What are we all playing this weekend?

An illustration from 'Spring-heel'd Jack: the Terror of London.'

Hello again! My apologies for the lack of WAPWPATPWPAP last weekend: I was on holiday and neglected to delegate the responsibility. Who’s fired for that? It’s me. I am fired. I’ll do my best to make it up to you.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: I’m trucking away with Path of Exile, which is as brill as ever, and will hopefully finish the surprising and sinister Get Even. That’s if I can tear myself away from Persona 5, which might be the first JRPG I’ve ever truly loved.
Alec: I’ve gone Full Sad Dad this month and bought an old GameBoy Advance SP off of the Ebays, so I’m afraid to say I’ll be doing Mario things and Zelda wotsits and getting overly-wistful about a time when videogames were so much simpler, calmer and suffered from miserably unsympathetic save systems and the worst kind of unskippable bullshit cutscene. When I grow tired of platformers ten minutes later, I think it’s back to the timeless delights of Rocket League for me.
Alice: I’m away in That England this weekend for a wedding party so I won’t be playing anything. I intend to read, I don’t know, whatever I can buy in the train station. Recently I thought it might be ‘fun’ to scrape some rust off my French by reading French novels but it’s difficult and I miss every subtlety, so I think I’ll leave those at home. Train journeys demand easy reading. That’s why their shops are filled with such wonderful pulp.
Brendan: I picked up Subnautica in last week’s sale and have been swimming with tentacled gentle giants and slowly creating an underwater lair worthy of the most tranquil Bond villain. Why have I been playing any other survival game when we’ve found the best one? I’m a stupid person, that’s why.
Graham: If the past week is any evidence, I will be playing Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds. I’ve become completely hooked, bashing through round after round in my pursuit of being the last person standing. Third is my best, though I regularly finish in the top 20 by being a big scaredy-cat and just avoiding everyone. Did you know there’s a boat by the bridge near the power station? It’s great for floating out to sea and doing nothing for fifteen minutes.
John: This weekend I’m off to see my mum, so will be limited to mobile games. Which makes me happy, as I’m obsessively playing Four Letters, and will continue to do that. And I finally started Republique the other day, so could well poke at that a bit more.
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing XCOM. I should also visit the secret goose convention. If there’s time I should try to fit in a spot of protesting some symphonies.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Grizzly says:

This weekend I’ll be playing Shadow of Mordor as it has a free weekend.

2. Perkelnik says:

Hitman. Great game, great fun. So glad IOI can continue on their own, hopefully they got enough cash for that during the steam sale.

3. Mi-24 says:

Trying to work off a hangover and maybe try to do a bit more in a coop game of resi 5. At first I thought it was really crap (generic zombie shooting, a plot that involves “TERRORISTS” and honestly painful inventory management) but it’s grown on me as I play. I’ve been constantly upgrading the shotgun so thats pretty devastating by now.

4. Chaoslord AJ says:

Rolemaster this evening, then I don’t know. Would be Hollow Knight, really underrated excellent game but they’re adding a free DLC in a few days so I have to stop myself.
    Maybe start Shadowrun: Hong Kong from the backlog.

5. obscured says:

Xcom2 (thanks steam sale) I just started nier automata died at the main boss and had to replay the first hour! and more rising storm 2 vietnam, I might pick up Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds none of my friends have it yet and I have been stung by early access in the past, worth getting?

cairbre says:

I think it’s great anyway so take the plunge and get your friends to get it so you can squad up. Fun times ahead.

• Hoot says:

NieR : Automata is amazing. I’d never played that style of game before so I figured buying it was kind of a risk for me but man…it’s brilliant!

Everything from the soundtrack to the plot to the game mechanics was just really satisfying. Make sure you use the FAR mod though, it improves performance and gets rid of the “mouse on screen” bug. It’s also effortless to install.

• modzero says:

PUBG solo is actually quite fun, so if you get it and have shooter-ey friends you’ll probably get them to play it soon enough.

6. fish99 says:

My Bloodborne NG+ playthrough has been side-tracked by Forza 6 this week. Picked up an Xbox One S just before E3 when there were a bunch of deals, and surprised how much I’m using it.

