Bring your Shadow of Mordor nemesis to Shadow of War

When Middle-earth: Shadow of War [official site] arrives in October, players will be fight alongside their worst enemy from the first game with their dearest friend. Warner Bros. today added the ‘Nemesis Forge’ to Shadow of Mordor, which can transfer your top Nemesis and most loyal follower over to the sequel. The Nemesis system was the most exciting idea of Mordor — and one that far too few games have copied, both Adam and John will tell you — as random foes became unique recurring loathed enemies, changing and growing after each fight.

Oh, but if you haven’t played Shadow of Mordor, good news: it’s free to play in full this weekend, and on sale with a big discount too.

Here, this video shows how to use the Nemesis Forge:

Which Nemesis will you bring over, gang? What sort of twisted weirdo did your feuds breed?

Middle-earth: Shadow of War is due on October 10th, priced at £44.99/59,99€/$59.99.

Before then, all and sundry are invited to play Shadow of Mordor through Steam until Sunday at 1pm Pacific (9pm UK time). If you want it for keepsies, an 80% discount offered until Monday makes it £3.20/4€/$4.00.

1. ChiefOfBeef says:

Prak Jaws. Everyone had at least one encounter with Prak Jaws. I know this because he was a re-occurring revenge target for people dying to him.

• Punning Pundit says:

This was the part of the system that I didn’t hear nearly enough about! The fact that after my friends died, I could avenge them was _awesome_. I wonder if early reviewers simply didn’t have enough friends playing it early (for obvious reasons) to notice the feature.

2. BTA says:

It was so incredibly easy to permanently kill orcs in the original (as opposed to just winning the fight and having them come back later) that when it came time to fight my Nemesis, I literally didn’t recognize their name because I’d churned through so many orcs just doing all the side missions and such. I can only assume they had been suddenly promoted after I’d killed their superiors.

It’s always nice to hear about how that system was enjoyable for people, but the magic broke very early on for me when that started happening. I hope they fix that in the sequel, particularly if they’re making a big deal of bringing the original Nemesis over.

• thetruegentleman says:

Did you do all the weapon challenges? The best way to get a Nemesis by far is to try and forge a legend, and while you’re in the middle of that, suddenly get the camera yanked away from you when some random asshole shows up to taunt you, forcing a choice between ditching all the progress you made to survive, or gamble on killing someone you know nothing about in the hopes of completing the legend anyway.

It’s generally a rare occurrence, but it happens: happened to me *three times* by the same asshole, in two different legends no less.

• Punning Pundit says:

What I’m hearing: you are much, _much_ better at the game than I was. :)

• Jay Load says:

I’m glad you said that, BTA. My experience of the Nemesis system is kind of similar. I got a few returns out of it but generally they – and the system – weren’t quite as dramatic and exciting as RPS likes to keep making out. In fact it got pretty irritating by the end-game, all those fatuous grand entrances: I could have burned off his face and killed four of his men in the time it took to return my control to me!

• JRay says:

I had a similar experience. The game got so easy, so quickly, that I never really had a memorable “Nemesis”. I just cut through all of the randomly named orcs and almost never died. I assumed that was how most people felt, so it’s interesting reading about situations in which folks were actually able to cultivate some kind of rivalry with one of the orcs. Anyway, this feature, while cool, is pretty meaningless to me. I don’t remember a single one of those orcs.

• gabrielonuris says:

I not only completely agree with you, but to be totally honest here, I’m starting to think that this nemesis system is the most overrated feature in a game ever.

• ColonelFlanders says:

That belongs to VR support.

• gabrielonuris says:

Well, can’t say I disagree with you!

• Spacewalk says:

I can’t either. VR is only really for a select few whereas everybody can swear and scream at the nemesis system.

• Fiatil says:

This is the greatest concentration of un-fun in comment history!

I gotta agree that the RPS coverage is completely teeing them up for a “It really wasn’t that great” article sometime after the 2nd relese, which would at least be remarkably similar to their VR coverage.

• Aetylus says:

Unless of course, like my experience, the Nemesis system worked perfectly for me. In which case the Nemesis system is one of the best features in a game ever.

It generated the greatest villain in all gaming history – the utterly horrific Pushkrimp Dwarf-Killer. I’ve never spent so much time out of game thinking about how to overcome a single game villian.

• Jeremy says:

I’m slightly envious of this experience, because mine has been like the others. And I don’t mean that in a “git gud” way, I just never developed a nemesis that stuck with me long enough to mean anything.

• RegisteredUser says:

Bloom and blur and DoF would like a word.

3. mitthrawnuruodo says:

But all my nemeses are dead. Good old Grognak the Ghoul Lover, and poor old Bolgum Broken-shield… -_-

4. aamosnyc says:

All my nemeses live in Texas…

5. mercyRPG says:

Shadow of Mordor is the Best Amazing AAA game after Arkham Knight. Excellent engine, which runs maxed out graphics setting really nice and those special Shine-Blur-GhostMode effects are fantastic. The GUI is superb and the combat animation is top notch!! Only the cutscene subtitles are microscopic – being the only negative of this absolutely awesome, highly recommended game. Quality everywhere you look! MUST BUY!

• RegisteredUser says:

Having played the Batman series and SoM, I can with utter certitude say that Mordor’s combat and overall romping around joy is infinitely better done. Combat in particular with Batman is just annoyingly AssCreed “Spam counter, just so much counter”, while SoM is at least really, really good at creating (to some, mainly those that refuse to make use of all that is put at their disposal: a pretense of) variety.

Being able to ride wilderbeast and having a nemesis system on top is just icing. Mordor is all guts and glory – quite literally. :-)

6. Rao Dao Zao says:

I was repeatedly and maddeningly defeated by Pash Runny-Bowels more times than any other opponent, but when the finale came my nemesis was some random nobody that had killed me once in the second half. On the one hand, yay not having to fight that horror again, on the other… uh… how does it calculate the nemesis of nemeses because something didn’t quite fit there?

Drib says:

I recall having a nemesis, but not who he was.

I suppose I’d have to replay the game before starting the second, to be sure I had one I could care about.