if those tickle you for not too much. Raw Data for a great ‘normal’ shooter but its not cheap and still early access. HL2 VR sooooon…
      edit 3rded for Superhot – also essential

• Eleven says:

Here’s the (somewhat dated) hivemind’s opinion about must buys:

link to rockpapershotgun.com

• Vandelay says:

Thanks all for the tips. Some of these I think I should be able to try out with my Viveport free trial, which will be handy particularly for those experience type things. Loads on the link from Eleven that seem worth checking out.

Just spent the evening with the Vive, mostly with the Lab. Seriously incredible experience. Not smiled so much with gaming in so long. Just small things like standing in the Dota Secret Shop and getting up close to all of the items I have bought a million times in the game was a real thrill. I think I may have let out an audible gasp when GLADOS appeared in the robot repair one too.

Gave Superhot a quick go whilst The Lab was downloading. Was feeling badass within seconds of figuring out the controls and the first time I did a Matrix style bullet dodge. Can definitely see why this is the epitome of VR at the moment. The regular game is cool, but this is taking it to another level. Thumper was less great. It had a really nice 3D effect, but I couldn’t really get to grips with the controls using the VIVE controllers. Might be best to just stick with the regular controls for that one.

Only disappointment so far is that my room is just a little too small. The room scaling setup was not quite the minimum red rectangle. Had to go with the standing option. Still, it does allow for some movement (just enough for me to bang into a wall or wack my desk with the controller a couple of times!)

Seyda Neen says:

Can’t sing the praises of this game enough. Just a fabulous non-wave based-shooter. link to notdead.itch.io

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Those Activision/Beenox gamess were also mostly trash so I welcome platform exclusivity if it finally gives us a Spider-man game that is actually worth playing.

The Almighty Moo says:

AHH swinging. The grappling hook in titanfall is most satisfying in this regard.

Comment on this story