Total War: Warhammer II waggles Norsca race DLC as early purchase incentive

Norsca

My partner is literally playing Warhammer in the living room with a friend right now. That means I’ve probably got enough ambient Warhammer to write an entire post about Warhammer. “Age of Sigmar” is a Warhammer phrase. So is 40K. I also remember that guy with all the eyes. The Chancellor of Eyes we call him. Hangs out with the Lord Relictor and Sir Doots And His Trumpet in the Silver Tower. OH. He is called the Gaunt Summoner.

Anyway, if you pre-order Total War: Warhammer II [official site] or buy it on the first week of release you get the Norsca Race Pack for the first game free of charge when that particular DLC comes out on 10 August.

As the famous saying goes, “In the far future when someone turns the lights out and it’s scary there’s a war. Only war. In the dark.”

But turning back to this Norsca business for a moment:

“In the far north, between the Chaos Wastes and the Sea of Claws, lies Norsca. A barren, inhospitable peninsula in the far north of the Old World, it is home to ferocious tribes of warriors, hardened by the relentless blizzards, the barren icy tundra and the monstrous denizens of this accursed land. Fanatical servants of the dark gods, they will stop at nothing to prove their primal might, in a relentless hunt for worthy foes and fresh raiding grounds.”

The Sea of Claws sounds pretty hardcore.

The idea here is obvs to incentivise people who own Total Wa®: Wa®hamme® to buy Total Wa®: Wa®hamme® II: The Wa®hamme®ing early using the power of the Definitely Not Norse Race. This is a good thing if you were planning on getting Total Wa®: Wa®hamme® II: The Wa®hamme®ing anyway AND you have Total Wa®: Wa®hamme® AND you wanted a bunch of Definitely Not Norse warriors for Total Wa®: Wa®hamme®. In that scenario you save money you would have spent on the DLC.

Oh, and according to the FAQ, the DLC is for the first Total Warhammering only but they will end up coming to the second one in a roundabout way a little while after release:

“[S]hortly after the launch of the second game, we will be releasing an extra combined campaign map, which is a whole new, massive campaign accessible for free by owners of both first and second games. Norsca will also eventually be playable in that combined campaign map.”

If you are sensibly waiting to see what we wise owls* have to say about the game you can either wait til that first week of release and read reviews pre-purchase or just pick the Norsca Race Pack up separately for a bit of cash if you really want it. £7.99 to be precise. Or if you just want to sort of see them ambiently around the game but not fully #engage with them as a playable race then they’ll just generally exist. I think Creative Assembly/Sega/Games Workshop call that Free-LC but I don’t because it makes me bilious.

Tune in again tomorrow for the next piece of drip-fed Totally Warhammers content to land in our feeding trough JUST RELEASE THE GAME ALREADY!

On a happier note, one time I painted a Warhammer miniature. She’s called Bernice and is friends with an angry caterpillar called Cheryl.

*I will not be the wise owl for this.

1. Wulfram says:

Norsca seems like a good pick, they’re not like Chaos where you’d feel they’re a necessary part of the core experience.

• Bull0 says:

They basically are Chaos, they’re the human tribes that live oop north and worship chaos. There’s not much there to make an army out of, on the tabletop they’re just part of the larger chaos warrior army

2. wombat191 says:

a. can you be the not so wise owl for this instead?
    b. im feeling a lot of envy for you painting skills.

everything tells me to wait for release, wait for the reviews but i already know i will preorder haha at least i admit it

3. hennedo says:

Your Branchwych looks great! She seems to be responding to an industry rep trying to sell her on “Free-LC.”

4. SaintAn says:

Obviously Skaven is disguise.

5. Banks says:

Did they really make a GC trailer for a pre-order bonus minor faction? Impressive.

Drib says:

Well… I own all the other DLC for Twarhammer, may as well preorder the next one and cement my position.

Also it was a great game. I had ages of fun with it. So why not?

7. fuggles says:

Man… I only just bought the first one with all dlc. I’ll wait for a sale.

8. sosolidshoe says:

I really hope you beginning to collect an Age of Shitmar army doesn’t mean we’re going to get AoS references every time the site discusses TW:WH – the game is basically the only place left fans of proper Warhammer Fantasy have to escape that garbage.

Drib says:

The final DLC for the trilogy removes all your previous world maps and makes you teleport between bubble realities with Sigmarines.

phuzz says:

I heard that if you buy a single AoS miniature, during the night it will wake up and disfigure all your older miniatures.

