Oculus Rift + Touch bundle price cut £200 in sale

Get gogged on.

Folks who liked the look of diving into cyberspace but were put off by the price: is £399/$399 low enough for you to bite? Oculus are taking their tops off for the summer – the top £200/$100 of the price of Rift cybergoggles bundled with Touch motion controllers, that is. Sorry. That’s… that’s really bad. I shouldn’t have done that. I do have a desire to write the awful ‘jokes’ in marketing copy but I shouldn’t make you suffer for it. The point is: for the next six weeks, £399 gets you goggs and matching wagglers. Low enough for you, missus?

Oculus have declared this season the ‘Summer of Rift‘, which seems a bit cheeky – not to mention odd. Summer is the last time I want to be indoors tethered to a PC by my face. But hey, if you fancy hovering above a cyberbeach this summer, now’s the time.

Flinging £399/$399 at Oculus will get you goggs, Touch controllers, an Xbox One controller, a couple of games, and enough cables to make a small macrame owl. The bundle is also available at Amazon and a few other retailers.

Me, I’m wait for this generation of VR to properly crash and pop up in CEX at £30. Get these suckers cheap enough for people to make weird games using goggs in foolish ways, like how the Wii Balance Board, PlayStation Move, and Xbox Kinect found new lives in oddities and event games. It’s rebirth I’m cheering for, not death. Though ideally modern VR will live long enough to get its own Star Wars Kinect. Then it can crash and start over as scrapheap treasure.

1. jonfitt says:

A price drop *to* $200 would do it.
    $400 for a wireless gen 2 headset would also be right for me.

• Cyda says:

You’ll pay nearly that for a single Vive controller, so I think you may have to wait a while for that price point.

• SIDD says:

But they PROMISED it wouldn’t be more than £200-300 when they were doing their kickstarter scam…THEY PROMISED! *pouting*

• tomimt says:

And Ouya promised to be a revolution in TV gaming.

• ChrisT1981 says:

That’s my main gripe with the whole first gen of the third gen VR Headsets. They promised to be affordable this time araound only to be the same overpriced niche toys for rich Boys they were the first two times around. Yeah this time they have actually good visual quality going for them. And theres’ so much to solve around them. Like Motion sickness, free movement in the gameworld. Can’t wait to see how they did that stuff in Fallout 4.

Drib says:

Well I was excited about this deal until that last bit of article. This price is much more reasonable than the normal price for such a toy.

Is VR really that unsalvageable?

• Cyda says:

unsalvageable? There are better VR games coming out each month, with Echo Area and Lone Echo due this month, amongst others. We also have a new SteamVR headset on the way from LG, the new knuckles controllers from Valve and now a lower price point from Oculus. As someone who follows VR news a lot I would say it has never been in a better position.

• Thirith says:

I’d agree with Cyda. I absolutely understand that VR has not been much of a financial success on PC (no idea what it looks like on PS4 or mobile phones), and it’s still very much at a point where they’re trying to find out what works well, but I’ve not regretted my purchase for one second, in particular after the Touch controllers came out. It’s not replaced regular gaming for me, but that’s not something I ever expected. Many of my most unique and exciting PC moments over the last year have been in VR, though, from Google Earth VR via Elite Dangerous to Superhot VR, the latter of which I’d put up there with Portal in terms of how much I enjoyed the experience.

• Shazbut says:

How’s the motion sickness? I’ve enjoyed the little time I’ve spent with VR but any time my vision is moving and my body is stationery there is some motion sickness and I can’t help but feel that aspect is doomed to sink the whole VR industry.

• Thirith says:

I’m lucky in that I seem mostly immune to VR queasiness. It seems to be hugely different from person to person – not just the degree but also what causes it. Because of this, they actually kinda need a community of willing victims to find out what works for whom.

That’s where I consider some of the criticism naive or disingenuous: they couldn’t just wait until the hardware is perfect, release the HyperOculus and laugh all the way to the bank, they need a relatively large number of people as a Petri dish, to find out what needs to be tweaked and what needs to be changed outright to make VR work for a mainstream audience. I.e. in order to make VR better, they pretty much had to release versions that aren’t quite there yet beforehand. To some extent, VR in 2016/17 is the Early Access version of VR, with all the good and bad that this entails.

• FriendlyFire says:

I’ve had occasional motion sickness issues in the past (largely on boats, but also sometimes in cars) and if there’s one thing I was pleasantly surprised when I got my Rift, it’s that I have zero motion sickness. The tracking is just that good, it’s absolutely flawless.