Also need to get back to Witcher 3 at some point before I forget how to play it.

• nitric22 says:

I bought Witcher 3 on launch. I just finished the story about 3 months ago. Then I bought the DLC! Bah… 2 more years of intermittent monster slaying here we go. No rush. You’ll remember. And then by then CDProjekt will release Cyberpunk and another 4 year cycle of epic RPG’ing will begin.

• fish99 says:

That’s not the first time I’ve seen someone say they spent a very long time playing Witcher 3. I wonder if there’s something about the game that makes people dip in and out, rather than power through it all.

SoundDust says:

I’m playing nerve compression syndrome. It makes me unable to use the keyboard or mouse for anything more than a couple of minutes at a time. So no games for a while :/

Ninja Dodo says:

That’s rough. Is that something that can be worked around / prevented like RSI? If so I recommend using a Wacom type graphic tablet instead of a mouse. Continues to save my wrists. Not suitable for games, but I use it for everything else.

phuzz says:

You can also pick up vertical mice pretty cheap now (I have this Anker one).
        I started to get a bit of some kind of nerve problem in my mouse hand, and it really helped me. I think it worked for me because I feel less friction on my tendons when my lower arm is vertical.

SoundDust says:

It’s supposed to go away with stretching and, well, rest. But might take months, as I’ve heard from others with similar things. A tablet might be something to get some relief with..

Ninja Dodo says:

I have one of these, the A5 size (which is good enough for basic art stuff and fine for general use). link to tabletpcreview.com

I keep mine next to the keyboard like a mouse though most seem to have it in front of the keyboard. Used to be that Wacom was the only option for this type of thing though I hear these days Monoprice Graphic Tablets are a solid alternative.

Also I would tentatively recommend learning to juggle. I find it a good exercise for the wrists (though to be clear I have never sought any expert opinion on whether this is actually helpful).

jssebastian says:

(second attempt at a reply, as my first comment was swallowed by the intertubes)

I feel you. Some advice from my experience:

– listen to your body. If jamming on those keys actually hurts, stop
        – OTOH, don’t panic, don’t overreact. Most people who use computers a lot have some level of occasional discomfort, it’s not a disability, you’ll be fine
        – ergonomics makes all the difference. If I used the little laptop keyboard and touchpad I’m typing on now for a long session, I’d quickly get sore, but I can work all day with my work setup without issues. So experiment a bit and find keyboard, mouse and table set up that work for you

I personally use a kinesis advantage keyboard (expensive I know) and a handshoe mouse (not adding link in case that’s what’s caused my previous post to be filtered, but you can find them). In both of them, the wrist is not moving. The mouse arm is moving at the elbow, which rests on the chair’s arm rest. On the keyboard, the palm of the hand is resting on the keyboard and all the keys are within reach without twisting around.

SoundDust says:

I’ve considered the roller mouse but that too is a bit of an investment. Didn’t know about the Advantage stuff, or the Handshoe. Thanks!

• floogles says:

Have you tried yoga? It doesn’t sound logical but it helped my RSI and eye stain significantly.

8. SaintAn says:

I’m hooked on Subnautica. Got it on sale and just tried it to see how it runs and I’ve been playing it ever since. It has many of my phobias and scares the Reclaimed Liquid out of me, but it’s just so damn good that I just can’t help but face my fears. I’m shocked at just how well thought out stuff in this game is. Like the Cyclops sub, it’s a huge sub that’s pretty much a mobile base you can walk around and build stuff in, AND IT CARRIES YOUR LITTLE SUB OR POWER ARMOR! And I just built my first PRAWN power armor an hour ago and built the grappling hook arm to go with it and it’s just brilliant! I was swinging around the sea like an underwater spiderman. AND IT EVEN GRAPPLES ANIMALS! I latched onto that scary bug-fish-shark things that hide in the sand and punched the living hell out of it, then I did it to a sandshark bug-sish-thing. I was so scared of those creatures, but now they’re nothing to me. I absolutely love how when you start the game it’s pretty much a Lovecraftian horror game (it actually reminds me of Lovecraft’s Dagon story somewhat), but as you build more and more tech you become more and more deadly until most things aren’t even a threat anymore. The power of tech bending nature to its will, as one message said.

