Meet Total War: Warhammer 2’s Dark Elves

darkelves1

Imagine being a PR today. “HELLO PLEASE STOP LOOKING AT BEYONCE RESPLENDENT IN MANY FABRICS AND COVERED IN BABIES AND PLEASE LISTEN TO THINGS ABOUT THE DARK ELVES BEING IN TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER II.”

I thought I could pay attention to both but then I realised I was about to report that Sir Carter and Rumi were secret extra new factions in the game. Their special powers would be “being swaddled” and “enjoying what might be decorated hedge mazes”. I would play far more Warhammer if there were hedge mazes and tulle netting and Beyonce. I suppose I will now tell you about the Warhammer stuff even though ALL ELVES ARE THE WORST otherwise Alice will be all “Why is there no mention of a videogame in your videogame news post?” Let us look at a video of the newcomers to Total War: Warhammer II [official site]

Right, so.

“Even the noblest warrior casts a dark shadow, and so it is with the race of Elves. The High Elves may be paragons of virtue, but their closest kin represent all that is foul and depraved in the Elven soul.

“Led from the obsidian wastes of Naggaroth by the Witch King Malekith and his sadistic mother Morathi, the Dark Elves are hell-bent on the humiliation and destruction of their orderly brothers, and ultimate control of the Great Vortex in Ulthuan.

darkelves2

OH MY GOSH imagine if Morathi and Malekith had done a fabric-stravaganza and hedge maze realness photoshoot.

“The third of Total War: Warhammer II’s four playable races to be revealed so far, the Dark Elves offer a ferocious new gameplay style. Swift to strike – and brutal to a fault – they’re capable of tearing down an enemy’s defences in a trice, provided they sustain their Murderous Prowess. However, a Dark Elf leader must preserve his alpha status in the eyes of his lesser generals and keep an iron grip on their loyalty, lest their self-serving, glory-seeking nature leads to treachery!”

The mysterious fourth faction is still a tightly guarded secret, with no-one from the studio prepared to turn rat and squeak leak the details.

Elfonce

Totally Warhammers The Sequel is out 28 September.

1. Eraysor says:

dork elves amirite

2. NetharSpinos says:

They might well be pricks, but they’re my kind of pricks but I am a sucker for the darker powers. They’ll definitely be the first faction to use, but I have absolutely no idea who to go for after that.

• DarkFenix says:

Is there even a need to ask that? Skaven!

• Malagate says:

Skaven?! But the 4th playable race has not been confirmed yet, it could be anything surely, we’ve had no tails to follow or anything juicy to gnaw on-

yeah it’s gonna be Skaven, and there will be much rejoicing. Yaaaay.

3. Spacewalk says:

That top image really looks like a gig for a symphonic black metal band.

4. Gothnak says:

It’s just such a time investment, i’ve not finished a game of TW-War 1 yet.

I started as the Counts, did really well, and then Chaos ONLY attacked me, i survived, and then all other factions ONLY attacked me, so i grumpily quit.

Started game 2 as the Dwarves, and have gone a crazy murder spree to the south slaughtering all Orcs, but it got a bit easy and i stopped.

I look at this and think ‘i just want to play any of the factions to kill blooming High Elves’. Although i think i really need to get full use out of TW-War 1 first. By then, it should have reduced in price :).

• SanguineAngel says:

I think there have been some significant improvements or changes to the Campaign in WH1. I experienced a similar… focus of the AI pre-occupation originally. Now I’m playing and it very much feels like the AI factions are really pursuing their own agendas and I am only feeling the Aggro when there is cause (I’m too powerful, I’m at their door, I’m pissing them off diplomatically etc etc). In fact it all feels a lot more dynamic and I feel less like everything revolves around me because I am the player.

• Gothnak says:

I might go back and have another go, because that just what i want. Tbh, the Dwarven campaign was ok, just a bit easy, the Orcs kept dying.

• ThePuzzler says:

Chaos tends to pick on whoever is in the north-east, and along the north coast, because those are the most convenient targets. It’s sometimes a good idea to avoid expanding in that direction.

• thetruegentleman says:

And shame ourselves in the eyes of Sigmar/The Lady/the ancestors/Gork and Mork/the peasantry and lesser nobles? I’d sooner see the continent burn.

• Gothnak says:

Well, they smashed through Kislev i think, and then just headed direct south with every army. I could even see Human armies just ignoring them.

I fought them off, and then Orc, Human and Dwarf all declared war on me as i was expanding north into the hole left by Chaos. I think i only had around 3 of the multi-part regions, nothing too big, felt rather cheap AI wise.

• Fiatil says:

I can confirm that my experience with Chaos and the Vampire counts at launch was the exact opposite. They were my first playthrough, and I intentionally left Kislev alone because it seemed like a good idea to have a buffer between myself and the Chaos Wastes. The result was that Chaos completely ignored me and went to town on Kislev, the Empire, and everyone else north and west of me until I had a huge army and declared war on them for the hell of it.

As tempting as it may be, you can’t extrapolate that the AI is programmed to gang up on you from one experience. There are dice being rolled, and the roll came up against you. However, your after-chaos experience was basically programmed into the game — they eventually patched it out, but the “good” factions would keep their “united against chaos” modifier even after Chaos was gone, making them all love eachother. You were the only bad guy left, it kind of makes sense that you’re the enemy now! It’s not as bad after that was patched out, but at the end of the day you’re the most evil faction on the block once Chaos is done.

5. SaintAn says:

Malekith is totally slaughtering the trapped High Elves like Darth Vader in Rogue One.

6. Ghostwise says:

Okay laddies, now let’s get in formation
    Go and slay
    Slay orcs or you get eliminated

7. andycheese says:

That was the most random, yet brilliant, opening to an article on Warhammer I’ve ever read…Ms Warr, you put a smile on my face… and that’s not easy when I’m coming off a ten hour shift.

8. Hyena Grin says:

Articles like this are what makes RPS special, and wonderful.

Thank you Pip. You are making the world a better place.

Comment on this story