Splash Damage working with World of Tanks company on something warnew

Splash Damage, the studio behind Enemy Territory and Dirty Bomb, have joined forces with the World of Tanks/Warplanes/Warships lords at Wargaming to work on “new gaming experiences”. No specific game is announced yet but huh, I am always curious to see what Splash Damage do. It seems not impossible that Splash Damage might make some sort of objective-driven multiplayer FPS in the Enemy Territory mould, and that Wargaming would name it World of Warsomething. The question is: which Warthing? World of Warriors. World of Warmen. World of Warfaces. World of Warwars. World of Warworldwarwarworld. We just don’t know.

Here, this is how vague it is. “The partnership will see Splash Damage applying their vast multiplayer expertise to brand-new projects for Wargaming’s community,” said today’s announcement. But wait, there’s more!

“The two companies will work in tandem to enrich Wargaming’s portfolio with new gaming experiences,” Wargaming added. There you have it: portfolio enrichment.

I’m half-tempted to guess that it is an Enemy Territory/Brink/Dirty Bomb dealio, because Splash Damage release a new revision of that idea every four or five years, but maybe not. They are still working on Dirty Bomb, after all, and are now self-publishing the free-to-play game after getting the rights back from Nexon.

Splash Damage have made more than Enemy Territory ’em ups, of course, with games including the turn-based tactical Rad Soldiers and work on the multiplayer sides of Batman: Arkham Origins and Gears of War 4. These mysterious new gaming experiences could be anything. Well, anything with war. Waranything.

But if it is an ET ’em up named World of Warmen, I want credit and a cut of the takings.

Disclosure: I’m chummy with several people who work/worked at Splash Damage. Yes, absolutely I will try to seed the name World of Warmen to secure my claim to a cut – which is legally binding and cannot be challenged fyi.

1. Sp4rkR4t says:

World Of Men?
    World Of Humans?
    World Of Guns?
    World Of Gibs?

2. Eraysor says:

I really liked Quake Wars…

3. mpk says:

WORLDFACE OF WARFACE

Mungrul says:

Do I remember correctly that a bunch of the Splash Damage guys were involved in Q3TF?
    Loved playing a Medic in that and using concussion grenades to do ridiculous, map-spanning jumps.

5. BooleanBob says:

Seems like a mutually beneficial partnership. Splash Damage have experience making fun games, but have struggled to find and retain an audience. Wargaming have the reach to put a title in front of the eyes of many, many users, as well as experience of how to keep them playing (and paying..)

The proof, as ever, will be in the pudding.

6. dorobo says:

I wish it would be something with mechs. Use all that cool tank stuff with all the right physics for mechs with cannons. That would be awesome.

7. PixelsAtDawn says:

Maybe World of Subs I guess.

Or World of Artillery. But that’s just Worms, surely? World of Worms?

8. LCheers says:

World of Warboys.

9. Captain Narol says:

World of Worms would be a wordwide hit, for sure !

10. Ghostwise says:

Wargaming would name it World of Warsomething

In a brilliant reversal, they surprise everybody and instead make War of Worlds, a Martian invasion simulator.

11. Apologised says:

It’s probably not a new game, WG just got them to help them make maps and gameplay tinkering for that 30v30 Frontlines game mode that’s currently doing the rounds on Sandbox.

12. dsch says:

Dirty Bomb is a great game and still in active development. Apparently some people still think it’s pay-to-win, which only started because a blathering idiot on Youtube said so and wouldn’t admit to his mistake.

• Unclepauly says:

I’ve been getting into it recently and it’s super fun. They’ve been adding things at a steady pace too. I never played it at first because I don’t want to support early access, but it’s been there for a while and I got tired of waiting for release so I gave it a shot. Surprisingly good, also surprised it doesn’t have a much larger playerbase even though it’s a decent size and there’s always games ready to go. Just seems like the type of game that would appeal to a large amount of gamers. Idk, maybe advertising is needed for release.

• dsch says:

Yeah, they’ve always said that they want to wait for full release before having a big advertising push. The recent update had an ad on the Steam login popup and we saw a bunch of new players, so I hope we still see more of these mini advertisement campaigns.

13. terves says:

I think it would be near impossible for them to make anything *but* some sort of objective-driven multiplayer FPS in the Enemy Territory mould, since that’s the only type of game they’ve ever made. Wolf:ET, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Brink and Dirty Bomb were all variations on the same theme. I wouldn’t mind seeing them make another game like ETQW, which was basically the enemy territory formula combined with battlefield-esque combined arms gameplay.

14. Pizzzahut says:

These Wargaming games are great if you want to download 10gb. Everytime I got to play Warthunder or WOT, there’s a large update to do.

• Unclepauly says:

10gb? That’s it? I’ve got games on my HDD approaching 100gb each.

15. ludde says:

And I’m never curious to see what Wargaming does.

16. BaronKreight says:

maybe its somehow related to that new shooter they are working on – Caliber.