I am so excited to let my sister play it next time she comes over. Anyone that doesn’t own it yet should try it, it’s well worth the price on or off sale. Just wish the map was randomly generated though. And wish it had more fitting music a lot of the time.

9. Keios says:

I will be attempting to do a PlUnkBaG, but “playing” is probably implying a level of competence far outside what I can actually manage.

10. Joriath says:

I discovered Path of Exile a week and a half back and haven’t played anything else since; I imagine this weekend won’t be any different.

Should, however, I feel like something different I picked up Motorsport Manager during the Steam sale and am in my second ERS season. I made the mistake of hiring a new driver with exorbitant wages so I’m sacrificing my car for the next season for the sake of making minor profits each race. Shame there isn’t any immediate revenue for race wins other than sponsorship, as I’ve won two of the first three races of the season so far.

11. Discosauce says:

The Witcher 3 and some of the lovely stand-alone Gwent.

AutonomyLost says:

I’ll be playing a bit of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, as well as some DOOM and perhaps a dip into my NG+ in TW3.

Oh, and Rime for sure. I downloaded it last night and find it wonderfully relaxed and also beautiful.

• Puddingbrummsel says:

I’m playing Deus Ex MD as well, and it’s way better than people led me to believe. So far it’s pretty much what I expect from a sequel (well…Farida not being in it sucks imo). I guess a lot of the grief people give the game comes from the one-use DLC buys and the ending, both of which is Square meddling as far as I remember…?

• second_hand_virgin says:

Adam Jensen. This is the biggest bug of these reboots, he is so irritating, that every thought about replaying both games ends in short, hoarse “No, you don’t wanna be Jensen again”.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I think Alec did an article on here along the lines of “don’t let this golden age end”, saying exactly that: games as good as Dishonoured 2 and Deus Ex MD are coming out and they’re not even blowing the world away. It’s just the expected standard.

DX:MD’s Prague is one of the greatest levels ever made. As long as you go in knowing there aren’t many other levels to add to that, I think anyone would be delighted with that game.

Ninja Dodo says:

I’ve never had a problem with Adam Jensen, personally. He’s not the most dimensional protagonist but I found him a lot more engaging than JC Denton honestly.

I really enjoyed the game. Prague is spectacular, and if you take one-off missions into account there’s still a fair amount of globe-trotting as well.

Even the ending doesn’t deserve the flak it gets. It clearly works towards a third new game (which we’ll hopefully still get at some point) and towards the events of the original Deus Ex… It leaves some things open and some questions unanswered, but the main thread of the story is very much resolved by the end.

And the fact that the game originally had a larger scope, I’m like “So what?!”: ALL games have features, and often whole areas, cut during development in order to ship a functional game to a deadline. I wonder if anyone complaining about the ending or length of Mankind Divided has ever read or listened to Warren Spector talk about all the things they cut from Deus Ex 1 (it was a lot)… Designs change, features are cut. That’s just game development.

Carra says:

I’ll play some more far cry primal. It’s fun but after ten hours my character progress already seems to be maxed out.

14. Ejia says:

I wanted to play Song of the Deep, but Steam refuses to install it properly, so instead I’m playing Azure Striker Gunvolt.

It’s the spiritual successor to the Mega Man (X) games, which is unsurprising as it’s an Inti Creates platformer. It basically goes: Mega Man X -> Zero -> ZX -> ASG.

Also apparently there is a lo-fi pixel platformer prequel called Mighty Gunvolt, so instead of yelling at Mighty Number 9 just go play those two.

15. Mister eX says:

I should make some progress towards completing Pillars of Eternity – with its expansions, so I still have plenty of time in that. I’ll probably wander around a bit in Fallout 3 which I’ve recently started for the first time. Should continue XCOM: EW. Should finally play Edith Finch. :D Should continue Outlast which I’ve recently reinstalled after chickening out the first time. :D Should start The Banner Saga 2, Ori and The Blind Forest (DE). :D
    So, “should” do a lot of stuff, but I’ll probably end up playing F1 2016 between the IRL Austrian Grand Prix sessions, watching some movies, and hopefully progressing in at least two of the mentioned games. :D The good thing is that I’ll not be working on monday. :)

16. Serenegoose says:

There is no secret goose convention.

