You can now play God of War III and Killzone Shadow Fall on PC

God of War III

The PlayStation Now streaming service hasn’t got a lot of love since it launched last year. That’s probably because of the price: it’s a keen £12.50 a month to stream PS games to your desktop or laptop. But there are a lot of great titles there, and it’s the only way to get the likes of Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain, and Shadow of the Colossus on PC.

Sony have just expanded the games on offer by adding PS4 games for the first time, as they promised they’d do back in March. You can ignore most of them because they’re already available on PC (Evolve, Tropico 5, Saint’s Row IV, etc) but a few interesting PS exclusives have been added, namely Killzone Shadow Fall, God of War III Remastered and side-scrolling shoot ’em up Resogun. Sadly no Bloodborne yet, but we can only hope for the future.

Killzone Shadow Fall is probably the biggest of the bunch. It was well-received, especially for its visuals and flashy set pieces. I’ve never played it but I blasted my way through earlier games in the Killzone series, and had a good time.

With God of War III you know what you’re getting, and it’s one of the best hack-and-slashers about. Resogun is worth a look if you’re into bullet hell games.

So, does this change my mind on picking up PS Now? Well, I wouldn’t pick it up for the new games alone, but the update has reminded me how many great games are available on the service – here’s our list of the 10 best. And I’ll say it again, it’s the only way to play Red Dead Redemption on PC. Now that my memory has been jogged, I think I might just have to try it out for a month and blitz through the best of what’s on offer.

PS Now also has a seven-day free trial, in case you’ve got a week off work and fancy a binge.

Read the full list of new games on the PlayStation blog.

If you’ve used the service, how have you found it?

1. yogibbear says:

How fast does your internet connection need to be to get 60fps? I’m on 1.8MB/s down, 100kb/s up. Which is the fastest internet available in the 1st world country I live in. :( I’m sure this would be unplayable right?

2. ansionnach says:

It’s not the only way to get Shadow of the Colossus on PC.

3. TychoCelchuuu says:

I don’t think Bloodborne would be playable – there’s always a bit of lag on a game streaming service and that’s a game that needs split-second timing.

• liquidsoap89 says:

People have beaten those games with guitars and DDR pads. I’m sure people can manage with a tiny bit of lag.

• TychoCelchuuu says:

That’s true. Much like I wouldn’t enjoy playing those games with DDR pads or guitars, I wouldn’t enjoy them with the stream delay I had when I tried out PSNow, but not everyone is particularly picky.

• fray_bentos says:

Indeed, Bloodborne runs at 30fps; input lag is essentially hard coded into the game already.

• fish99 says:

The mechanics have been tuned to take into account the controller lag, HDTV lag, the framerate etc. Adding another bunch of lag would probably ruin the game.

• typographie says:

I’ll play Bloodborne on the day it gets a proper port to run natively on PC with a minimum cap of 60 FPS. And if that never happens, I suppose I’ll just have to play one of the thousands of other games already available on PC that Sony apparently doesn’t think they have to compete with.

• fish99 says:

Then you’ll never play Bloodborne.

• UnConsolable says:

Nicely put – I’m having a blast with Dead Cells right now. They can keep ‘their’ cake all to themselves till it ‘grows eyes on the inside’ or whatever.

4. woodsey says:

Pretty sure it hasn’t gotten much love because the actual streaming bit is abysmal. Not sure if it’s a fault with the service or the tech itself just isn’t there.

5. kraken says:

A very important detail that should have been included in the article:
    *This service is currently available in the UK, the Netherlands and Belgium.

6. Someoldguy says:

I just don’t find this appealing. If I was going to commit to £12 a month I’d sign up to Humble Monthly and get several recent good games to keep permanently every time I was billed. Not rent access to older good games and have nothing to show for it once I cancel the service. If I absolutely had to play some classic PS3 games, I’d buy a refurb ps3. There are plenty to be had for a decent price.

7. TheH says:

*cough* RPCS3 *cough*

8. K33L3R says:

Seriously considered this but opted for simply getting a PS3 console seeing as they aren’t that expensive 2nd hand any more. One trip to a store that sold second hand games got me Uncharted 1 & 2, Darksiders 2, Resistance and The Last of Us for £15. Not going to complain.
    Paying monthly isn’t flexible, must be annoying if you get to the end of the month with a 3/4 finished game so you pay another monthly fee just to finish it. There’s nothing to say you’ll want to play anything else on PS Now at that moment in time once you have completed it
    I say get the console itself while they are super easy to get hold of and the games cheap. Not to mention being void of the problems with internet speeds and streaming, the fact that you are renting the game, the service could shut down or there might be weird idiosyncrasy’s with your PC, the controller and your connection

Carra says:

I bought a second hand PS3 when the PS4 was released. Quite a few were on sale, mostly from guys upgrading to a PS4.

€250 three years ago bought me GTA 5 & the Last of Us (they were less then a year old back then), the three uncharted games, the god of war games and a few other games thrown in. I just added Red Dead Redemption & Heavy Rain for a few extra bucks. Got me quite a few hours of fun, still playing a game on it from time to time.

9. welverin says:

I take issue with saying Killzone Shadow Fall is the biggest of the bunch, it’s a not particularly special FPS.

God of War 3 on the other hand, is a great game.

goodpoints says:

Only memorable thing about Shadow Fall is the half-awesome OST, the good half of which was done by Lorn. Just listen to his half on youtube.

Comment on this story