Don’t expect more of Telltale’s Wolfamongus or Borderlands any time soon

Update: Well ho ho ho don’t I look a fool. Telltale have since announced a new season of Wolfamongus, along with more Batman and The Walking Dead. But no mention of new Borderlands, sadly.

If you’ve been hoping to hear more from Telltale Games about new seasons of The Wolf Among Us and Tales from the Borderlands, don’t hold your breath unless you’re willing to pass out over and over for an indefinite — and possibly endless — time. After That There Internet You Get Nowadays became excited about a marketing hint internauts took to be about an impending Wolfamongus announcement, Telltale marketman Job Stauffer stepped in with a hose to cool everyone’s jets. Nope, it sounds like Telltale won’t release me of either any time soon (if they ever do?).

First, the foolish backstory. As Eurogamer reports, Telltale tweeted earlier this week that today, Wednesday, they would announce some news “that NO ONE will want to miss”. After voice actor Adam Harrington, who plays Bigby Wolf in Wolfamongus, retweeted that, some folks took that to be a sign of Fables news. But Harrington also voices characters in Puzzle Agent, Tales of Monkey Island, The Walking Dead, Guardians of the Galaxy… many Telltale games.

“I worry about people getting their hopes up in the wrong direction,” Job Stauffer tweeted in response, breaking out his hose. “He may be of very few words, but Adam also voices Groot in our GotG.”

Stauffer followed up saying Telltale would “KILL to step back into [Wolfamongus’s] world some day & we know our fans would too.” That doesn’t sound like something happening any time soon. Unless this is an elaborate bluff. But that might be a double bluff. Or a triple bluff… let’s take it at face value, to be safe.

As for Tales from the Borderlands, Stauffer had told a fan a few days prior, “As we’ve said before, we LOVE that project w/ all of our hearts, but the next entry in the [Borderlands] story will be from [Gearbox Software].”

Given that all we’ve seen of Gearbox’s next Borderlands is some art tech tests, any potential new Tales from the Borderlands would be a fair while away.

This is all too bad. Wolfamongus, a moody detective story set in Bill Willingham’s comic book world of Fables where fairy tale characters have fled to New York City from a war, was The Bestest Best Adventure of 2014. And Tales from the Borderlands was a right funny caper, which greatly surprised me as I don’t like Gearbox’s actual Borderlands games.

Telltale recently wrapped up a Batman series and the third series of The Walking Dead. They’ve currently got Guardians of the Galaxy and season two of Minecraft: Story Mode on the go, and we know more Game of Thrones is coming at some point. It’s also surely about time they say more about their transmedia ‘Super Show’ format.

Today’s announcement will start at 4pm so we’ll soon know what’s up. In the meantime, hey, a new Humble Bundle has a load of Telltale games cheap.

1. Beard_Arthur says:

That’s disappointing. I’d argue that “Wolf Among Us” is the best Telltale adventure game, with Walking Dead Season 1 being a close second.

I want my Bigby. :(

• Booker says:

Couldn’t agree more. To me Wolf Among Us is the best of these telltale-style games they ever did. Love it.

I really would like to know what the reason is why they don’t produce a second season. Did the game not sell? Or is there some other kind of blocker?

• Dynamique says:

Agree, best atmosphere and setting (GoT, Minecraft, Guardians – why? Maybe I’m just not the target audience…).

• tomimt says:

In many ways Wolf Among Us is still the pinnacle of the comic book art style Telltale has going on. While The Walking Dead might have tugged my heartstrings a bit harder, I thought Wolf to be more interesting as a story, where the style, gameplay and narrative mixed up perfectly.

• Booker says:

That’s exactly how I feel about this. It was the perfect mix of all these elements. If you check out their Batman game instead, it becomes immediately apparent, how their usual comic style clashes with Telltale-Batman’s more realistic tone (which is extra-weird given how Batman has strong comic roots too). It just doesn’t fit nearly as well and it’s (at least for me) negatively affecting the experience.

Telltale-Batman is still okay though, just not nearly as good as WAU.

• Crocobutt says:

Preach it!

2. LinasKK says:

Eh, sucks, that’s easily their best two games. First season of Walking dead was great, but later it became kind of one trick pony, GoT and Batman were just meh.

• tomimt says:

While I haven’t played Batman, GoT felt like they were trying a tad too hard to be as unpredictable as the series is. It didn’t help that the characters felt like wet cardboard and the familiar faces from the series like mandatory fan service.

• Booker says:

To be honest, with the exception of Tyrion perhaps, I didn’t even notice that they got the original actors to voice these characters.

3. mavrik says:

So essentially we’re in for some more boring cheap license superhero cash-ins. Eh.

4. haldolium says:

“Stauffer followed up saying Telltale would “KILL to step back into [Wolfamongus’s] world some day & we know our fans would too.” ”

So where lies the issue? Licensing? Money? Who do they need to kill to make it happen?

5. Umama says:

I would love to see a proper Fables TV series whether it be live action or animated. On cable or Netflix of course so it isn’t watered down to become Once Upon a Time.

Also, Bigby is dreamy in wolfamongus.

• Booker says:

Fun fact: A Fables TV show was in talks back then actually. But it was deemed too similar to Grimm and Once Upon a Time, which is why they discarded it.

6. KevinLew says:

I’ve read around 10 volumes of Fables after I played The Wolf Among Us, and Bigby’s character is ten times better in the game than the actual source material. I’m incredibly sad that Telltale has no plans on continuing the game story anytime soon.

• Booker says:

I’ve started to read them all because of the game. I’m currently at issue… 60? something like that. I started years ago. :D I could be faster. But hey…

7. Coming Second says:

Sad if you take the view it’s the best of their episodic story games and there aren’t going to be any more. Good if you take the view they followed up the first Walking Dead season with a string of wretched returns, and at least memories of Bigby and co. will remain unsoiled.

8. Bloodoflamb says:

As per Telltale (via Kotaku for me), if 2018 isn’t “anytime soon”, you’re right on The Wolf Among Us. Otherwise, not so much.

9. comic knight says:

link to m.ign.com

And Wolf Among Us season 2 has been announced.

10. Kraizk says:

They announced Season 2 for 2018

link to youtube.com

along with more batman and a final walking dead season

11. msimionescu says:

This is a false report it seems? Polygon just wrote an article about this saying we should expect S2 from WAU next year. Proof:

Telltale Games will release a second season of The Wolf Among Us: A Telltale Games Series, an adventure game based on the comic series Fable, in 2018. The developer revealed that the game was in the works as part of its summer 2017 update, embedded above.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Outdated perhaps, but only because it was written before Telltale’s 4 pm announcement (Coming Second’s comment is right before 4 pm, while Bloodoflamb’s is at 16.22 pm).

12. ChucklesNuts says:

Telltale just released a video that completely makes this obsolete guys link to youtu.be you guys need to contact telltale for comment and make an update.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Other than the one they’ve already made? Sure, it’s in a different article where Alice scolds herself for Tell(tale)-ing outdated news, but it’s there.

• Alice O'Connor says:

When you posted this comment, I had already updated this post.

13. Merus says:

So I guess I’ll be the only one in the comments disappointed we’re not seeing more Tales from the Borderlands, then?

Okay. It was proper good. It was willing to do pretty serious damage to the setting, and filling in more of the world makes the stories in that world that much crazier. Pandora’s a perpetual apocalypse, and it’s not clear why, and none of the games have been dumb enough to try and pin it down to one clear sequence of events.