I wouldn’t worry about motion sickness unless you’re extremely prone to it.

• Vandelay says:

I’ve only had my Vive for less than a week, so I might not have gotten past the initial wonder of the tech disguising the problems, but I am definitely not feeling any of the negativity mentioned here or in the Have You Played… article with my purchase. VR is amazing right now!

Certainly, the games I have played are not particularly as fully formed as the likes of Prey or The Witcher 3, but I have had more fun with Superhot VR and Holopoint and The Lab than I have had with any other flat screen game in ages.

My only real complaints so far are that the screen door effect is very noticeable (I don’t know if that is an individual thing or if everyone is affected by it as I am,) some of the software is quite buggy (Vive stuff in particular is really cumbersome – still can’t figure out how to easily download something from it while in VR,) and that the weather is too hot at the moment to really wear it for too long. Also, this huge price reduction may have made me reconsider going for a Vive (the Steam Summer Sale deal was really crap by comparison.)

Big games are coming soon and I think those will be a real test. If Fallout 4 and Skyrim can have a good control system then I really think it will be the future. In a decade or so this will probably be the main source of gaming, besides mobile.

On the motion sickness question, can’t say I am a big sufferer. I was a bit as a kid and I still occasionally get queasy when reading something in the back of a car though. I have not once felt sick in VR. That includes playing Subnautica seated.

• Sakkura says:

It’s just the usual press thing. First hype it up unreasonably, then rag on it endlessly as it fails to live up to the unrealistic hype (manufactured by the press itself).

VR is doing alright. It just isn’t going to be adopted by 100 million people tomorrow.

• Fiatil says:

1000 times this. RPS was the king of writing breathless and flowery “I TRIED VR AND IT CHANGED MY LIFE” articles, before deciding it is lame despite having much better software than when they were playing tech demos at conventions.

Harlander says:

I’m pretty sure that both those attitudes have prevailed simultaneously.

• Fiatil says:

If you’re confident in this, perhaps we can help eachother out! It appears that RPS blocks non-supporters from accessing articles over ~1 year old (I was able to get back to VR stories from April of 2016, and no further before being told I need to subscribe).

You appear to be a subscriber! I would love for you to find me a single article prior to the announcement of the Rift’s $599 price that was remotely as negative as the coverage since. This website made me excited for VR, and I lapped up all of their coverage willingly. It pivoted pretty significantly after the price drop, but you are welcome to prove me wrong!

• welverin says:

Weren’t those differing opinions coming consistently from different people as well?

• pizzapotamus says:

It’s a couple of days later which may as well be years in a comment thread, and I have no clue where you’re getting the false only supporters can see old articles nonsense but simply clicking on the oculus rift tag and hitting next page a few times gave me this link to rockpapershotgun.com

Some selected excerpts
          Alice: I think the current VR craze is still a passing fad, because we haven’t seen compelling enough reasons to buy and wear sweaty cybergoggles

Adam: Adam: Sweaty cybergoggles are indeed sweaty. I’ve only used the Rift but, damn, does it get hot in there. And I think this goes to the heart of my doubts about VR. I think there’s plenty of software already, plenty of existing things that can utilise this current model of helmet-controller comfortably, but I’m not sure I’d want to use the hardware all that often.

Graham: I have used the DK1, DK2, the Crystal Cove, the Gear VR, whatever the most recent Rift is, the Vive, and I read Neuromancer for the first time earlier this month. I’m ready to connect the nanotrodes to my limbic and deck into the sprawl – or whatever. But – but – I’ve never heard a criticism of virtual reality that I disagreed with. It is sweaty in there. It is isolating. It is a novelty. So I don’t care that it’s a novelty or that I’ll only use it a couple of times a year and mostly to play a trucking sim; fuck it, I’ll spend a few hundred quid to feel like that sometimes.

Alec: For gaming I put ‘em somewhere near flight sticks in terms of appeal – those who have ‘em swear by ‘em – though I think they will be much more popular than that presuming they’re affordable, as they have more universal, cross-genre application.

So yeah….even the proponents were acknowledging flaws and calling it a “novelty” Plus costs were assumed lower.

