Best PC gaming deals of the week

As the summer weather creeps its way back into the world and we’ve somehow crossed the halfway point of 2017 as a year, it sounds like a pretty fair time to stop and take a look at the best deals of the past seven or so days. If only for some retail therapy to ward off the heatstroke. With that in mind, we’ve got deals that’ll work in the UK, deals that’ll work in the US and some deals that will work in both the UK and US, as well as presumably many other places. Let’s get started.

UK & US Deals

Middle-earth Shadow of Mordor for £3.20

A few months ahead of the launch of its much-anticipated sequel, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor: Game of the Year Edition has been cut down in price for the next few days, to just £3.20 / $4 on PC via Steam. It’s also free to play this weekend so you can try before you buy.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor on PC for £3.20 / $4 from Steam

DRM-Freedom Sale from Humble

To celebrate the 4th of July, Humble gathered up a bunch of games that you should probably be playing in their purest, most DRM-free forms and discounted them. Not a bad way to celebrate independence – with a bunch of indie games on the cheap. Here are some of the things you can pick up in the sale:

Outlast 2 for £16.09 / $20.99 / €19.59
Hollow Knight for £7.25 / $9.89 / €9.89
SteamWorld Heist for £5.49 / $7.49 / €7.49
The Witness for £12.39 / $15.99 / €14.39
Owlboy for £12.72 / $16.74 / €15.40
Grim Fandango Remastered for £2.19 / $2.99 / €2.99
The Sexy Brutale for £10.49 / $13.99 / €13.99
Day of the Tentacle Remastered for £2.74 / $3.74 / €3.74
Her Story for £2.49 / $2.99 / €2.99
Broken Age for £3.19 / $3.99 / €3.59
The Fall for £1.59 / $1.99 / €1.79

DRM-Freedom Sale from Humble Store

GOG.com’s Weekly Sale

This week’s offerings from GOG’s long-running Weekly Sale range features up to 90% off a lot of strategy games. Namely, Omerta: City of Gangsters, Tropico 5, Dungeons 2 and even the STALKER series.

Some highlights:

Crookz – The Big Heist for £3.79 / $4.99 / €4.99
Dungeons 2 for £6.29 / $7.49 / €7.49
Omerta: City of Gangsters for £3.89 / $4.99 / €4.49
Tropico 5 Complete Edition for £7.49 / $9.99 / €10
Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl for £3.89 / $4.99 / €4.49

Up to 90% off in the Weekly Sale from GOG.com

Last chance to get Dark Souls 2 in Humble Monthly

We’re officially in July now, which means it’s almost time for the Humble Monthly games to be simultaneously unveiled and replaced with a brand new month’s worth of games. In order to get a copy of Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin along with a stack of other Steam keys, you can sign up for Humble Monthly (£10 / $12) today. The games here are due to change over to a brand new set at about 6pm UK time today.

Last chance to get Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin for $12 / £10 with Humble Monthly

The Art of Overwatch

If you’re an Overwatch fan, there’s a fairly good chance you’re a diehard one. For you, Blizzard is releasing a big, hardcover ‘Art of Overwatch’ book later this year. It’s currently up for pre-order at Amazon and bizarrely cheaper in the US than in the UK at present.

The Art of Overwatch Limited Edition for £70.98 from Amazon UK
The Art of Overwatch Limited Edition for $60 from Amazon US

UK Deals

20% off Amazon Warehouse stuff for Prime members

As part of the deals leading up to Tuesday 11th, July – otherwise known as Prime Day – existing Amazon Prime members will get an extra 20% off purchases from the Amazon Warehouse range this week. That means you can get an Xbox One controller for as little as £29.

20% off Amazon Warehouse purchases for Prime members from Amazon UK

US Deals

The Witcher 3 Complete Edition for $30

If you’ve made it this far into 2017 without owning a copy of The Witcher 3, odds are good that you’re just not ever going to buy it. That said, if you’re tempted to grab a copy of one of the best and most expansive games in recent years, you can pick up a copy of the Complete Edition on PC for $30 this week.