17. Serenegoose says:

I think this might be the time where I don’t say ‘Endless Space 2’ this weekend, and instead say ‘Torment: Tides of yeah that one’. I’ve only really done the character creation, and gosh, since reading that Jeff Vogel article about pillars’s character creation and the words:data ratio, I’ve become super sensitive to that. torments character creator is largely not too wordy but it does have the problem that I have no idea what the words Mean. Whether this is a game that’ll give me a miserable time if I have an unoptimised build or if I can just do whatever and it’ll work I have no idea, so I tried to utilise common sense to take a build that didn’t seem wholly contradictory and hopefully speed and bullshit won’t be the worst stats in the game, eh?

18. Sakkura says:

There’s another open beta weekend for Echo Arena, the zero-G VR game that’s basically the Ender’s Game sport without guns. So I’ll be spending some time on that.

Ben King says:

I’m a couple hrs into subnautica myself now and although it’s cute and pretty I’m not exactly totally hooked yet. I do enjoy simply equipping animals I’ve caught and awkwardly explaining how I will be eating them shortly to their wee wittle fish faces. Also witcher 3 some more, and maybe a bit of devil daggers. Also I’m making a delicious BBQ chicken with a garlic honey habanero sauce on the grill and continuing my ongoing not-so-delicious home made ginger beer soda experiments. I could use advice.

20. JRay says:

Bit o’ Prey and Nier (gifted to me during the Steam sale). Also dabbling in my roommate’s copy of Destiny to see what the rumpus is about with the sequel coming to our platform of choice.

21. Agnosticus says:

Dead Cells! Wow, it captures the Rogue Leagacy addiction and even surpasses it, great game!

And RL ofc, trying to get some OC’s, no luck yet.

22. SBLux says:

I picked up Prey in the summer sale and I am about to dive in. Ooh Betty I am excited!

23. zauberkraut says:

Tom Clancy’s Dating Simulator

Captain Narol says:

I am on a quest !

I’m looking for the best competitive tactical turn-based CGG to replace Magic Duels in my daily routine of ranked PvP, now that WOTC has shamelessly announced they will no more add expansions to it to focus on future unreleased new products.

Current Contenders :

– Hex : Shards of Fate
    – Hearthstone
    – Eternal
    – Smite Tactics
    – Shardbound

I’m still undecided, even if I like the gameplay of Shardbound the most (but it’s still in EA and maybe not very well balanced yet).

PS : I excluded Duelyst and Faeria despise being solid games because I didn’t like the artstyle, but I am open to other suggestions.

• Hoot says:

Although it’s very different from typical (and non-typical) computer card games, GWENT is very, very good.

• Discosauce says:

Have you tried out some Gwent? It has more or less replaced HS for me.

Captain Narol says:

Well, from what I have read, Gwent is more a game of bluff than of tactics, so that’s less my stuff even if all reports say it’s a great game.

Also, I haven’t played The Witcher 3 yet but I plan too, so I will get then an occasion to see if the core gameplay interest me or not.

25. Hoot says:

Finally finished The Witcher 3 only to decide that narratively the Hearts of Stone expansion makes sense only if played before the Isle of Mists quest.

So…good thing I saved at most major story junctions. So I’ll be doing HoS THEN finishing The Witcher 3 again! Ending was awesome enough to justify it.

Oh, then I’ll play Blood and Wine :)

jssebastian says:

I played hearts of stone after finishing the game… initially it did feel a little anticlimatic after the big ending, but after a while I got into it anyhow. Why do you think it needs to be played before isle of mists?

Still have a few hours left in blood and wine, will be sad to say goodbye to Geralt after that…

• Hoot says:

*SPOILERS*

Well, narratively it just seems to fit the timeline. The prime reason is that Ciri is safe on the Isle from the Hunt (thanks to a certain fairy light given to you by the Mysterious Elf who I won’t name for spoiler reasons), you’re to set about gathering allies and accepting an odd Witcher contract, long as it may turn out to be, just seems like the right time.

I mean after the Isle it’s basically full steam ahead for me, the storyline kinda grips you and events have a certain pressure behind them.