• durrbluh says:

Having a few acquaintances in the gaming industry, I’ve been repeatedly assured that yes, it is unsalvageable. Between the price point of hardware, low-innovation game design, and how shovelware is being churned out to flood the marketplace… I can’t say I’m surprised if people are preaching VR’s inevitable downfall. Feels like the console crash of 1983 all over again.

That said, I don’t really care which way it goes. My Steam queue seems to have finally accepted that I want to filter out the VR titles, so I’m content.

• Fiatil says:

Enjoy this survey!

link to motherboard.vice.com

It appears your developer friends may be somewhat in the majority (taking the incredibly generous assumption that “not developing for it now” equates to “I think it will fail”), but 39% of game developers ARE developing for VR. That’s a fantastic number! It’s enthusiast hardware that’s 1 year old with a growing marketplace and fairly rapidly falling hardware prices. It’s incredibly encouraging that such a large subset of developers are willing to develop in that marketplace.

Of course the second link returned in my google search is an RPS article decrying that no one wants to develop in VR, dated two months earlier and with the incredible evidence of “One guy says his game didn’t make money!”

• Herring says:

And notably Valve is developing 3 games for VR. Obviously take that with a pinch of salt as all 3 could go the way of 3 but if they even release one VR equivalent to Portal it’s going to be great.

• MikoSquiz says:

VR is pretty amazing. Unfortunately it’s not for us poors yet, and probably never will be an at-home thing for urban dwellers who aren’t at least “well off”.

While I wait for the local amusement park to bash together a VRcade and/or VR experience rides, I’m more or less content to go round to wealthier mates’ houses and play To The Top and Holodance there.

But if I were a rich man (deedle deedle dee), I’d definitely have a spare walk-in closet in the basement set up with a Vive rig of my own. If I were a moderately well off man, I’d just have a Rift and the controllers for Elite VR and a few racing games.

It’s not that much of an investment any more, particularly considering the egregious sums people routinely splash out on gaming PCs that can run all their games in Ultra, for those three slightly differently colored pixels compared to Medium.

3. Cyda says:

Stop being negative RPS you old grump. That’s a cracking price and I am hoping to tempt a few more of my mates to join me in VR now. My old CS mates would love Pavlov.

• DarkFenix says:

I’d wager the RPS verdict here is more representative of popular concensus than yours. It’s still a hell of a price for a gimmicky toy and it’d need to come down at least another £200-£300 before I’d even consider it.

• DarkFenix says:

*consensus. Stupid lack of editing.

• Cyda says:

That’s the thing with VR, you have to actually try it to realise it isn’t a gimmicky toy. I always hoped VR would be good but it has been better than I expected. I’ve owned my Rift over a year, I still use it most days and I’m very much looking forward to the great selection of games coming out this year. With 1st gen being this enjoyable, I can’t wait for the future models.

• FriendlyFire says:

$400 is actually a fair price for the hardware. I wouldn’t expect to see it go much lower. Just the screen on its own, if it were sold, would be around that much. You don’t see 90Hz OLED screens around much.

• ColonelFlanders says:

A gimmicky toy with high resolution & high refresh OLED screens, motion trackers and other sweet gubbins. You could pay twice this for a decent monitor with LESS pixels on it and no other features, so I really don’t get how you can complain that it’s an expensive toy when it is in fact a piece of ground-breaking hardware.

phuzz says:

I’ve got a DK2, but it’s been sat back in the box for about a year, so I think I’ll wait until a full VR setup (ie headset and controllers and cameras and everything etc.) is about the same price as a half decent graphics card, ie about £200, before I go back in.
    There’s definitely a lot of potential in this generation of VR, but it’s not there yet.

5. davec1 says:

I’ve just ordered it. Had a bunch of credit on Amazon from birthdays and christmas so it’s “only” an extra 150EUR for me (and the opportunity cost of all the others stuff I could have got with that credit). Since I already have an xboxone controller, I’ll sell this one, bringing down the effective cost for me some more.

I don’t have the space/motivation to create it for room scale and PS Move just doesn’t seem up to par, so the occulus seems like a decent choice anyway.

There’s some decent games bundled with it and while I’m not working on a VR game atm, I’m figuring as a dev it can’t hurt to be more familiar with the technology. Plus, I may be able to deduct the expense from taxes…that is if I ever make enough money with my indie game that I even get to pay taxes… *laugh/cry*

Mungrul says:

There’s quite a few games that do not-quite-roomscale, with my favourite VR game so far being one of them, Superhot.

