Have You Played… Attack On Titan: Wings Of Freedom?

Attack On Titan: Wings of Freedom [official site] is a solid 7/10 kind of game, but its concepts and combat are unusual enough that I find myself thinking about it a lot more than other, better games. In short: Attack on Titan is Spider-Man vs. Godzilla in an open world with destructible buildings.

The game is based on the Attack On Titan anime. Set in a fantasy world where humanity has been nearly wiped out by the presence of enormous, naked, occasionally skinless giants called Titans, you’re part of a military squad in the last human city. To fight back against the Titans, you’re given twin grappling hooks, a jetpack of sorts, and a pair of swords with which to cut off their limbs and stab at their weak spots.

All of these things are a thrill to use in tandem. You connect the grapples to buildings and use the jetpack to build momentum, and once I got good, I could traverse the length of large urban areas without once touching the ground. I’d bound across the city, get close enough to a Titan that I could use the grapple to latch onto them while still in mid-air, and after lining up an attack, trigger the jetpack to dash in and slice off an arm or a leg. Taking out a leg causes the Titan to fall over, of course, and if they land on a building then that building crumples beneath them. It’s spectacular.

The fighting wears thin before the end of the game, it’s graphically rudimentary, and the plot – which follows the anime exactly – is of little interest beyond the core concept. But what a concept.

1. Dr_Barnowl says:

Spider Man Only You Are Armed With Two Large Stanley Knives.

• CacarotV says:

Dr_Barnowl – Your use of caps frustrates me and leads me to believe you are either a dog behind a computer or a cat with a general understanding of English standing behind a dog behind a computer.

Either way. I don’t trust you.

• nitric22 says:

You’re not lead to believe that the entire operation is headed by a book smart BARN OWL?

• TheDandyGiraffe says:

Your use of a capital letter after a dash makes me wonder whether you’re not both involved in some sort of a twisted socio-linguistic experiment.

Mungrul says:

I would play it, but it’s ridiculously expensive for what it is (£49.99!), and it only supports 1080P and no higher. The Steam community bites back whenever someone asks why no resolution higher than 1080P is supported, claiming that high resolution support isn’t needed.

So nope, no matter how much I liked the series and the gameplay videos I’ve seen, I ain’t played it.

3. Viral Frog says:

“In short: Attack on Titan is Spider-Man vs. Godzilla in an open world with destructible buildings.”

Welp. I haven’t played it but I have to now.

Edit: And then I saw the price. Nope. Gonna have to wait for a huge discount.

4. Kittim says:

That screenshot…

Makes me think of Aphex Twin and Chris Cunningham :)

• fuggles says:

I assumed it was a Swiftian satire where you play as the working classes trying to take down the cackling spectre of Theresa May from that screenshot.

It’s A hark back reference to the Lilliputian struggles of Gulliver. The giant’s titanic proportions are a visual metaphor for the unequal distribution in wealth and social standing. In the absence of an actual social ladder to climb, the working classes defending the front line rely on shortcuts in the form of the harness to try and chop down the giants of industry and society in petty giants in a pique of petty jealousy. As such it’s a satire that cuts both ways, an omnislash, as further indicated by the omnidirectional movement gear.

Is that just me?

5. R. Totale says:

Am I mental or does that look like Hillary Clinton?

• jonahcutter says:

First impression I got too.

Fits her personality, and the privileged neolibs wreaking global destruction that she represents, as well.

Frog says:

It does look like her, I was wondering why it looked kinda familiar. That would be a must have mod. Give the Titans the heads of politicians. Is the game moddable I wonder?

• SaintAn says:

Yeah, looks like her, though I doubt that monster did as much damage as the real monster.

6. Buggery says:

It was fun for the six hours I played with a friend but I’ve felt no need to go back to it. And I’m usually quite fond of Omega Force games.

7. neofit says:

This concept of tiny people fighting giants by climbing over them has been very well done in “Dragon’s Dogma”. A very good game this one. I am totally allergic to any symptom of consolitis, and I’ve been put off buying it by all the crap in here, and I’m mostly talking about the review. But it played perfectly with the keyboard and mouse, and I felt I was playing a very deep PC RPG in the end.

8. mejoff says:

This is the one with the song about the bees and the eagles, right?

Comment on this story