Lovely peaceful adventure Yonder released

If you fancy exploring, fishing, farming, befriending, cooking, and crafting, while saving a land without fighting anyone, have a gander at Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles [official site]. Launched this morning, it’s a mighty pretty and nonviolent open-world adventure which looks to smoosh bits of games like Stardew Valley and Zelda together. Only with no fighting. No, the way to save everyone is simply by helping people with their tasks.

Our John is having a bash to tell us all Wot He Thinks later but, for now, he tells me he found it “immediately incredibly calming and serene.”

A once-lovely island is being smothered by evil murk, see, and we get to save it. To do this, you’ll need to enlist the aid of spirits by helping people, which involves crafting, fishing, gathering, and all that.

What I’ve seen of the finished game looks far more like a bag of MMORPG fetch quests than I was hoping. A task list hanging in the corner of the screen is not what I want from a calm game as I roam through biomes and seasons. But it is a pretty place to explore, and John seems to be enjoying it.

“It’s hard to explain it as it is, ostensibly, boring. But it isn’t for some reason. It just feels… safe,” John told me for first thoughts.

“The second thought I have is that the day/night cycle is idiotically fast, and night time is far too dark.”

Sounds to me like someone is afraid of the dark. I’m sure his eventual Wot I Think will mostly be about how he was afraid a spooky ghost might spook him or he’d turn the light on and ET the Extra-Terrestrial would be RIGHT THERE staring at him with outstretched finger.

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles is out on Steam, with a 20% launch week discount making it cost £15.99/18,39€/$19.99.

1. Drib says:

Well it certainly looks cute and fun. I liked Stardew Valley (and Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, etc) for the sort of cutesy aesthetic as well as getting to know the NPCs.

So, maybe it’ll be fun. I guess you can get to know that antler-buffalo looking guy there.

2. kababowie says:

If you like drawing and want this game, join my little competition here: link to steamcommunity.com

3. Harlaw says:

I’m holding off till the WIT at least, but the game seems promising! I might get it just for the cute aesthetics alone, because obviously I have A+ priorities.

4. TotallyUseless says:

3D Harvest Moon is non existent to PC, glad Yonder came to fill in the gap. Just bought it on Steam. I wish success for the game. =)

5. cpt_freakout says:

I have been looking forward to this thanks to RPS – I hope John’s verdict is a good one!

6. Urthman says:

I have to agree that there are way too many games with day/night cycles that are gorgeous during the day but dull during the night (like even that open-world Ubisoft driving game The Crew) but no way to “sleep” or otherwise skip the dull dark bits.

7. caff says:

In these days where my life is busy full of work and trying to maintain a steady balance of fitness/alcohol consumption, then trying to avoid hearing about the idiotic politicians and atrocities in the news, I think a nice peaceful game might actually be what the world bloody well needs.

8. racccoon says:

I’ll have to watch 20,000 videos to go with this one before any plunging at all is made.
    Last week I watched 15 videos for antihero then bought the thing and its back on the shelf of shame in Steam. Sometimes watching videos does not even help you at all with game choices! As in a video it can even seem so much better to you to when you actually play it for yourself.

DEV’S…..We Need DEMOS please thx. Bring them back!!

9. EwokThisWay says:

OMG, the part about ET the Extra-Terrestrial i can relate so, so much.

This movie traumatised me when i was a kid, specifically the scene when the kid comes face to face with ET in the cornfield and the one where ET appears to him when he’s trying to sleep, comes to him slowly and start putting his creepy fingers on him while the poor kid is clearly paralized by fear.

I was somehow scared to death of the possibility that a creepy alien would appear just in front of me in the middle of the night when i’m trying to sleep.

Even now, at 31 years old, thinking about it gave me goosebumps. Doesn’t help that i’m in total drakness and about to go to bed.