The Witcher 3: Complete Edition on PC for $29.99 from Amazon US

All-in-one Liquid Cooler for $65

Whether you’re building a brand new gaming PC or just looking to upgrade your existing one, you may want to try out a liquid cooling solution. Right now, you can grab a Cooler Master all-in-one liquid CPU cooler for just $64.99 via NewEgg.

Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 all-in-one Liquid Cooler for $64.99 from NewEgg

Okay, we’re done for another week. Keep in mind that deals, prices and availability can change at the drop of a hat, so apologies if you miss out on something you wanted. I’ll be over at Jelly Deals, scouring the world wide web for more deals. Feel free to visit, or follow us on Twitter and give us a like on Facebook.

Did you know that Jelly Deals has launched a newsletter? It lets us bring the best deals directly to you each day. Subscribe here, if that seems like your kind of thing.

1. Slazia says:

Middle-earth Shadow of Mordor – almost 12 dollars here in Japan (usually a little over 46).

2. UnholySmoke says:

I’m on Amazon Prime – can someone link me to a £29 Xbone controller? Not seeing it anywhere.

• Tyranic-Moron says:

The 20% discount gets applied when you go to checkout. So add one of the £36-£38 controllers to your basket then go to checkout.

3. Gothnak says:

I am on the Humble Bundle Monthly. I played Dark Souls 2 for the first time last week. It’s fucking awful.

That is all :).

(Prepares for the Dark Souls backlash and shouts of git good).

• NailBombed says:

In what way is it? Elaboration is necessary here. I don’t have any dog in the fight of the ‘GIT GUD’ Dark Souls community, as I’ve never played any of them. Would like an idea of why to go for the first one instead of the 2nd or 3rd, though.

• Nelyeth says:

Played through the 3 multiple, multiple times. I’d still take any of the three over almost any game.

Dark Souls 1 has what is unanimously accepted as the best interconnected world design in modern gaming, and although it’s definitely got old, it’s still an extremely good game to this day.

Dark Souls 2 has a bland world, a nonexistent lore, and very lacking bosses. Despite that, it also has a tighter, more polished gameplay than Dark Souls 1, and absolutely superb DLCs.

Finally, Dark Souls 3 strikes the balance between 1’s lore and level design, and 2’s gameplay (with Bloodborne’s influence showing). It’s great all around, with perhaps a few questionable decisions over gameplay, but it’s the end the series deserved. To make it even better, coop and PvP are still very alive at any level.

Overall, I’d say 3>1>2, but I’d still tell anyone interested to play them in chronological order, because Dark Souls is just that good. This series has ruined other games for a lot of people, and I myself can’t get away from it for more than a month.

• Tacroy says:

Yeah when people say “Dark Souls 2 is bad”, what they’re saying is “Dark Souls 2 was not as good as the rest of the Souls series”.

DS2 is still better than basically any other game in the genre.

• durrbluh says:

I agree with your breakdown of the series strengths of weaknesses, although I would note that DS3 had some fairly “meh” DLC. Both of them are worth checking out, but if you waited for GOTY edition like I did they felt like development stumbles in an otherwise solid game.

Still, one of the best contemporary series overall, and despite many attempts to impersonate whatever it is that makes DS work it’s definitely still the best in the genre.

• Daymare says:

I am on Rock Paper Shotgun. I read your comment for the first time this morning. It’s fucking awful.

That is all :).

• Gothnak says:

More info…

Booted it up, headed outside (Followed the light after all), got killed by some weird pig things behind a house. Respawned, headed a different way met a guy with a big sword, he killed me in 2 hits. Went a different way met a zombie with a poisonous hammer or something, it killed me.

After 35 minutes, I turned it off.

At no point had anything in the game told me how to do anything apart from ‘A – Open Door’.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

…apart from the tutorial area you walked through before reaching outside, which literally has “Press R1 to hit” messages next to conveniently placed easy baddies for the hitting of, etc.

I understand why people get frustrated with it, and it’s not to everyone’s taste (especially if you felt the need to try a different route every time you died). The ‘fun’ is in persevering until you work out how to progress. If that’s not your idea of fun (and again I completely understand if it’s not) then yeah, Dark Souls isn’t the game for ye. But the lack of instruction is just a lie.