Also, you’re more or less at the right level for it then. Ideally I would have liked to have done it just before visiting Kaer Morhen. This is just how I see it though. Obviously Blood and Wine is meant to come after the events of the main game.

26. Kefren says:

I just finished Brutal Doom (well, got to the last level, gave up on the boss fight). Started NOLF again last night after the recent RPS article. Tip: L = flashlight (it isn’t listed in the controls).

• Arona Daal says:

To the far right is a Nook where you can Shoot the final Boss from Cover in *relative* Peace, also his Attacks improve with time not Hp lost, so dont delay whittling him.

Also i am playing the new Build of XPIRATEZ,for several Weeks now.

It is great.

Imho one of the greatest Free Indie Games/mods ,
      up there with the likes of Spelunky ,Brutal Doom,Zero-K,DDA cataclysm,PR.

So much Love and Detail if a bit silly also complex at Times.
      Compared to the original Xcom/UFO :
      It contains Things like a New Storyline,Nightvision,a *Searchfunction* (which it needs,as it has an incredible Amount of Bootypedia Entries),Sprinting,forced Firing,Slave Soldiers,Ransom, Melee Mechanics, Infiltration Missions, Underwater Missions, Spaceraids, Timed Missions,Cloaking, Camouflage, and much much more.

If you try it,a here are few Hints.
      There are a many undocumented Hotkeys i wanted to pass on:
      In aiming Mode,pressing ALT to displays the damage and hitchance,ALT+m Shows the damage for melee weapons.
      RMB and MMB display the Wiki… errr…. BOOTYpedia entry for whatever you are pointing at,works almost *everywhere*,in Combat/inventory/List/research/market. Try it.
      Turn of your personal Lights during Night Missions ,and turn on Nightvision Mode.Thats two separate Keys.

27. wcq says:

I was playing the sadly-overlooked Hollow Knight until last night, when I completed it. Man, some of the optional content in that game is brutal.

After that, I started playing Tactics Ogre on an old PSP I found in my game pile. And sure enough, this game doesn’t pull any punches either.

Maybe I should find some games that don’t kick my ass. I’m supposed to be on vacation!

28. malkav11 says:

Will be dipping into Hex for my weekly draft and maybe a bit of revamped Frost Ring Arena. Will probably spend enough time in Secret World Legends to complete my daily challenges both days this weekend. I loathe the F2P stuff and the combat changes are for the worse, IMO, but the core game is just so good that it makes up for a lot.

In terms of less daily/weekly-grind gaming my main candidates are likely to be Doom 2016 (back from the first trip to Hell and officially one level past the halfway mark), Nier: Automata (picked up during the Steam sale and played just enough to meet the Resistance and ride a moose) and trying to finish off Mass Effect Andromeda (I still think it’s a lot better than it’s being given credit for, but I have officially burnt out on the excessive amount of sidequesting so I’m going to try to focus on actually plot relevant stuff like loyalty missions and the main quest, with a few sidebars that I think might have entertainment value.).

29. gabrielonuris says:

Prey. No, not that one, the 2006 version, and for the first time in my life.

It has so many ideas plastered over the game that calling it a breath of fresh air would be an understatement. Why can’t we get games like this anymore?

30. Minglefingler says:

Finished my NG+ in Bloodborne last week, I might pull a friend in to help me kill The One Reborn in NG++. Not that I expect to need help with that particular boss, my mate is just greedy for echoes and has played most of his first ever game in co-op despite me advising against it. I’ll mainly be playing Dark Souls this weekend and most of next week as I’m off work for a few days. After finally killing that tosser Havel I’m about to have a go at the Iron Golem, then it’s off to Anor Londo to see how well Hidden Body works on archers.

31. michelangelo says:

After touching released demo, I dived into (and finished) 2nd Dishonored and then even the 1st one.

And after incredibly distasteful 3th Witcher (nothing but amazing landscape design…) I really appreaciated joy both Dishonored’s contained. One is better written (1st one), and second is visual and gamedesign step up (been playing no magic Emily) and masterpiece. I was missing only one essence there—Thiefs’ sound perfection. And parts dedicated to Void felt bit cheap and hit/miss to me.

