Wild West Online roots and toots in first gameplay vid

Sandbox rooter-tooter Wild West Online [official site] is showing off a first look at its wicky wicky wah wah sandbox in motion with a new video. It’s a little bit Grand Theft Auto Online but with cowboys and perhaps less relentless murder (and hopefully less hacking). It’ll plonk players into the wild frontier to lark about, being goodies or baddies in all the ways a child armed with fingerguns in the school playground would hope.

That’s still pre-alpha, and obviously not a server running under live conditions with all its players. But it does give a broad idea of what to expect: strolling around town, doing crimes, hunting bounties, riding horses, and being a cowboy, baby, with the top let down and the sunshine shinin’.

The big vision is for a sandbox world with everything from mining to hunting down bandits. It’ll boast a mix of player-directed action in that ‘form a gang and cause trouble/dispense justice’ way and programmed opportunities such as regular trains to rob like raids. Developers 612 Games have set themselves a big task but I do like their ideas.

Wild West Online came to prominence earlier this year when a load of sillies mistook a WWO screenshot for a leaked look at Red Dead Redemption 2. Oh, Internet! However, this case of mistaken identity was quite helpful, as the increased interest helped 612 Games secure enough investment to skip both crowdfunding and early access, which they had previously planned to hit.

612 Games are planning to launch Wild West Online in December 2017. If you want to play before then, they are selling alpha and beta access. Which does sound a little like early access to me.

1. jellydonut says:

Some people choose to see the ugliness in this world..

CrackedMandible says:

I had no interest in this initially (I think because I never played Red Dead Redemption) but, after watching HBO’s Westworld and seeing how catering to the hero/villain fantasies in an old west setting could look, I just got a little excited.

• Gomer_Pyle says:

Speaking of Westworld, if you haven’t already you should check out the 1973 original. Yul Brynner makes a pretty good robot.

3. GrumpyCatFace says:

Just a total coincidence that that’s an exact replica of Westworld, I’m sure.

• jellydonut says:

I didn’t bother watching the trailer before now, but they even named the character William and the server’s name is Dolores lmao

4. Freud says:

Can’t unsee hands bobbing up and down while running in first person mode.

• Cvnk says:

That was so out of place. Everything else looked nice and polished and slick but then we get those dopey fists pumping up and down like some ridiculous speed walker.

5. Scraphound says:

Looks very cool.

Shame it will be like every other MMO. Roving bands of psychopaths murdering everyone. A handful of viable “builds”. Scatterguns suck! Only the .44 Walker is worth using with the Yellowboy. (or whatever)

The mindless soul-sapping grind to get a horse with a slightly rarer coat and a bit of a speed buff, or however it plays out.

Oh, and an absolutely vile, vitriolic community. Yay!

6. snapscore says:

The only reason I spent ages stuck on games was that I spent my day at school and there was no internet.

7. ColonelFailure says:

Objection!

The Entertainer, as heard in the featured saloon, was first performed by Scott Joplin in 1902. Ragtime, the style of music popularised by Mr Joplin was popular in major cities, not in the “wild west” which, coincidentally ended in the 1890s.

Now where’s my pedant badge?

(Game looks fine by the way, although my personal Wild West MMO would allow me to be a shopkeep… just sayin)

• Gomer_Pyle says:

Music nerd high five!

• Ragabhava says:

Indeed, I had an instant shattering of my suspense of disbelief whilst hearing the music! Somehow glad that I’m not the only one. Westworlds score (the series) is top notch in that regard, why can’t they go that route ? Prolly budget related (this version of the entertainer sounds like a cheap MIDI rendering).

8. Sir_Eric says:

Just a reminder: 612 Games are associated with Sergey Titov, the “dev” behind broken, unfinished and heavily monetized “games” like The War Z. While they deny he’s actually involved in this, they do use his engine and he has a history of being involved in shitty games while trying to at least mask his involvement in them.

So, in short…don’t buy into this until it is released and reviewed.

9. Shooty Deluxe says:

That town has nearly exactly the same layout as the first town in Red Dead Redemption. Can’t wait for RDR2!

• second_hand_virgin says:

From the look of the trailer it has _everything_ like begining of RDR, but a bit uglier. I was waiting for balcony jump on horse.

10. Horg says:

Authentic frontier gibberish or no sale.

11. April March says:

So, is this an MMO with actual combat instead of hotkey mashing? Specially brutal combat, even, seeing as the guy in the tent went down in one shot?

Looks interesting, even as there’s no reason for they bounty… hunted to be hanging around his campsite for no reason. Not to mention the ‘last seen’ information is pointless if bounties can fast-travel around at will.

• Amstrad says:

I’m still trying to figure out how he managed to shoot the guy in the tent by shooting his shadow… to cast such a big one he’d have to be relatively close to the light source and far from the tent wall. The presenter shoots directly at the cast shadow which is for sure not where the actual person would be.

12. racccoon says:

This game is made by the guy who did WarZ and all the other crappy games he’s made & left for dead! also the game engine is the same! and the models are the same, it seem everything has been revamped into a cowboy theme to make in line with red dead redemption 2 imminence. Its just suddenly appeared and had backing by the guy who ran all the other crappy games on this game engine! its what this guy does rips off the gaming players and leaves them for dead!
    I would be very wary of putting any money into this game.
    I hope i’m wrong! :)
    in the meantime just please wait before buying into it!!

13. voidmind says:

There is a good chance this game is a scam, as stated on this Reddit post.

link to reddit.com