Nidhogg 2 starts duelling on August 15th

Nidhogg 2 [official site], the duelling sequel to one of the very finest local multiplayer games, is almost upon us. Developers Messhof today announced a release date of August 15th. Let us rend our foes, win glory, and charge gleefully into the waiting maw of the all-devouring serpent Níðhöggr. It’s certainly a more exciting victory celebration than dabbing, though the Football Association probably frown on pitch invasions by mythical beasts.

Nidhogg is a two-player duelling game. Players start in the middle of the level then attempt to reach the far end of their opponents side. This will involve an amount of violence. Nidhogg has such wonderful violence. Players can carefully deflect their opponents’ blows, leap around, fling their weapons, and slide, leading to fights which are often both high skilled and deeply foolish. I had a problem in the first game of trying to showboat with moves like tossing my sword, only to have my opponent dodge it and leave me frantically trying to grab a weapon while dodging slashes.

While the first Nidhogg only had rapiers (and fists, for disarmed fools like me), the sequel introduces new weapons including daggers and arrows. It also adds a character creator, with loads of bits to build warriors from:

Oh, and I suppose it has a new art style. I wasn’t sure about the new look in screenshots but it does look nice in motion:

Messhof co-founder Mark Essen gabs a bit about the new look in a PlayStation Blog post coming alongside today’s announcement.

The game will boast local multiplayer, an AI to scrap with on your tod, online matchmaking and private games, and 8-player tournaments.

Nidhogg 2 is coming to Windows and Mac via Steam on August 15th.

Grizzly says:

Great gif that. It did sell the artstyle to me too.

2. Rao Dao Zao says:

Played it live at an event in Edinburgh a few months back, was an absolute blast. I’m usually utterly rubbish at local multiplayer, but you can’t put a price on being equally matched with somebody and having a titanic back-and-forth for ten minutes with a cheering audience behind you…

3. titanomaquis says:

The art style looks like some kind of grotesque version of The Simpsons. But I like it, and I love the first Nidhogg.

4. babymoses says:

Oh god. Compared to the original, the Artstyle sucks big time. The first one seemed set in a world of existential doom. This one’s like one of those 90s cartoons. Just why tf?

I don’t doubt they’ll get the mechanics on point, but the artstyle is just such a glaring negative.

• IonTichy says:

Absolutely agree.

This is a great example where adding too much actually hurts the visual quality of a game and makes it look cheaper.
      IMHO they should have sticked to the minimalistic style of the first part and just polish it up properly.
      It could have still looked higher res while leaving the atmosphere and vibe of the game intact.
      “set in a world of existential doom” describes it best indeed.

• anon459 says:

And as for the characters; in the first game, I imagined them as skillful, trained combatants. In this game, they look like bumbling idiots. I’ll probably buy the game for the great gameplay, but I wish I didn’t have to play as a bumbling idiot.

• Rizlar says:

Yeah, it spoils the comedy of awesome, acrobatic skill resulting in absurd death.

Could go on about how the more naturalistic figures plus absurd animation creates comedy in all sorts of ways that are missing from straight up cartoon buffoonery but will cut this short…

• Rizlar says:

New art style, don’t like. Respect to them for trying something different but in my eyes it’s nowhere near as successful as the low-fi original.

• Rizlar says:

I guess one of the nice things about it, and punk aesthetics generally, is the idea that it goes beyond what games have been before. By reducing things to a few simple rules and some warping pixels in a reductive shape of a man, it says something. Cartoon graphics seem regressive. Like Worms 2/Armageddon in some ways regressed from Worms. Shrug emoji (not the picture, the characters).

• legopirate27 says:

Yep, totally agree. Loved the original and I was so excited to hear there was a sequel on the way… But that art style, eurgh! Interest abandoned.

• PseudoKnight says:

Everything looks fine to me except the character animation. It took me a moment to realize what it was as I was busy processing the blobby character art with giant blinky eyes. The first one was fast and precise. These are slow and floppy. It’s like if they took Street Fighter and turned it into Gang Beasts. It might be fun to play, but it’s going to turn off your fans.

• cpt_freakout says:

I’m conflicted because it’s probably going to be great fun, but it looks horrible to me too. The 90’s cartoons reference is apt, but it was the ugliness what made those cartoons so cool. We’re no longer in a context where that works, so this is just ugly, IMO. Oh well…

5. Sound says:

This art style is not for me. =(

Phasma Felis says:

I preferred the original’s artwork. But I think I could get used to this. It’s fun in a very different way, and I’m willing to give Messhof the benefit of the doubt.

7. Hannibal942 says:

God the new art looks terrible. I can’t believe someone took those simple figures and turned them into bastardized Simpsons characters.

8. goodgeorge says:

I quite like the new art style. This isn’t a very serious game and for that the new style seems like a perfect fit. Someone commented that it is a problem that the characters look like bumbling idiots, but to me that is exactly what they should look like. Pat & Mat – The Game, sounds great!