Star Wars Battlefront 2 free open beta starts October 6th

October the 6th be with you. (And also with you.) Lift up your Electronic Arts, as they’ve announced that the free multiplayer open beta test for Star Wars Battlefront 2 [official site] will start on October 6th, letting all and spacesundry fight around several corners of the Federation until October 9th.

EA’s announcement yesterday explained:

“You’ll be able to experience some of the best of Star Wars Battlefront II across iconic planets and into the far reaches of space. Get set to dive into Naboo: Theed in Galactic Assault. Join Republic clone troopers and Separatist battle droids in a wild melee on the streets surrounding the royal palace, where you’ll take control of some of your favorite heroes.

“But that’s only part of the story. Also included is a multiplayer Starfighter Assault battle (with more details to be revealed at Gamescom), giving you the ability to pilot a variety of the most memorable starfighters from Star Wars™. Keep your eyes open for even more surprises as the beta approaches.”

People who pre-order will get beta access from October 4th but I trust you know better than that.

Battlefront 2 is due to launch on November 17th. While this beta is only multiplayer, the full game will have a singleplayer campaign too – unlike the previous game. In another pleasant change, EA plan to release new maps, heroes, weapons, vehicles, and such for free after launch. The previous game’s expansions were of mixed quality and split the playerbase, so that’s sensible.

1. MrPete says:

Are we talking about a cameo of Kirk and Spock for the Trade Federation here or did someone mix up their Star Universes?

Anyways, thanks for the heads up, I’ll go charge my photon machete and laser rifles to prepare.

2. Greg Wild says:

Gods dammit RPS, I can’t believe you keep mixing up Stargate and Sliders.

Styxie says:

You sunk my battleship.

4. Freud says:

Space, the final battlefrontier.

5. dylan says:

Why are Captain Kirk and Mrs Pock dressed like the damn gestapo?

6. Minglefingler says:

I’m outraged that Zaphod Beeblebrox only has one head in this picture. And where the fuck are Arthur Dent’s dressing gown and towel?

7. PiiSmith says:

People who preorder, will get in to the Beta earlier.

People who already paid for the product, will get the promotion material earlier than those who have not.

particlese says:

“(And also with you.)”
    OMG*, I thought I was the only one who gets churchy in my head when someone Star Treks at me!

…unless that’s some other reference, in which case I will continue to enjoy the obligatory response all by myself.

*”oh my gosh”, of course. (Compulsory clarification since God reads RPS comments.)

9. Railway Rifle says:

This might all be fish wrapping by now, but I still want to commend that intro. It is right to give thanks and praise.

Comment on this story