• Bull0 says:

Clever wordplay. Shitmar. Classic. And uh, they’re still making new stuff set in the old world, they redid Blood Bowl, there’s a new fantasy roleplay book coming out, and they license it for loads and loads of games (TW being just one example). But yeah, you’re bitter about age of sigmar, we get it

9. Imperialist says:

Thats pretty good for your first mini. I just painted my first fairly recently but i dont think i have the innate talent for artistry.
    I think my Primaris Space Marine looks pretty good, but then i look at the official paintjobs and want to weep.
    Though any flaws i can always chalk up to battle damage i suppose…

• Bull0 says:

It’s all about practise, you have to paint lots of wonky looking models before you start painting really good ones. :>

• sapien82 says:

I still have my high elf army and my blood angels army

some are unpainted , I should really finish them one day
      I gave up playing warhammer, 40K and necromunda when I got into my early teens because none of my other friends were into it and the club I used to goto shut down.

10. Hyena Grin says:

I literally only bought the first game after I realized they were going to combine the two into a huge playable map that includes everything.

So kudos to CA for what ended up being a successful marketing tactic. Now I’m kind of invested in the whole darn affair. In for penny, in for a pound, as they say.

That said, I admit to being concerned that the combined map will be scaled down in order to make it work. I am dearly hoping that’s not the case, that we’ll get a very large map and a warning about turn times, etc. But I’ve got a nagging feeling we’ll be looking at a ‘Small Earth’ map, a-la Civilization. Where the details are blurred together until it’s not that interesting anymore.

• Imperialist says:

Im fairly certain they touched upon this in one of the streams and said that they were NOT downscaling anything. In fact, it seems likely it will even run off the same client as TWW1.

• Hyena Grin says:

That’d be rad if true. I hope you’re right!

• exile2k4 says:

Really looking forward to Warhammer 2, but just to clear up a few things:

1) It won’t run off the same client as the first game – if you only own the first game, it’ll stay the same as it currently is, just the Old World Campaign. If you own the first and second game, you’ll run the second game, and be able to choose between the Vortex Campaign that’s the New World map, or (a little while after release) the Combined Campaign, which will be one huge map covering the Old and New Worlds. For the Combined Campaign, owning the first game and any DLC you purchased for it (including the Blood & Gore DLC) will unlock those as playable factions (e.g. Vampire Counts, Wood Elves etc.) for the Combined Campaign.

2) All the details about the Combined Campaign are still very much open to change, they’ve said they want to test it extensively before releasing it. It will probably be very slightly trimmed to make things work, but only by a tiny amount – I think an example is, at various points in the game’s life there have been around 10-15 Greenskin factions when you count all the minor ones. A handful of these will probably be cut, depending I’m guessing on how well it runs and how much fun it is to play.

Phasma Felis says:

Someone really should tell assorted fantasy badasses that swords actually work much better if you sharpen out the nicks and don’t drag them over rocks.

12. Stone_Crow says:

Day 1 DLC… yaaay… woohooo… yeah… Nice one… hey wait a second, isn’t that in fact bullshit and bad for the consumer? Ah, no, it OK, it’s artificially delayed by a couple of weeks. Everything’s fine! Keep pre-ordering video games folks, everyone always wins.

• Crafty_Banana says:

Except…does this really count when it isn’t actually DLC for the game you are pre-ordering? Making it, in reality, Day 365 + a bit DLC. The main objection to day one DLC and pre-order incentives seems to be that the content was cut from the game (I’m not convinced it’s really that clear-cut, but whatever), which demonstrably isn’t the case here, given that the content is for another game entirely.

• exile2k4 says:

You also get this DLC for free if you buy within the first week of release, and with the last game CA were very good with getting code to journalists and streaming the game before release. You will have a whole week after release to read all the reviews you want and watch the game being played and STILL get the DLC for free. You can even get a full refund if you play it for under 2 hours and decide you don’t like it.

I understand there are companies out there that do have really anti-consumer practices, but this really isn’t it.

13. tokyodan says:

WTF! This got to be the worst paragraph ever written: “The idea here is obvs to incentivise people who own Total Wa®: Wa®hamme® to buy Total Wa®: Wa®hamme® II: The Wa®hamme®ing early using the power of the Definitely Not Norse Race. This is a good thing if you were planning on getting Total Wa®: Wa®hamme® II: The Wa®hamme®ing anyway AND you have Total Wa®: Wa®hamme® AND you wanted a bunch of Definitely Not Norse warriors for Total Wa®: Wa®hamme®.”

14. monsoonmoon says:

Thats a grat paintjob for your first time painting. Nice