To be honest, I much prefer VR games and “experiences” that require some movement on behalf of the player. When it’s done correctly, it’s utterly convincing, and so much better than seated VR games.

For example, unlike others, I find that VR doesn’t add that much to Elite Dangerous, having played it with TrackIR before, which is a much better experience.

But the thingy that starts at the end of setting up your Rift, with the flying robot in the trailer loaded with tech? An excellent taste of what virtual reality can really mean.

Same with Superhot, ducking behind cover, dodging like you’re Neo, snatching guns out of the air and that drop.

And Rec Room had me so convinced I was in its world, I tried to kick something I’d dropped and ended up kicking my sofa.

If you can make the space, that’s where VR excels.

No-one’s going to convince me that teleport-to-move is anything but a quick kludge mind you.

• Thirith says:

I’m not with Mungrul re: Elite, a game that I found middling outside VR (in spite of headtracking) but that became so much more intense in VR, though that may be a matter of personal taste. Perhaps it’s the combination of Elite and VR, Voice Attack and a HOTAS that I’ve greatly enjoyed; remove any element and it might suffer quite a bit.

However, I’d also agree with him that VR turned from a nifty experience to something altogether more amazing for me when I got up and walked around in virtual space, even if just a few steps in each direction. The sense of being in a place that doesn’t actually exist is pretty much exactly what I’ve been dreaming of ever since the ’80s. Add the virtual hands you get with Oculus Touch and… wow. I agree that a lot of the VR experiences available are short and gimmicky, but for me it’s still an entirely different thing from Wiimotes and Kinect – and Superhot is sublime in VR.

• Chaz says:

Edge of Nowhere is rather good too. Actual gameplay mechanics are nothing special but it’s a damn good VR experience, especially if you’re into the whole Lovecraft thing.

Also Robinson: The Journey is good too; another sit down with a pad game, and of course Subnautica is excellent in VR and has no room scale/motion control requirements.

I’d actually like to see more good seated VR games you can play with a pad, despite how all these pundits keep banging on about motion control and the like being necessary for a good VR experience. Just not true in my opinion.

• davec1 says:

I’m certainly looking forward to trying it out. Having played the Portal Demo and other Vive roomscale games at conventions, I realize how amazing it is, but I just don’t think I have the space for that without having to move heavy stuff around, which is annoying. But I’m curious how much can be achieved with the occulus setup (without a third sensor). Vive demos where also what convinced me of the advantages of VR-specific controls, which is why I only found VR propositions attractive now that there was this bundle. The simple tutorial moment where I tapped a balloon in VR, felt the force feedback in the controller that was just right while watching it respond correctly in virtual space was kinda magic (of course the limits of physicality that can be believable mimicked with force feedback may be very narrow, but still).

Superhot VR is definitely on my Wishlist and I have an eye on Elite Dangerous, too. Also The Climb and Robinson because a friend of mine worked on them. For now, it’s fine for me that there aren’t the kind of long-form game experiences to be had as on PC/consoles, because I’m also interested in things like tilt brush, google vr and similar applications.

6. napoleonic says:

Blimey, they’re desperate to shift their stock before ZeniMax take them to the cleaners, eh?

7. Cyda says:

If you pick this deal up, you’ll be just in time for the Lone Echo release!

• Sakkura says:

And Echo Arena!

I will never not hype up Echo Arena.

• Cyda says:

I’ve still not had chance to play a match yet, I did the tutorial but never got to play. If it is half as good as everyone is saying then it should sell more than a few Rifts.

8. Chromatose says:

Seeing as none of the major players have done anything to address how much of a headache-inducing pukefest VR is for a lot of people, there really isn’t any price low enough to make it a worthwhile purchase for me right now.

• Chaz says:

I’d wager that is isn’t a puke fest for a lot more people than it is. I would go as far as saying that those with bad motion sickness reactions are probably in the minority.

• Fiatil says:

But they have! You will need some space though. Motion sickness in VR is heavily associated with the locomotion method being used. If you have space for roomscale, you will not get sick walking around your room and teleporting. Most of my time in VR the last year has been games like this, and they aren’t going to make you sick. Games on the Vive will typically play like this. I’m very susceptible to motion sickness and it’s a breeze.

Other games, not so much. You can build up a tolerance, but not everyone will. These are going to be games where you use traditional locomotion — you are physically standing still but using a joystick to move around the world. That can make your stomach lurch, and most VR games do not control that way.