It’s past presence. Now I am absolutely having no interest in games. Shiny and long summer days. Couch, friends and NHL is the only option crossing my mind :)

32. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Skyrim, again. It’s 2017 and still nobody has made a game that I like more than this one. Currently using the Apocalypse magic mod for the first time, and it’s a blast–my fave spell so far is the dremora summon whose power attacks knock enemies into the air (it even works on giants! It also works on you, as I discovered when I decided to attack my own summon, and he proceeded to wallop me repeatedly into a lake). I’m having so much fun just roaming around the world without fast travel, plotting my routes based on the quests I have. If SKSE ever gets released for the special edition, it’ll be perfect.

Also probably going to play some more of Telltale’s Batman, which was one of my Steam sale purchases this year. After the first two episodes it hasn’t wowed me like Wolf Among Us or Tales from the Borderlands did, but I’m a sucker for Bruce/Selina stories, and that aspect of this one is quite good. Also Laura Bailey is the best Catwoman <3

• ninjapirate says:

I’ve been meaning to give Skyrim another shot after only playing it for about 10 hours back in the day. In the meantime, so many mods have been released that supposedly improve the game, but I’m completely lost whenever I try to find “the good ones”… are you playing it vanilla?

• JakeOfRavenclaw says:

The “top files” list on Nexus Mods is actually a pretty good starting point I think. I’m fond of Immersive Patrols, Apocalypse Magic, and Immersive Armors to add some flavor.

33. second_hand_virgin says:

Dying in Stellaris, dying in Crimsonland, dying in Neon Chrome, maybe I should find another form of entertainment, more suitable for someone with summer slowed brain and clumsy fingers. I’ve heard that meeting people could be fun.

34. Daymare says:

I dunno what I’m playing. I wanted to play nuPrey, but my saves got corrupted, barring entrance to the Talos Exterior. As of now, I can still follow the main story line (I’m in Arboretum), but the knowledge that my game’s been borked in places has drained a lot of joy I had with it. (Yes, I have all the newest patches, drivers, etc.)
    Also, using the gloo gun blobs as stairs to get anywhere is so goddamn frustrating.

I wanted to finish Dark Souls 3, but I can’t seem to beat Soul of Cinder. I’ve started using Embers to beat the Princes and the Nameless King, used some for Soul as well, but I feel like I’d rather leave it out. Might buy the DLC and try my luck there, no matter that the bosses are said to be more difficult. I wanted to give DS1 a try (after only playing and failing, back when it came out), but I’ve HAVE to finish DS3 before.

So I played a bit of League of Legends (there’s something cathartic about picking my favorite strong champs in the Howling Abyss via Poro King) with some friends and I’ve thought about giving The Evil Within another go. A game I really liked, but I think got frustrated by a combination of difficulty and shitty controls. Both of those things might’ve been fixed for various reasons.

I’ll have to write my Thesis anyway. Better do that.

35. Polite Rude Boy says:

DOOM

Steamworld Heist

Zeno Clash

36. Viral Frog says:

A rather large list of things. Caveblazers, Overwatch, Ori and the Blind Forest, Papers, Please, Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon. Oh, and Cities: Skylines.

I am also cutting my gaming time short tonight to go watch the Seattle Mariners lose to the Oakland Athletics in a game of baseball. My home teams all suck. Good thing I’m not a fan of any of them and am looking forward to their defeat!

darrrrkvengeance says:

probably Stories Untold and A Normal Lost Phone, both of which i picked up in the Steam sale. (also, continuing my slow progress through the Higurashi When They Cry VN, which i read on the stationary bike.)

38. geldonyetich says:

I’ve decided to try to beat Dark Souls. Only, hardly anyone plays it anymore, so I basically have to solo all the boss monsters.

• Vandelay says:

You want to get hold of DSCM. Run that in the background and you will be able to get summons. I believe the main game doesn’t have servers any more or they are limited. Lack of finding people isn’t because they aren’t there.

If you are having issues, the RPS forum has a mega Dark Souls thread that is always near the top that is bound to have people willing to give you a hand and using that mod will allow you to connect directly with them.

• Minglefingler says:

Damn, that’s bad timing. I started a playthrough this week and would have happily helped you out but I’m in the 40s level- wise which means it’s unlikely you’ll been able to summon me. Missed the overlap window by a few days at most.

