Lovecraftian metroidvania Sundered coming this month

After shrinking us down to fit inside our computers and fight frost giants in Jotun, Thunder Lotus Games are winding up to make us even smaller — and less consequential on a cosmic scale — in Sundered [official site]. They’ve announced their new Lovecraftian metroidvania will launch on Friday, July 28th. It’s explore a ruined world overcome with eldritch horrors, some of which are really, really big. We’re talking ‘standing knee-high to a biomechanical grasshopper’ big. Have a look in this new trailer:

Being chased by a swarm of mouthed tendrilblobs looks positively awful.

Sundered will send us down and around this dreadful world, through a mixture of handcrafted and procedurally-generated levels. It’ll also have multiple endings, which means plenty of surprises are in wait for folks who want to look. Beyond that, yeah, it’s a metroidvania sort of dealio: explore, kill, gain new powers, explore, kill, and so on.

Sundered is coming to Windows, Mac, and Linux via Steam and GOG. It’ll cost £14.99/19,99€/$19.99.

If you’re quick, you can grab Jotun for free for keepsies on GOG. Thunder Lotus celebrated this announcement on Friday by making Jotun free on Steam and GOG, er, for the weekend. While Steam’s offer has expired, the GOG one is up for another two hours. That might have been useful to know earlier. Sorry about that. I was distracted by failing to write a good post about machinima music videos.

1. GeoX says:

I totally just this second got Jotun free on Steam, so it hadn’t expired as of a few seconds ago. Maybe it’s different in the UK.

2. karthink says:

…explore, kill, gain new powers, explore, kill, and so on.

A lovecraftian setting or theme seems like a bad fit for a metroidvania game, because the former is about facing the unknowable, terrifying and hopeless dark and the latter about empowerment and mastering your environment. What usually happens when there’s a conflict of themes like this is the experience of play wins out and the intended theme is reduced to cosmetic set dressing.

I’d be surprised if this plays out differently.

• Daymare says:

Bloodborne was great.

• sub-program 32 says:

I think part of the way these elements are fused here is that it’s quite possible that you growing more powerful and mastering the enviroment around you *is exactly what these greater forces want.* Keeping you alive and forcefully evolving you to something of *their* design. If that perspective is emphasised in this game, I think the lovecraftian themes will end up resonating rather well.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

Every Metroid and Castlevania game I’ve played has enforced a sense of isolation and uncertainty, which is definitely what a Lovecraft-themed game needs to give gameplay the feel of unease and not just the fluff and wallpaper. In those games though, the main enemy despite their power still has limits where in Lovecraft struggle is futile, the end as designed by higher powers can be delayed only because it is meant to and is inevitable for the same reason, that reason being incomprehensible. I’m guessing Sub’s take on it is the right one.

3. sub-program 32 says:

Okay I was a bit ‘meh’ about this game at first, mainly cos I saw the procederal levels and thought “is this really going to be immersive if it’s all made out of random chunks?”
    But now that I see the updated effects and story presence of this trailer, and the news about the presence of handcrafted levels as well, I am a lot more optimistic. I hope they use the procederal levels in moderation, and wish them luck!

4. Xelos says:

Eeeeh, I don’t know about this. Jotun looked AMAZING but the gameplay was really clunky thanks to overlong animations and the game was incredibly barebones. Color me intrigued but skeptical.

• vahnn says:

Yeah, I think this game looks damn amazing, so snagged Jotun for free to see what these guys can do… and it was terrible. The 2-hit super slow, clunky combo and the charged attack that takes forever, and the weird dodge roll, and the sparse environments… and the first two combat encounters were very dull indeed for me.

So now I’m not so sure about Sundered. I’ll have to wait for reviews now. Hopefully ACG does one asap.