• Herring says:

That’s not been my experience at all; I’ve had a few “Vive parties” and most of the people trying it have been non-gamers; none have had any motion sickness.

The caveat to that is that they’ve only tried games with movement systems tailored for VR (teleporting / reduced FOV-shift).

• ColonelFlanders says:

They’ve been trying to cure motion sickness for decades, I don’t think they are suddenly going to find a cure for it now. If your tummy can’t handle it then you’ll have to deal with it until someone invents something Star Trekky, like inertial dampeners or something.

Don Reba says:

It’s a good deal. I even started the checkout, before realizing there is not yet a single VR game I could be excited about.

• Cyda says:

Really, not one? link to vrgamerankings.com You’re a hard man to please.

• Scelous says:

Not a one for me either, and I don’t think I’m hard to please. I’m okay with being an early adopter, and I love most game genres. Yet every time I get excited about VR, I go to the list of available games, take a look at them and just say, “Oh.”

The VR games themselves seem very, very anemic. The vast majority boil down to either: standing in place and shooting at things, or sitting in a cabin (truck, spaceship, rollercoaster) and going for a ride, as it were.

I want VR so bad, and I would sell plasma to get it if there were actual games out. One game idea that sounds cool to me is being in a fully fleshed-out prison and trying to escape, in VR. Or if a game that was like Skyrim was for the VR – basically, a triple-A game. Just something other than these really weak games that rely on VR as a crutch to make them good, as opposed to just being good on their own (and yes, I know Superhot is an exception to that).

I don’t want to sound like I’m ragging on VR, because I want it to succeed. And I still have moments I think about purchasing a Vive or Oculus, despite the gaming experiences amounting to VR Solitaire. They just need to release some real games, dammit! I’m ready for some real games!

• Thirith says:

Some suggestions for you to look into:
          – The Solus Project
          – Obduction
          – Arizona Sunshine
          – Subnautica
          – Windlands
          – Adr1ft
          – House of the Dying Sun
          – Portal Stories VR
          – The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
          – Edge of Nowhere
          – Chronos

Now, some of these can be played without VR, but VR does make a real difference in the sense of immersion for most people.

Mungrul says:

What I’ve realised since getting Rift is that it isn’t necessarily suited to marathon sessions, and I could see a game like Skyrim getting old fast in VR.

I don’t think there’s any fear with the current state of VR tech of users disappearing down the VR rabbit hole and refusing to come out and engage with the real world. It’s just too wearing at the mo.

Don Reba says:

It’s a bit like that ridiculous race the phone OS makers had a while back, of who had more millions of apps on their platform. Having a ton of middling games is not a plus when I already have to budget my time between amazing titles.

I have high hopes for Camouflaj’s unannounced VR projects, but it doesn’t make sense to buy the hardware half a year or more in anticipation of their release. By then, better hardware might become available.

10. Matter says:

This might actually interest me if I could get my hands on a new graphics board capable of supporting it. I’ve started watching bitcoin prices so I know when to bother trying to get one again, it’s pretty frustrating.

• Herring says:

Yes,it’s an odd knock-on effect. Cryptocoins are in favour, so VR is negatively affected.

If HTC were smart they might time a price-cut for when the mining market crashes again :)

11. Zenicetus says:

I don’t want less expensive, I want BETTER hardware than what’s available now, and I’d pay for it.

The main thing I’d use it for is flight sims. Native VR support is coming before the end of the year in X-Plane, but the current hardware just isn’t high-res enough to easily read cockpit gauges and displays. Wireless would be nice, but that’s probably a detriment to getting the resolution higher.

• Vandelay says:

I would agree with this (to some extent. The price of this here I would say is the sweet point they want to be targeting though.) Right now, text being hard to read and detail on most things at a distance is my biggest issue with VR. Even using it as a “big” screen for watching films isn’t going to give great quality.

Unfortunately, I just can’t see it being viable to make them any more demanding. They already have a rather small niche of people who are going to be able to power them. Making it even more demanding doesn’t seem like a smart move. There probably are a lot of tricks they could be doing to make it better though. I understand PSVR actually doesn’t have too much of screen door effect, even though it is a lower res.

• Thirith says:

One thing I’m expecting from the next generation is eye tracking allowing them to do foveated rendering, where what you’re looking at is fairly high res but everything else gets rendered ata considerably lower resolution. This would mean that you wouldn’t have to render at four times the resolution in order to get higher res.

