Monster Hunter World shows 23 mins of boss-battling

A giant iguana with hair like Nikki Sixx distends its jaw to gulp down a dinosaur in a new Monster Hunter World [official site] gameplay video, and if that’s not entertainment then I don’t know what video games are even for. I’ve been quite keen for a bash at Capcom’s track-o-stab-a-crafty action-RPG as it makes its first proper appearance on PC (ruling out the Chinese MMO Monster Hunter, obvs) and after watching this twenty-minute gameplay video and I can say that yes, I do wish to meet fire-breathing tyrannosaurid with an inflatable nose. I shall forge a mighty weapon from its guts, and hopefully make a little hat for my cat.

That’s over twenty minutes of tracking and fighting one single enemy. Well, with a few minor diversions and detours. Monster Hunter, see, is about murdering monsters in long, long battles. Boss battles galore! Then, after smashing one monster, you use bits from their body to make bigger and fancier weapons to fight bigger and fancier foes.

The video, ah, sure, it’s fine. Going by the constant tutorial chatter explaining everything, this is not Monster Hunter at its most complex. The combat looks a little boring but the player also looks not super-skilled, so I’m not sure how make to take from that. Beyond the fact that oh my gosh, did you see how that sixxguana’s belly swelled? It’s just not right.

Monster Hunter World is hitting consoles in early 2018 but Capcom are more vague about the PC release, saying it is “coming at a later date.”

Iamblichos says:

I can’t imagine fighting a giant mob like this with no health bar… maybe I’m just trapped in my standard VG mindset, but having to continue to whale on something until it arbitrarily decided to keel over would get old very fast. I also wonder what the actual kill time would be if the person playing hadn’t been focused on showing off all the engine options instead of hunting.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

As a Monster Hunter fan–and not even a hardcore one–a quest like this would probably take about 20-30 minutes the first time and then down to 15 minutes or less in subsequent runs as you familiarize yourself with the monster and improve your weapon.

• Kirraw says:

It can indeed change drastically with monster knowledge, weapon moveset knowledge, and of course equipment upgrade. It’s kinda like Dark Soul in a way that some patterns are really exploitable and if you know how to time the rolls I-frames, some monsters can even be trivial.

The lack of HP bar is quite destabilizing, unlike most bosses in DS the different parts of monsters have different “armor value” depending on your type of damage (eg : cutting weapon often do more damage on the belly, blunt on head, etc…), and the tells of a boosted attack are easy to miss (different flashes on hits).

The fact there is no HP Bar sometimes makes you wonder on the 1st try “Is this thing is going to die someday?”, especially against a tough monster. But every time it’s a relief to see the poor beast limping out of the zone.

• KDR_11k says:

The monster takes visible damage and attrition from all of the fighting, you can roughly determine how much of the fight is left by observing that.

• walruss says:

For me, the lack of a health bar is a huge part of the whole draw. You’re right that spending 20 minutes whacking on something without knowing your progress would be demoralizing and boring. Which is why monsters change state as you beat on them. Parts break off, they become enraged, they become tired, and ultimately limp off to their den for the final showdown. For me all that makes it feel less like “I’m hitting this thing until the number of points it has is zero” and more like “I’m hunting a living being.” Just my two cents.

• Kyle700 says:

The guy in this video was HORRIBLE. I mean, yes, he was showing things off and what not, but you could finish this quest very fast compared to this if you knew how to use your weapon.

2. SaltTitan says:

Not having health bars is a pretty core part of the Monster Hunter experience. You have to learn how to read the monsters; all monsters start limping when their health is low and pant when they’re exhausted, but damaging other body parts will have other visual effects. Broken wings mean the monster is less likely to make flying attacks, broken legs can effect their movement, etc. Breaking more body parts also tends to increase the chance of staggering the monster with big hits.

Once you get used to it it makes the game much more visceral and urgent; you never know exactly how close you are so you can’t perfectly plan anything. I would never play a MH game that put health bars on the monsters.

3. tslog says:

Easy. Make monster health bars as visible an option in the menu. Done.

The combat mechanics look rough, but there’s a lot more going on in player choice available then previous monster hunters none of which I’ve liked.

Horizen raise a bar that I’m not coming down from.

• Kirraw says:

Seriously, this would be the best middle ground about it. Or better yet, have an item who do just that into the game that you can find early or possibly easily attainable, so you can have it in your inventory to have see bar at the expense of a slot, or as a Set Bonus. This is a PvE game after all, so is not that consequential for a casual run.

Thing is this will probably not happen. Capcom is a kinda like an all japanese game makers and lack sometimes flexibility when it’s about changing their old mechanics. But hey, they can surprise us, like in this one we can actually see the damages on each hit which is a BIG deal that wasn’t there before. So yeah, there is hope.

