Have You Played… Gex 3D: Enter the Gecko?

It must be a kind of curse, to be a platformer character. Gex is right up there with the other Z-listers. Blinx, Croc, the Jersey Devil. All dead and gone. Arguably only Mario Mario has been able to sustain the life of a well-respected spike-avoider. The rest end up in the mass grave of childhood memories, which is exactly where you’ll find this rude, polygonal lizard.

Gex games pandered to the basest teenage impulses – fart jokes, Playboy models, and bad film parodies that were old and naff even in 1998. I loved it (kill me). But there was some decent platforming behind it all, or decent for the era, anyway. That said, I doubt anyone wants this genre blend of Crash Bandicoot and Leisure Suit Larry to return. Rest in peace, Gex. Don’t come back.

1. Dorga says:

ahhh Blinx, blew my mind.

Aerothorn says:

I had a hell of a time with Blinx.

• Daymare says:

Blinx was really cool. I also remember it becoming really hard and I simply gave up somewhere. I was about 14, and not very good at games.

subdog says:

Do you think Gex is genuinely happy for his colleague Bubsy, or just seething with jealousy?

• Coming Second says:

Whichever the case, I’m sure he’s got a devastating one liner revolving around a 90s pop culture figure to describe his headspace.

Risingson says:

Among the huge effort that you made to put a screenshot and one paragraph shorter than any of your readers’ comments, Brendan, have you had the chance to google, know the existence or even, I dare to say, play the first Gex?

It was actually a very decent game. There you have, a youtube
    link to youtube.com

Always happy to provide a 5′ comment that at least pays some respect to the people that developed this instead of a “die and don’t come back”.

• FredSaberhagen says:

Found the gex developer

• ZEUSxFTW says:

You’re quite the fan of run-on sentences, aren’t you?

• ansionnach says:

Would make a good series if someone occasionally went off and played through one of these games. Brendan has just volunteered to do the Gex trilogy, perhaps, along with installation problems? I’m happy to help with that if it proves tricky.

• poliovaccine says:

He says he loved it, actually. Like, in the article, I mean.

Ninja Dodo says:

I loved the demo of the first game. Somewhat recently got the full game on GOG and the voiceover was… less good than I remember it being but the mechanics were still enjoyable enough though there was something about the save system that annoyed me and I didn’t play more of it. Never tried the 3D one.

5. vorador says:

I’m now kinda wanting to play some Conker. Because you’re sort-of describing Conker’s Bad Fur Day.

6. PrestonFranklin says:

“Hey! I feel like I’m trapped in Boy George’s pants!”

Quotes like these were completely lost on 10 year-old me. Probably would have horrified my mother if she was actually paying attention.

7. Viral Frog says:

I just recently played some Gex 3D: Enter the Gecko and I completely disagree with the “die and don’t come back” bit. That game is even more hilarious to me now at 26 than it was at 10. The game in general is pretty great. In fact, I haven’t played a Gex game I didn’t like. #GexRevival2018/19Please

• ansionnach says:

Played a demo of that and I really enjoyed it. Crystal Dynamics have gone on to put out some decent platformers and their early success with Gex probably wasn’t an accident.

8. Sardonic says:

I, for one, will never forget the tragic backstory of Gex. His father died in the challenger space shuttle disaster, and he did nothing but watch TV for ages as a coping mechanism.

9. flashlight_eyes says:

LOVED this game as a child, really couldnt get enough. Dex was the edgy platformer I needed. Fond memories of some of the different locations at least. I rememeber the horror movie section terrifying me as living dolls with knives would chase you.

Wondering how i can play this game today…

10. Jakkar says:

One of my favourite games on the PS1. Enough snide, silly humour to enliven the platforming experience. I played more Gex than I ever played Super Mario 64, or Crash Bandicoot, or (so on, so forth)… I think it was just the amount of character.

It’s not that the humour was good – it’s that it knew very well it was bad. And bad in a good-humoured way, rather than the scatological wickedness of Conker’s Bad Fur Day.

Not a great game, but a good one. Glad someone else remembers it.

11. BooleanBob says:

Is that a Super Mario Bros.: The Movie reference I see you trying to sneak in there Brendan?

Neurotic says:

Gex was one of my favourite PSX franchises. And he’s very much back, courtesy of GOG. Been playing it all week. :D

13. Spacewalk says:

I tried not to and was successful.