• DoomBroom says:

Better hardware with higher resolutions etc. should not be a problem if newer VR HMDs has foveated rendering and eye tracking. (Edit: Thirith beat me to it)

If LG release a better VR HMD this year than what is currently available and Valve release the knuckle controllers plus lighthouse tracking 2.0 for it I’ll buy it in an instant. The Vive has been great, but I can’t wait for even better hardware hitting the market no matter the price. Also if better tech comes out prices on existing VR will drop substantially.

Oh! And Gorn’s out today, also with a discount! :D

link to store.steampowered.com

• FriendlyFire says:

That’s my stance as well. We need higher resolution, we need better lenses with less halo effect, we need built-in eye tracking. Give me all that in a 2.0 package and I’d buy in a heartbeat. Right now, VR is relegated to specific experiences which are substantially augmented or downright impossible without VR. I want to be able to use a VR headset for desktop work or regular gaming without feeling gimped.

12. thelastdonut says:

Chill with the negativity. Shoot, after what happened to the Vita, I’m not betting on any kind of “rebirth” period. Next thing you know, everyone unanimously decides to scrap it like 3D

$400 bucks does put it in my price range though, considering I may have to buy a video card to support it as well. At least they made this a 6 week sale rather than a 1 day sale, gives me time to put it back into the budget.

13. Kefren says:

What games does it come with? I couldn’t see a clear list of them.

Solrax says:

I’m more worried about fragmentation caused by exclusive titles. Who can afford to have bought the “wrong” headset when the “must have” VR title comes out for the other headset?

Is this still a thing, or are my concerns misplaced?

• Vandelay says:

Not tried it yet, but there is ReVive for the Vive. It lets you play Rift games. Oculus did block the use of this with some DRM, but had to backtrack on this when lots of people flipped out about it. Their statement was along the lines of “We won’t actively block this, but can’t guarantee it will work in the future.” So, basically, we aren’t going to ensure updates support it. Hopefully, that means people will always find ways to keep it working.

I could be wrong, but I don’t believe there are any restrictions the other way around. Hardware limitations meant that the Rift couldn’t play some Vive games initially, but I understand Rift now has support for the room scale stuff (not sure if you need something extra than is included in this deal.)

MajorLag says:

If this price point were on a Vive, I’d probably pick it up even though I’m lukewarm on this generation of tech. Facebook/Oculus can take its exclusivity and shove it. The tech had enough hurdles to overcome without throwing that bull into the mix.

• Herring says:

It’s a real shame; I want to be free to choose an OR for the next gen but I don’t want hardware exclusivity. So it’ll be between Vive 2.0, LG’s new headset, MS’s new headset or whoever else.

15. Stone_Crow says:

Do we get the choice? Because $400 is a feck of a lot cheaper than £400

16. aircool says:

Nope!

17. zulnam says:

400£ for a toy that i will use maybe 10 hours before letting it gather dust?

Yes let me just open my giant Scrooge McDuck safe building. Do you accept bags of unregistered gold coins?

To quote a great artist: “fuck no”.

18. Bishop51 says:

Honestly what is up with Rock Paper Shotguns’ ongoing crusade against VR? You guys have been saying VR is dead since it first began its modern rebirth. And frankly I’ve lost a lot of respect for RPS because of it. Its all so blatantly unsubstantiated and the comments so obviously disingenuous/misinformed.

Why are you so threatened by the next natural step in gaming and entertainment?

MajorLag says:

Nothing at all like the evangelists who come out of the woodwork to preach to the unconverted masses about the glory of our savior VR. The writers who are unimpressed by VR have tried it, reviewed it, and found that they don’t think it’s really that great. They wrote about it quite a lot actually, with reasoning and everything.

But hey, they’re disingenuous and misinformed, so says the travelling preacher.

• Ich Will says:

The thing is, every major, and most minor sites have also tried it, and tend to be fairly evenly split, with some writers who are cool on it, and some who are keen. This seems to match owners of VR tech, who, by any metric are between 33% and 66% positive. RPS stands out as being consistantly negative.

Why is this? Could it be editorial policy, or a pressuring culture in which case, this should be called out as bullshit. Is it just chance, in which case, fair enough.

It is funny though, you accuse him of being the evangelist, and to be fair, I can see why, yet you seem blind to your own evangelism:

“Nothing at all like the evangelists who come out of the woodwork to preach to the unconverted masses about the glory of our savior RPS. The commenters who are unimpressed by RPS have tried it, read it, and found that they don’t think it’s really that great. They wrote about it quite a lot actually, with reasoning and everything.

