Podcast: The Electronic Wireless Show talk replayability, Slime Rancher and Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds

The hosts of the RPS podcast, the Electronic Wireless Show, know neither respite nor shame. This week we have a chat about “replayability” – what games are the most replayable? Why do we always go back to our “comfort games”? Exactly how many hours has Adam spent in Crusader Kings II? Hint: QUITE LOTS. Meanwhile, Pip attempts to cultivate the excrement of wet monsters in Slime Rancher, Adam tells us about his cowardice in Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds, and I am slumming it with another collectible card game, this time The Elder Scrolls: Legends. We’ve also got some reader questions and comments, all based on replaying old favourites. It’s a theme!

You can listen on Soundcloud or download it for later (no embedded player this week, our website has a cold). You can also get the RSS feed here or find it on iTunes, Stitcher or Pocket Casts. Woop-woop music is by Jack de Quidt.

Links and info:

Elder Scrolls Daggerfall retrospective

Firewatch adds ‘free roam’ mode

The butterflies of Firewatch

How a cargo plane sets Battlegrounds up for greatness

Slime Rancher leaving early access in August

The Elder Scrolls: Legends gets Skyrim expansion

Drib says:

The slimes aren’t bleeding, they’re doing an anime-looking drooling face. It’s just them being hungry, so they have a little droop of drool. Granted it’s mouth-colored, but still.

Slime Rancher is super cute.

2. Zorgulon says:

Keep the regular podcasting up, please, these are great!

3. Justin says:

Very much a fan of these podcasts. Looking forward to them each week. I also approve of the new format experiment for this episode. I still think it’s interesting to hear your take on the news of the week (if there is any), but I like the added structure of having a “topic” to discuss each episode. Best of luck with future installments.

4. M0dusPwnens says:

Really enjoying these podcasts, and I also really enjoyed the theme episode format (insofar as it provided an interesting core to digress from).

A related topic I’d be interested in seeing is proliferation of “endless” games. I thought they might be touched on here, but I mean the sort of games that aren’t really “replayable” so much as they are endlessly playable with no real conclusion. I feel like you used to have MMOs and a few roguelikes, but now virtually every AAA game coming out seems to be hoping I’ll commit to it for a year or more. I suppose multiplayer games have always had elements of that, so a lot of it is probably just more multiplayer games, but so many single-player games now seems to be endless, with gameplay that just loops over and over with virtually endless progression systems.

I find that I have real trouble keeping up with many games now, and I’ve avoided games that I think I’d like the core systems of, because I just don’t have the time or energy to commit, and I’m curious how you (and others) manage these sort of games. Do you avoid them? Do you find that you can just put them down after a little while? Do you push through a roguelike until you “beat it” and then put it down without seeing what else the game has in store? Do you sometimes feel like maybe you’re missing some compelling, new gameplay that might come in later? Do you dabble in many of them, or play one or two of them to make time for more traditional, fixed-length games?

There’s probably a related (sub?)topic in the F2P schemes most of these games seem to use, and how that sort of endless gameplay loop feeds into those models.

5. SanguineAngel says:

Holy Moly, the RPS podcast is looking dangerously like a regular feature! Can’t wait to have a list this evening! Keep it up guys.

sethlock says:

Really enjoying these podcasts. Is it particularly onerous to get them syndicated on Google Play Music’s service? Just downloading episodes right now, but would be great to grab them through my normal music app.

kfix says:

If Graham is still talking to Adam after Adam’s sick burn on poor Graham about his Plunkbat skills, I hope you two record one of those sessions sometime. It might help Graham to get over his feelings about talking to the screen to be talking to Adam instead. Even if it’s just to say “come hide in here with me” or something.

Comment on this story