Rocket League adds new arena, Rick & Morty items today

Today is a notable day for Rocket League [official site]: it’s the day two days before the second anniversary of its launch! What better day (other than the obvious) to launch an anniversary update? Developers Psyonix are today adding celebratory goodies including a new carball arena, new cars, and new Rick and Morty trinkets to decorate your sports car. Presumably the purpose of pre-anniversary anniversary update is to let everyone party down and wreck themselves tonight, recover over tomorrow, then be professional and respectable for the actual anniversary on Friday – be nice to sponsors, avoid swearing in front of the cars’ parents, and such.

Along with the new Champions Field arena, Psyonix point these out as the highlights of the 2nd Anniversary Update:

  • FREE Rick & Morty Customization items distributed as Common drops after online and offline matches, including Rick and Morty Antennas, ‘Cromulon,’ ‘Mr. Meeseeks,’ and ‘Mr. PBH’ Toppers, an ‘Interdimensional GB’ Rocket Boost, and ‘Sanchez DC-137’ Wheels
  • ‘Rocket League Radio,’ which adds a new default music playlist “Rocket League x Monstercat” with 18 new tracks from EDM music label Monstercat
  • New Import Battle-Cars ‘Animus GP’ and ‘Centio V17,’ available exclusively as drops inside the new ‘Overdrive Crate’
  • New Overdrive Crate with the potential to unlock animated decals, brand-new trails, and more
  • New customization options like ‘Engine Audio,’ ‘Goal Explosions,’ and ‘Trails’ that are a mix of FREE selections and Crate drops
  • End to ‘Competitive Season 4’ and Trail rewards distributed to competing players based on their highest skill tier reached
  • Beginning of ‘Competitive Season 5’ with new changes
  • Six new achievements and trophies

Full patch notes should arrive alongside the update, which is due at 11pm tonight (3pm PDT).

5 Comments

  1. Viral Frog says:

    Welp, time to jump back into RL and get schwifty.

  2. dystome says:

    I loved Rocket League for a while. I could love it forever were I not so incurably terrible at it.

    • Shazbut says:

      I think about 5% of the players can control their car in the air and the remaining 95% of us are just fumbling about. That’s my experience

      • dystome says:

        I scored an amazing, deliberate, mid-air goal once. Just once. I still have the reply saved so I can load it up and sigh at it.

  3. gwop_the_derailer says:

    An F1 car and an LMP1 car. Neat!

Comment on this story

XHTML: Allowed code: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>