39. Vandelay says:

I’m playing games in the future, having just received an HTC Vive earlier in the week. Seriously, it is incredible. Yes, the current iteration suffers from screen-dooring that makes text barely readable, isn’t wireless and could do with being less of a big box on your face (especially in this heat,) but I can safely say that it was well worth diving in right now.

Games I got along with it have been Bridge Crew, Subnautica, To the Top, Holopoint and Superhot VR. The last two are probably the most successful games, doing the Wii Sports thing of being instantly understandable. You also feel downright badass straight off (I can’t end a Superhot level without throwing the guns aside.)

To The Top (climbing game, where you have robot hands that spring out to latch onto certain surfaces,) is almost in that group too, but feels like it needs a bit more polish. Sometimes it feels like you should be able to grab a surface, but for some reason can’t. Standing at the end of a level and looking back from where you came is incredible though. The 3D effect really works here.

Bridge Crew is a real giddy dream of a game, for a Trek geek like me. It also is one of the most disconcerting games, as it is one of the few I have tried that has normalish hands, instead of some abstract representation. Not sure how my brain would cope if I could see my fingers move as well. It does feel like something that has to be played with others though, which is rather limiting with the number of VR headsets out there.

Lastly Subnautica is a game that has had VR bolted on. As incredible as it looks, it unfortunately does feel like it needs more work on the VR implementation. The lack of support the controllers is disappointing and seeing someone’s else’s arms swimming where yours should be is just weird. It really looks amazing though and seeing some huge creature off in the murky depths is truly intimidating.

So, big thumps up from me for the VR so far!

Edit: oh, meant to say the screen door effect in Subnautica is really bad too. Text is barely readable and needs to be increased in size by at least 3x.

particlese says:

Oh, nice! Glad you’re enjoying it, and thanks for the reminder about Superhot VR. I’ve company over and they loved To The Top, and I’m hoping we’ll have time for Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, but Superhot is probably the time-limited way to go, now that I’ve been reminded of it. We also played some Fancy Skiing since we’re all ski bums of varying sorts and magnitudes. It’s stupid, one-note, unpolished fun, and that polish is apparently bad enough that we had one bit of sim-sickness that went away with a quick rest and a switch to To The Top. But, if you’re fairly resilient to sim-sickness and don’t have a problem with the cost, it can be good stupid fun. (You flail your arms to go, tilt your head to turn, hit deer for bonus points, and listen to silly music. Death is usually unfair, and there’s only one course.)

40. tehfish says:

Got Little Nightmares in the steam sales and i may have to replay it again this weekend, it’s absolutely awesome, love it to bits.

Also playing Xcom: EW again, about 3/4 through and loving my ridiculous combo of “Mr Punchy” (melee specced MEC, So much <3 for the kinetic strike module) and "Mrs Railgun" (sniper-based MEC, it's nice having a MEC that can actually aim the gun this time)

That said, all the people mentioning Subnautica makes me want to go play that again. I haven't played for a few patches, so there should be nice new bits to see now :)

• Daymare says:

I’d invited a bunch of friends for a movie night. After watching KONG (2017) they asked what we’d see next? Having planned nothing beyond that, I wondered if maybe Little Nightmares might be fun to “Let’s play”. It’s a gorgeous looking game and I’d had lots of fun finishing it.

So I started a NG, and everybody had a great time, cheering, throwing out ideas and generally admiring its design and atmosphere.

• tehfish says:

Thats actually a really good idea.

Little nightmares is one of those games where it’s practically as fun to watch as actually play, so in a group of friends setting it’d be quite awesome :)

Must remember that next time i’m at a friends for an an evening :)

• Daymare says:

:) I’ve also played Subnautica again, like, last week, after some months in between. The changes to the Cyclops make it almost feel like a different game, but more engaging, I thought.
          I just wish you could see farther in it. Navigating in dark environments was almost impossible for me.

You can see it’s much closer to the finish line now, even tho there’s still some stuff missing/unpolished.

41. ffordesoon says:

There is only Zelda.

jssebastian says:

I’ll be buying a toy cowboy revolver, which is the last missing piece for my Westworld man in black costume for a party tonight, that amazon will not ship to california because guns.