• Gothnak says:

The tutorial Area which had a path, with a light at the end or a bunch of scary portals in caves, which looked too dangerous to go in?

Yeah, the tutorial needed a tutorial i think.

• Unclepauly says:

Dangerous as in your monitor would reach out and slap you if you failed? Or in nothing would happen to you but your video character would die and you start over? It is just a video game

4. Hartford688 says:

As said in the article, if you haven’t got the Witcher 3 yet, you probably never will. And since it is on sale every couple of weeks for exactly the same discount, likely barely rates as news.

But…allows posting a Geralt pic, so I guess necessary.

• Ghostwise says:

Wot an odd statement. I haven’t got Witcher III yet, and I absolutely will buy it at some point in 2018 or 2019.

• Someoldguy says:

Hence the ‘probably’ rather than ‘definitely’. If you’ve waited this long and still intend to buy you’re probably going to wait until it’s even cheaper than this… like it was not that long ago in the GoG summer sale. Still, Amazon are probably smart to try and shift some boxed copies while it’s not being massively discounted on lots of other sites.

• Jason Lefkowitz says:

I remember thinking when it came out “hmm, looks interesting, I’ll wait a little while and pick it up on deep discount in one of the big seasonal sales.” Now it’s years later and I’m still not sure I’ve ever seen it even 50% off yet.

Curse you, games that are so good their publisher never needs to put them out at fire sale prices! Curse you!!!

• sairas says:

I will get Witcher III if I ever manage to finish Witcher II. I remember making it all the way to some woods/swamps once, but for the last couple of years I’ve never made it pass the tutorial …
        I played and enjoyed the first game well enough, but I think I got tired of Geralt back then, which is probably why I never just skipped the II and went straight for the III.

• Someoldguy says:

I never finished 2 either. 3 is significantly better.

• Unclepauly says:

Geralt does seem like the kind of guy who would sleep with your wife behind your back and never bring it up ever again.

MajorLag says:

The Witness, if you haven’t played it, is a game I highly recommend you buy and then, unlike a lot of those other games we buy on sale, actually play.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

This. I must confess I put it down after a few hours when I first got it. Recently returned, though, and could not put it down from there til the end. Fantastic puzzle game (I cannot believe the variety of puzzles created from a seemingly simple set up). And what a wonderful place to explore. Really great game, the way the puzzles and exploration link together is just really satisfying. Superb game.

• Tacroy says:

idk, I really hate that a lot of the puzzles have an audio component. I generally turn down game volume and listen to something else, which means that when I ran in to those puzzles they were absolutely impossible to solve.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Can understand how people missed those ones with the sound down (I’ve had it before with mobile based escape games, thinking this puzzle is impossible!) but to be fair that is one pretty short group of puzzles, and one other individual puzzle i can think of. So about 20 minutes of a 20 hour game, all the rest should be playable sans sound (although I loved having it up – the lack of music, weirdly, really adds to the atmosphere).

MajorLag says:

I found those to be a huge pain as well, being basically tone deaf and all. In fact, I’d go so far as to say I hated about 15% of The Witness because of it, but I still give the game 10/10. Jon is noted as saying he includes puzzles he knows are not fun because the get would be incomplete without them, and he’s completely right about that in regards to what I hated in The Witness. The overall experience is more than worth it.

• cheesysmell says:

Really? I’ve come to believe that there’s a huge conspiracy to make people try this game, because I’ve made three decent attempts to get into it but ended up being really bored, despite enjoying puzzle games in general. Hour after hour of variants of separating colored boxes? Ugh. Strong bounce.

6. mechavolt says:

Sexy Brutale is a great game. It’s not mechanically difficult, and ends up being more similar to a point-and-click adventure. But that music! Those ridiculous murders!

7. Dodgy says:

Thanks for adding some € prices gents!

8. DeadCanDance says:

Happy Geralt is the best Geralt.

• Ghostwise says:

Uh, thanks for the head-up. The game’s not perfect, but at this price even I can support Brazilian game development a tiny bit…