Deus Ex overhaul mod GMDX launches final version

If magic isn’t real, you explain why me chanting DEUS EX DEUS EX DEUS EX has just caused sent several dozen people to, without even realising, reinstall the vintage FPS-RPG. But hold up, bewitched nostalgics! After years of development, the overhaul mod Give Me Deus Ex [official site] has launched its final version. GMDX shakes things up with more-advanced AI for a tougher challenge, improved mantling for agile Dentons, expanded physics for fancier mayhem, and new textures and bits for people who say “Ew, is that a pixel?” If the magic words compel you to return to Deus Ex, you might fancy a few surprises. Observe, a trailer showcasing newnesss:

AI changes are perhaps the feature I’m most interested in, as by now I know Deus Ex well enough to not be surprised by anything enemies do. Enemies are a solved problem for me, something I don’t need to put any thought into – which is a shame. The team say that changes in the final version of GMDX include:

• New semi-elaborate AI post-combat searching sub-state: Enemies will search the area more elaborately, open nearby doors, check hide points, and potentially raise the alarm or throw flares. Some may also stay behind and wander the area when everyone has cleared off.
  • NPCs now throw gas grenades into vents.
  • NPCs now react to flares more elaborately.
  • Cloak NPCs sometimes turn it on when seeking, if they think they saw you.
  • AI now shoot through glass.

I like some of the added detail in levels, though less keen on those new textures. I like the smooth look of Deus Ex. All the noise of this — and so many other texture packs for other games — is a style too different for my liking. But hey, magic always brings a few complications.

GMDX v9.0 is available to download from Mod DB.

If you fancy a Deus Ex which changes a little more, have a look at the Deus Ex: Revision mod. It makes far bigger changes to the world, reshaping bits and adding a lot more detail, while also tweaking its gameguts a little and adding new modes like New Game+ and wave survival arenas.

1. Glacious says:

That sounds like this remix of the UNATCO theme to me – link to ocremix.org

Colour me intrigued by this mod. Other than making the game play nice with modern resolutions, upgrades to the graphics of Deus Ex never interested me too much. This one seems to focus on the main draw of the game – the systems and mechanics – and hopefully will bring many more hours of experimentation.

And your magic doesn’t work on me Alice. Deus Ex is never uninstalled to start with.

• poliovaccine says:

Or was it??

particlese says:

Had to uninstalled it just so I could reinstall it. Please help. @_@

• ThornEel says:

So, if it feels like a Frozen Synapse version of the UNATCO theme, well, there’s a reason for that…

Thanks for the link, Deus Ex OST remix by nervous_testpilot was exactly what my life was unknowingly missing right now.

2. Spacewalk says:

Shooting things has improved a lot with this mod so if you didn’t like that aspect of the game you should deffo install this. The perks are a nice little addition too. Also mantling is way better than whatever one of the Shifter derived mods added it so if you were down with that you should be even downer with it here.

Drib says:

Deus Ex was good for its time, but has aged terribly. Mostly in the department that always ages the worst, the UI.

So hopefully this mod will fix it up a bit. Revision is pretty solid too. I think I’ll give this a shot sometime.

4. FurryLippedSquid says:

Sold.

Masked Dave says:

I’m really hoping that the DX: HR team go on to just remake the original.

6. Give Me Deus Ex says:

Thanks for the write-up RPS!

7. karthink says:

Played through Deus Ex last year with GMDX 8.0, and this mod is pretty much essential. It increases the number of interactive elements, so you can combine items and abilities in more interesting ways than you could before. You’ll need to be cleverer to handle the not-braindead AI.

And most importantly, it leaves alone the stuff that does not need changing: the level design and music.

If you’re playing Deus Ex for the first time, get this mod.

Revision is more like a total conversion of inconsistent quality. It adds to levels in ways that don’t always make sense, modifies the skills/augs in ways that make the game less interesting, and the new soundtrack is pretty hit or miss.

8. Gomer_Pyle says:

So I picked up Deus Ex in a sale a little while ago, but was wondering how it should be experienced. Should I get an overhaul mod like this, or just get some textures mods and try out the ‘nilla gameplay? Does it still hold up?

• Unclepauly says:

You can play this for an enhanced 1st play or vanilla with graphics upgrades. GMDX doesn’t change it so much to where the core game is different. Purists will say to go vanilla but honestly this version is probably the way to go especially for people who have a hard time with games from that era.

• Give Me Deus Ex says:

GMDX is designed to be played by people who have no experience with Deus Ex. It doesn’t alter the core design, just enhances it.

FesterSilently says:

Enjoyed the article and the subsequent comments, and was about to move on…when it struck me: does this mod unfuck the bloody horrible maze-like French catacombs? :D

10. jeremyalexander says:

Any excuse to replay my favorite game of all time is fine by me.