The End Is Nigh is upon us

The End Is Nigh [official site], the murderous new platformer from the co-creator of Super Meat Boy and the creator of Closure, is now out. It’s a bit Super Meaty, a bit Gishy, and definitely a bit of a git. As you might expect, it’s a game with a whole lot of being killed by spikes, traps, fluids, autoguns, monsters, and all that platforming rabble. If the summer heat is getting to you, perhaps consider playing this as tearing your hair out will surely help cool your dome.

The End Is Nigh is a super-tough platformer set in the distant near-dead future, where a lad named Ash is to make a friend. Well, build a friend. It roams across interconnected discrete screens, keeping your position between screens for tricky cross-screen platforming at times. And… you’ll die a lot? That’s the general idea. Try to platform; die; try to platform better; die again; try try try again until that blobboy succeeds.

It does seem to have a bit more trial and error than, say, Super Meat Boy, which had all elements clearly visible so you could read a whole level before moving. But it’s not Super Meat Boy, yeah?

The End Is Nigh is £10.99/14,99€/$14.99 on Steam. It’s a collaboration between Edmund McMillen (Super Meat Boy, Gish, Time Fcuk, The Binding of Isaac, etc.) and Tyler Glaiel (Closure, Bombernauts), with that Rich Evans out Red Letter Media voicing Ash.

This is a different game to Øuroboros, another platformer the pair had been working on. McMillen has said that they’ll likely release that eventually, but don’t hold your breath waiting for it. I mean, you’re free to hold your breath as unconscious reflexes will kick in and resume your breathing even if you pass out, but the wait might be long (possibly endless, going by other games McMillen put on hold) and you could give yourself a lot of nasty bumps as you fall unconscious over and over.

1. Turkey says:

What happened to the weird cat-breeding simulator Edmund was working on? Did it end up on hold too?

sylmarien says:

Yep, on hold. McMillen said he will release only one more game this year (I don’t remember which though, but not Mewgenics), so it may be a long wait for this one.

• matoos says:

That last game this year should possibly be Legend of Bumbo, the papercraft Isaac ofshoot. I seem to remember Edmund mentioning it coming out before EOY somewhere on his numerous blogs, but for the life of me I can’t find it now.

2. mechavolt says:

Just like to point out that a google search for “end is nigh review” mostly returns info on a poorly rated game, “The Watchmen: The End is Nigh”. Probably should have done a quick search before naming the game, Ed.

• Doctor K says:

He’s got a lot of love from certain youtube streamers – NL specifically got his start and earns his bread off Edmund’s games – so I believe he’ll be fine.

3. Tinotoin says:

I very much like the recommended GPU of “nVidia 9999999999999GTX TI SLIx200”

Might have to pop off and get a few thousand of those…

4. davethejuggler says:

The music in that trailer made me really want to rewatch all of Jonathon Creek!

Tendehka says:

I’m trying to hold off on buying this until there are reviews, but my kneejerk love of anything Rich Evans is in is strong.

6. fish99 says:

Day one purchase for me since I love SMB.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Oh god, I can’t stand Rich Evans anymore. He was funny at first but his whole living trainwreck shtick has gotten old. Plus his taste in games is shite.

8. Gomer_Pyle says:

Really loving the music, there’s just something about Classical and Rock that work so well together.
    (Plus Danse Macabre is one of my favourite classical pieces.)

Comment on this story