Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds full launch delayed

Cor blimey, love a duck, stone the crows, decide to be ‘just good friends’ with a ptarmigan, and subtweet an owl: another early access game has been delayed. The splendid Battle Royale ’em up Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds [official site] was due to launch in full within six months of hitting early access — by around the end of September 2017 — but creator Brendan ‘Playerunknown’ Greene now says it’ll launch some time from October to the end of the year. The delay is because Bluehole Studio would rather not rush Plunkbat out, obvs, and instead launch when it’s ready.

“I’ve come to realize that restricting the window to a specific month could hinder us from delivering a fully featured game and/or lead to disappointment within the community if the launch deadline is not met,” Plunk himself explained overnight.

“As we continue to fix bugs, improve gameplay and add new content, it’s important to for us to deliver you a fully realized and polished Battle Royale experience as we look towards launch.” So they’re pushing Plunkbat’s full launch back a bit, to some time “before the end of Q4 2017.”

The weekly fix patches and monthly content updates will continue to flow as Bluehole Studio work “to ensure that the game we release is the best version possible.”

Yep, sure, go on. I’m still happily playing Plunkbat most days and don’t see myself tiring of it soon. While some of the updates are smaller than I might have liked, Bluehole are steadily updating it and that’s fine by me.

Future content in the pipeline includes a Peruvian desert map (and maybe bicycles!), an Adriatic island map, and vaulting and climbing. When our Graham chatted with Plunk back in April, he spoke of new modes and things too. I am keen to see the game it becomes (hopefully with a higher framerate).

1. jellydonut says:

This statement aged worse than milk

“I can guarantee you, six or seven months and we’re out of early access. It’s the team. It’s a matter of honour, you know? We will finish this game in six months.”

• void0 says:

When I read that I thought he meant that it would exit early access in whatever state it would be six or seven months from then. Guaranteeing anything else would be silly, especially when he acknowledged the fact that “Game development is hard.” It’s always even harder than you think it is.

• DThor says:

It seems a matter of semantics nowadays – the official point at which a game is “released” is more about marketing and forum based shrieking points, since patches and/or expansions still happen, regardless of when you decide to draw a line in the sand and say something is in pre or post release.

2. Ghostwise says:

Oh, it’s a kind of lagopus. I see.

3. Crusoe says:

Once they add vaulting and climbing and fully optimize the game, I’ll be very happy indeed.

New extras, guns and maps and vehicles, are nice but I don’t care about the timeframe for them.

I hope the essential vaulting mechanic and engine fixes are high on the list of priorities.

DuncUK says:

For the current playerbase “full release” won’t mean much beyond a presumed stats wipe, they update the game regularly and will continue to do so after release. IMO, it’s already very playable and of a pretty high quality. Maybe fix the plane fire trails though, amusing as they are.

However, vaulting this game needs more than anything, it’s frustrating at the moment being armed to the teeth but defeated by a waist high picket fence. The netcode is now at least as polished as many AAA released games and I’m not sure new weapons add all that much. Oh yeah, bicycles would be ace though… definitely needs bicycles.

• SnallTrippin says:

…I always thought those were anti missile defenses, the fire trails that is.

keithzg says:

The inability to surmount waist-high obstacles is indeed annoying, although kindof in keeping with the vague genre. I certainly remember playing Rainbow Six 3 and being wryly amused that the level borders were often shin-high “barriers” that one could easily trip over in real life.

Still, yeah, would be nice. Although not as nice as bicycles! I really hope they do add bicycles.

4. Eastman says:

Great news for the game, I’m glad they came to their senses. It was worrying to think they would rush the game out of Early Access because of some misguided “honour” thing. That’s definitely not how good games are made.

5. Chewbacca says:

Well the game is already fully playable as it is. I rarely doubt that people who are interested in this game care for “Early Access”. The state of the game speaks for itself especially for such a popular game. Will you buy it if the current bugs bother you but it’s not called Early Accesss anymore? Won’t you buy it if all bugs that bother you were fixed but it’s still called Early Access??

6. JKree says:

This game already is in a better state than most early access games I played…
    And who cares about 2-3 months?

cultiv8ed says:

It doesn’t really matter when the official launch is. As soon as you put it out for early access and it gains momentum, its shelf life has started counting down. A big marketing push won’t bring back all the players that got bored of it after a year of playing.

8. BOT J33f says:

I really wish they would focus on the background mechanics of the game…

After this latest patch, as a Beta player with 130 hours+ in the game, I can no longer play, due to constant game-crashing.

I’ve done everything from optimization to checking all my drivers, and still can’t play more than 5 minutes into a game, since this last patch and it’s disheartening…

9. BanditScum says:

Way too much autism when referring to the game in this article. What the fuck is plunkbat? Some kind of inside joke the reader is expected to be in on? You’re writing an article to inform people, stop using memes in place of proper names.

Comment on this story