But hey, they’re disingenuous and misinformed, so says the travelling preacher.”

Not a perfect match I know, but the basics are there, you lay into his post without actually providing your much vaunted reasoning.

Maybe VR isn’t the mainstream future, it’s almost certainly not, maybe it isn’t even the future for the more dedicated hobbyist gamers. But neither is TrackIR, HOTAS, even gamepads are seen as a bellyache to many PC gamers. Why can’t VR be celebrated as a niche product, that makes a very small number of people very happy, the type of people who, like TrackIR customers can support an entire game base segment of the industry that utilise the tech they enjoy.

It doesn’t have to be the future, it just has to be tolerated, that’s all VR users seem to be asking.

MajorLag says:

What point do you think I’m trying to make? I don’t have really strong feelings about VR one way or the other, but I am annoyed by people who come in here and try to paint the writers as incompetent or disingenuous (ok, some of them might be doing it for a laugh nowadays) based on nothing but their own disagreement and optimism.

I am actually a big fan of RPS and I do recommend it, but you won’t find me on, wherever it is that other people get their other gaming news, preaching about it.

If you like VR and think it has a future, the right thing to do is post why you think that instead of making completely unfounded accusations.

• Ich Will says:

I didn’t think you were trying to make a point, I thought you were, to use your own words evangelising for RPS, by accusing a critic of evangalising.

And isn’t the founding of his criticism the fact that the RPS writers buck the norm when it comes to their individual views on VR?

If you wanted to defend RPS, then why not do it by refuting the accusation with, you know, salient points, facts which prove the accusation wrong that kind of thing, not just namecalling and mud flinging, likening him to a religious nutter, was the “travelling preacher” part supposed to infer that if he’s not a regular here, his opinion is less valid?

I’m absolutely certain you have more class than that.

MajorLag says:

Post calls their opinion “blatantly unsubstantiated” and “misinformed”. I point out that they’ve substantiated their opinion in writing several times and, you know, actually have used the hardware in their capacity as reviewers on multiple games.

Those are relevant facts refuting the idea that the writers are misinformed or that their opinions are unsubstantiated.

Bucking the norm is not evidence otherwise.

“I’m absolutely certain you have more class than that.”

Guess you get to be wrong more than once this post.

• bill says:

Refute mode on:

1 – RPS has an editorial policy??? Ha ha..
          2 – Despite the wails of loads of users every time RPS posts an article on VR they don’t seem to be particularly negative about it. They aren’t recommending everyone rush out and buy the first generation, but they are hardly on a crusade against it or anything.
          3 – 90% of the perceived negativity seems to be either jokes or sarcasm anyway. Maybe the VR fans aren’t British.

• Bishop51 says:

First of all, I’ve been visiting RPS for years, so its not like Im “coming out of the woodwork”. And that’s exactly why its so disheartening to see RPS treat VR with such flippant disrespect, EVERY SINGLE TIME VR is mentioned. Its extraordinarily hard not to find the comments misinformed or disingenuous when there are such profound experiences available and a profound promise with the tech in general.

RPS needs to start diligently/regularly reviewing VR titles from SteamVR and Oculus home, which they’ve been absolutely terrible about. Sure the odd thing here or there but its been a shoddy effort. There are hundreds of titles and literally dozens of groundbreaking experiences that deserve some respect. Sure they’ll review countless 2-D Indie side-scrollers made in a month by some teenager but anything VR “Ewww, hold your nose because VR is already dead people!”.

Listen, opinions are fine and all but until you back them up with experience they mean very little. Yes RPS has pinched its collective nose from time-to-time, dabbled with this forbidden technology, but it seems an awful lot like they feel threatened by what it might mean to the gaming landscape in general.

• Herring says:

I think a lot of it come’s from John’s exaggerated stance. As a commenter below mentions, it’s a good way to get fans out of the wood-work and come and comment / view.

VR is great; I love my Vive and play it regularly. But I barely touched it last week due to Endless Space 2 eating my brain alive.

I don’t think VR will replace monitor-gaming any time soon but why reject totally new gameplay experiences out of hand (assuming the eye-watering cost is acceptable).

19. Salvation says:

549.00 Canadian was the magic number for me. It was twice that less than a year ago and 1200 still for the vive. Picked one up! Super happy, can’t wait!