• SaltTitan says:

Honestly I wouldn’t like this either because it becomes an objectively advantageous choice over not enabling it/having the item. Learning how to read monster states is pretty core to the experience, putting in any workaround cheapens the game IMO.

• bp_968 says:

Its a single player game, thus the “optional” bit. I never have understood the people that complain this or that “cheapens” their experience, like their compelled by a malevolent force to always enable any and all cheats that are available in the game, thus the game needs to not allow *any* options they disagree with. That’s the neat thing about single player games, you can play it however you want. Enable to “easy mode” features, or disable any and all “tutorial/hand holding” options, your choice!!

I mean do you guys immediately enable all console commands on a game with console commands and then get upset that the game was too easy?

• walruss says:

Most of the series has been multiplayer. If this one isn’t, no sale.

• SaltTitan says:

As others have said, it’s not a single-player game. Ideally it’s played in groups of 2-4 hunters.

And yes, having health bars, even as an option, completely changes the game. The whole tone of the game is built around learning, practice, and teamwork. You learn your weapon’s moveset, you learn your prey’s habits, attack patterns, and tells. You learn your teammates skills and preferred tactics. Every fight is a balancing act, you need to be constantly watching the position of the monster and your teammates (they can’t hurt you, but ask anyone playing with a Longsword player how badly those errant attacks can mess you up). As soon as you add a monster health bar you lose a huge part of that. In MH you have to have to be paying attention until the moment the monster drops (even more if you’re trying to capture it alive), as soon as they have a health bar you change that because now you know it’s almost dead so you can relax. I don’t need to use this last Mega Potion because I know Bob’s next attack will kill him. The uncertainty is an essential part of the game; if it wasn’t they would have put health bars in years ago.

I recommend everyone try a Monster Hunter game if they can. They’re some of the most deep, exciting, and rewarding games I’ve every played with friends and family. But if having a health bar for the enemy is a complete killer for you and you aren’t willing to try a game without it then Monster Hunter just isn’t for you. Not every game needs to appeal to every person, and that’s okay.

• Crabtipus says:

Does Capture Guru cheapen the game too, then?

• Shouldbeworking says:

Normally I would agree with you (i.e. making a health bar an option is better than forcing no one to have one), however I think that would be a serious departure for monster hunter. Before I first played monster hunter (on Wii for what it’s worth), I expected the lack of a health bar to be a massive drawback. However, after defeating a couple of the starting monsters, it became clear that no health bar makes you focus on the monster itself and its tells. If I had the option to turn a health bar on, it would have happened at the start, and then I would never have been exposed to a way of play that feels more organic (and, uniquely monster hunter-esk).

• Kirraw says:

Gotta say it’s my feeling too, I will always remember my 1st DevilJho or Diablos as they are quite tough monsters and the 1st fight seems to take a while.

As I said above, Capcom has always been kinda opaque about some of their Monsters Stats (HP, parts resistance, etc…), as they were mostly showed in publication like Famitsu and never in-game. So the only fact that each attacks show damages and a color if the damage was reduced, instead of just flashes like before, will allow to know approximately how much damage a monster can take. Way easier than before where all you could do is “counting hits” if you really want to know their HP.

• Kyle700 says:

Health Bars are not going to be included in monster hunter. The whole game is built around being immersed in a hunt. It is not that bad. If you play for more than 10 hours (if you played less than 10, you really aren’t liable to comment on monster hunter design since you simply do not know enough about the game if you’ve played less than this) you will realize that the monsters have tons of tells to give you clues about their health. The game is full of subtle details, yet people who don’t know anything about the game ALWAYS complain about this.

Also, the combat isn’t rough. Go watch some videos of other monster hunter speedruns. This guy was just trying to show off the game in the best way possible, not trying to even play really as evidenced by his skill lol. It is a slow, practiced and predictive combat, with more in common with dark souls than street fighter or something.

4. Kits says:

Very much looking forward to this. Played all the handheld Monster Hunter games, but despite how great they are they also feel very limited by the consoles.
    This one however looks very pretty, and not having tiny areas broken up with loading screens will make combat far better.
    I am curious however if they will keep or remove the hunting styles added in Generations. They added quite a lot to it, and had me playing with weapons I did not usually touch.

• Kirraw says:

Seems like this one don’t have hunting styles, at least nothing point at it in their videos. In a way it’s a shame, because it was a great addition in X, but that kinda means that for now it will be a staple of the nintendo’s MH serie. But something tells me they will at least add new special moves for each weapon, and they kept the number of weapons at 14 so that’s ok. (Insect Glaive Hype…)

Comment on this story