Watch a whole load of XCOM 2: War of the Chosen

You and I can’t play the big new XCOM 2 [official site] expansion War of the Chosen until August but we can now watch a gert chunk of it. We’ve got aaages to wait before we can recruit new factions and classes to our cause while taking down new enemies in new areas. But after several weeks of coughing up small trailers focusing on individual classes and enemies in the expansion, 2K have opened the marketing floodgates and let sites such as our business chums Eurogamer post huge preview videos. Here, watch 80 minutes:

That’s Eurogamer’s Chris Bratt playing along with designer Jake Solomon.

Or, if you’re in a hurry, 2K have their own four-minute “gameplay walkthrough” (stretching the term a little) giving a brief look at similar shenanigans:

Oh, but who are these mysterious foes? A handful of unique new enemies are added in the expansion, most notably the alien Chosen who are a bit like Nemeses in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. They’re powerful minibosses who can return in later battles with new abilities if you don’t truly destroy them. Meet the Assassin:

And the Warlock:

And a third who doesn’t have their own trailer yet. Sorry, Hunter.

Joining are side will be three human(ish) factions who, if we can befriend them, will offer the sneaky Reapers:

The burly Skirmishers, who are defectors from Advent:

And the psionic Templars, whose video is also still to come.

This is a large number of videos. If you’d rather have some good old-fashioned written words, check out Adam’s preview from June, chatting with Solomon about features like the expanded Geosphere-level strategy and new Darkest Dungeon-ish character traits.

War of the Chosen is due to launch on August 29th.

1. conronc says:

I mean this stuff all looks really amazing and all…

But I’m still mostly excited for any new cosmetics.

2. Wormerine says:

I just hope that the performance patch will be significant as it still runs below 60FPS for me, no matter what resolution and settings I choose in spite of being around recommended specs.

• Foxtrot1_1 says:

I still have a ton of performance problems and I’m playing on a 1080 Ti and an i7-5930k. Xcom 2 is terribly optimized, the CapsLock load trick shouldn’t still be a thing. Hopefully that’s all addressed here.

3. IgrokU says:

I didn’t know Tali was a reaper, I knew she was a spy.

4. Kakrafoon says:

As much as I am delighted to see so much of the new stuff War of the Chosen will offer, I kind of kicked myself after watching this for spoiling the surprise. They basically played a full story mission. Well, can’t blame them – it’s just my bad impulse control.
    Gameplay-wise, everything looks really really great with WotC.
    I just don’t like the “space wizard” vibe that XCOM is getting with the Warlock boss and the Templars. Give me an old-fashioned high-tech military setting with a bit of mystery/psi powers thrown in, but keep it (at least visually) in the range of Aliens or maybe Jurassic World instead of some fancy-schmancy Blizzard game.

• Jim Reaper says:

Phoenix Point says hello…

link to phoenixpoint.info

• Raoul Duke says:

Glad I’m not the only one. They’re blatantly trying to turn this into another Warcraft/Starcraft type setting, with space mages and space rogues and crap like that, which is isn’t. Or wasn’t. It’s supposed to be more classic 1950s sci-fi/X-Files/Invasion of the Body Snatchers/War of the Worlds. Boo. Come up with your own intellectual property, don’t defile someone else’s ideas, dammit.

5. lagiacrux says:

i just hope this is going to be compatible with long war 2.

6. Maxheadroom says:

I do wish they’d made this a separate campaign.

Having only just picked up the base game in the summer sale im now in the awkward position of both feeling like im not playing the complete experience, but not wanting to start over so soon either

So not only is it putting me off picking it up, its actually dampening my enthusiasm to even complete the vanilla campaign playthroough im currently on :/

• alh_p says:

I wouldn’t let the upcoming expansion prevent you doing your first playthrough, unless you really only want to do one. There’s a lot to learn in the vanilla XCOM2 (without even the existing two content DLCs) and this expansion will only make things more complicated.

XCOM2’s expansions can be toggled on or off, so even if you buy the expansion on day zero, you could continue your current campaign. You’d also save yourself the agro of a possible buggy release…

• Rwlyra says:

I would play it now :) Xcom2012 had similar sized expansion (Enemy Within) and I did my first playthrough vanilla and only played EW after winning once without it. It’s definitely replayable enough for 2 playthroughs!

• Foxtrot1_1 says:

This looks like it will make a ton of significant changes to the game, so finishing a vanilla playthrough before release makes sense. I’m thinking of replaying before release anyway. Xcom 2 is great

Comment on this story