Recently played some 5 hours of the inaccurately named demo “prey: the opening hour”, cleaning up almost every corner of the Talos lobby. Was not sure if this game would be my cup of tea, and it wasn’t for the first hour, but then between the gloo gun, the turrets and the quick save/load, I realized it’s not a shooter and not a horror game, it’s a big toy box.

Then got the actual game and found out I have to start all over as the save does not carry over!

(EDIT: ugh, did not mean that as a reply to you ffordesoon)

42. Gomer_Pyle says:

War Thunder as usual, probably continue with my Stellaris (though I am starting to get a little bored …), and continue with SteamWorld Heist.

43. Killy_V says:

Nex Machina, The Witcher 3 , Eve Online.

Nex Machina is indeed awesome ! I’ve reached rank 427 in rookie on the leaderboard !!!

Seyda Neen says:

I’ll be playing Prey. It didn’t hook me in the first two hours but since then I’ve been enjoying it (ten hours so far). It’s got me writing down notes. I really like games that move me to write notes.

My impression as someone who’s never played System Shock is basically if you took an office dungeon from a Fallout where you read through the terminals, notes, etc and piece together the stories, and then expanded that into a whole game, you’d get Prey. I love the slow exploration, that’s what the game is all about for me.

Ninja Dodo says:

I too am playing this. I was a little ambivalent about the space station lab setting as I’m kinda over that as a theme, but I’m really liking the way the world and gameplay fits together.

45. Bly says:

I will definitely be playing Skyrim over this weekend. I am sort of re-addicted to the game. I just love running around and taking virtual hikes in that world.

I am also trying to download Elder Scrolls Online. I started the download Thursday and it should be done either today or tomorrow. I hate my slow connection.

46. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Hyper Light Drifter here. Such a brilliant game, definitely my favourite of the year so far. So glad I picked it up in the Steam sale, damn you John for nearly making me miss it!

Reminds me of Dark Souls in a lot ways, but then overlayed with this gorgeous, emotive aesthetic. And the music! Oh the music. Just wonderful.

And if I finish that, then there’s more Steamworld Heist to be enjoyed. Cracking game, if a little repetitive. Hence the break.

47. Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

I’ll be starting the last level of Hitman. It’s a really great game so far.

I’m also going to replay Dishonored 2 before Death of the Outsider is out, and I’m thinking of starting that this weekend.

Seyda Neen says:

Ooh, which character will you play in Dishonored 2? Going for any gameplay goals?

• Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

I think I’m going to play as low-chaos Emily again. I’ve completed the game 4 times so far but have not tried the no-powers mode, so I’m going to do that too.

48. floogles says:

Yay WAWAPTW is back.

I’m playing Arcanum and Final Fantasy 13-2. Both are immensely frustrating and satisfying in their own ways. Actually, maybe the flaws are reflective: Arcanum is under polished, FF is over polished. Both great fun though.

49. nitric22 says:

I’ve picked up and played bits of Watch Dogs, Little Nightmares, Snake Pass (actually love this one!), and Northgard (I reckon this will get better with some practice on my part, a little challenging out the gate) this past week. As I hover my mouse over my several dozen currently installed Steam games, I more often than not am clicking on Insurgency. I really do enjoy the balance between arcade and realism that they created. It as if they blended America’s Army with a dash of CoD and just about nailed it. So, multiplayer shooty pow pow will be my main course this weekend.

Oh, and Humble Bundle just unlocked, so I’ll dabble a bit in Armello hopefully. GalCiv3 and Dark Souls 2 will just have to wait though. Only so many hours in a month.

50. Rainshine says:

Tried out Shadows of Mordor. Vindicated in not buying it. Mildly fun, but the keybinds are annoying, and it gets boring in about twenty minutes for me.
    Trying Curious Expedition; again, no idea how it works, and somewhat annoyed that after the tutorial, the first place I come to, I light a torch, go in, and apparently lose my entire party? I don’t really understand the dice.

• fish99 says:

I’m not saying Shadows of Mordor is a great game, but you should give it more than 20 minutes. It’s still introducing game mechanics at that point.

Comment on this story