All DOOM multiplayer DLC is now free

doom666

There’s plenty of gloom to go around, even at the best of times, but can we ever have enough DOOM [official site] in our lives? Well, this weekend there will be DOOM for all as last year’s unexpectedly brill reboot is free on Steam from 6pm UK time (1pm EST) today. You can play the first two campaign levels, and tear about in multiplayer and on the Snapmap custom level tools as much as you like. If you buy the game over the weekend, progress in the trial carries across, and there’s a meaty discount ($14.99 (US) / £11.99 (UK) / $17.99 (AUS)).

Not all the news is for newcomers though. With update 6.66, Bethesda have “retired the DOOM season pass”, which means all multiplayer content is now available to everyone who owns the game, forever. Full details below.

When a game like DOOM “retires” its season pass, you can only imagine that the season pass was taken around the back of the barn and reduced to mince and jelly. No gold watches and fishing trips for Old Man Pass; he’s resting in pieces.

And it’s about time. The campaign is DOOM’s biggest draw but for those who are enjoying the multiplayer, a fragmented playerbase was always going to be a problem. Now everyone has the same maps, same demons and same guns, plus some other additions that have made their way into the game since release.

“That’s three multiplayer DLC packs, which include nine of our best maps, three additional guns, three additional playable demons, new equipment, armor sets and more. That’s on top of the modes and features, like bot support, that players have been enjoying since late last year.”

This is being treated as a refresh of the entire multiplayer system so it does involve a reset of progression. DOOM has unlocks, gained by playing and gained more quickly if you’re playing well. Previously, they were randomised but everything has changed in this new update.

“With this update, we’ve changed when and how players unlock additional guns, demons, equipment and all of the player and weapon customization options. Instead of relying on the current random unlock system, everything now unlocks through specific leveling requirements and/or in-game challenges. Now, if there’s a specific helmet you want, you can work toward unlocking it by focusing your play style on the related challenge. We’re confident new and veteran players alike will enjoy the control and predictability in this new multiplayer progression system.”

The reset doesn’t mean you’ll lose any unlocks you’ve already earned. Your character will be back to level zero but your guns and equipment are still yours.

“We want to ensure everyone has the opportunity to both retain previously unlocked items if they choose, but also unlock anything they don’t have through the new level- and challenge-based progression. To do this we will be resetting all veteran players to level 0. Don’t panic, though – that’s just your level. All veteran players will have the option to completely reset their unlock progression items and experience the new progression system fresh, OR retain all of their existing guns, equipment, demons and customization unlocks that they’ve acquired or purchased and then unlock the remaining items through the revised progression system.”

There are some other changes to multiplayer, including the addition of permanent rune upgrades and HUD tweaks. You can read about all of that here. Meanwhile, I’ll be over in the corner trying to figure out if this noble attempt to invite more people into hell means a single player expansion is more or less likely to happen before the end of the year.

1. Pizzzahut says:

Oh this should totally save the MP.

“Yep, I’m now gunna start playing Doom MP.”

Said no one ever.

2. sneetch says:

Is this why my Steam started downloading 37 gigs of Doom again last night?

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Yes, it is. I had a 37gb download for items I neither want nor need. First world problems and all that… but still.

• Artiforg says:

I only had 29 gig of space left on my drive when this started downloading so it failed with “not enough disk space” so I just deleted Doom.

I’m not deleting my other games just so a download of MP maps can complete.

• Titler says:

I had 70gb free on my gaming SSD, and Doom ate the lot. I’ve tried pointing Steam to another drive to store the patches, which are often twice the size of the full patched game, but never got it to work… I love the campaign of Doom, but haven’t played it in a while so yup, I just deleted it instead for now.

3. Jane Doe says:

I like Doom, its one of the better remakes, but it also came out at the same time as Overwatch did.

End of story.

• Daymare says:

These games are fundamentally different because nobody bought nuDoom for the multiplayer, and nobody bought OW for the singleplayer.

• IncredibleBulk92 says:

Yeah, that’s true. But Doom is still acting like anybody wants to play their multiplayer. I’m sure that it’s perfectly serviceable but there are so many other offerings out there that I doubt there are many still playing DOOM’s multiplayer. I wonder how many people bought the season pass knowing there would only be multiplayer maps within.

• Daymare says:

I agree (had the same thought a few posts farther down). Don’t think many people cared (and fewer still care) about its MP.

My point was: People who bought nuDoom were a different audience than those who bought Overwatch. Thus the claim it failed because of sharing the release with OW is mostly (certainly there’s SOME overlap) false.

OTOH, maybe if OW didn’t come out, more people would’ve been interested in nuDooms MP, too? Guess not really.

• BooleanBob says:

I’m pretty sure cancelling the season pass and giving away all your DLC for free is acting like nobody wants to play your multiplayer.

4. Danda says:

I always buy the season passes for the games I love… but I didn’t for the new Doom. Only multiplayer DLC? No way!

Great game, BTW. The only bad thing about it was the savegame corruption issue (you could lose all your progress for example if the game crashed). This is now fixed, right?

MajorLag says:

Am I understanding correctly that DOOM will be $15 over the weekend? Because I think that’s the price at which I’ll break down and buy it. I don’t really have any interest in MP (unless it comes up at a LAN party or something), but not paying for DLC is a thing I can get behind.

• sneetch says:

It’s a great single player experience, up there with the recent Womenswold (Wolfenstein really, but I like that autocorrect).

• Vandelay says:

You should definitely get this if you have any interest in FPSs. 15 Trump Bucks/12 Queen Heads/18 Bouncer Dreams is a great price for the best shooter in years.

I have never touched the multiplayer though and doubt this freebie will make me.

6. alsoran says:

I’m not really a fan of the season pass but I have coughed up for it in the case of Fallout 4 and Doom, both of which are Bethesda games.

Now that the Season Pass for Doom has been “retired” is there egg on my face? I guess it means that all DLC for Doom from now on will be free, will I get a refund I wonder?

If they’re going to give away DLC content then why would I even invest in the Season Pass when it is no longer a means of getting additional content?

• jman420 says:

well the game has been out 2 years now right? so you got 2 years worth of content didn’t you? If you are an MP player then thats a pretty solid deal, if you aren’t, like I wasn’t, I didn’t buy it. But the single player is a pretty awesome throwback to the old school dooms and well worth a play through by anyone who enjoyed the first dooms.

7. Daymare says:

So will there ever be Campaign DLC or not?

It ended on one heck of a cliffhanger. I can’t believe id don’t realize that the SP was the part people care about.

Ahwell, at least there’s a new Wolfenstein. It emphasised different parts of the pure FPS, but was fun in a similar way. Guns blazing, and all that.

• Mecha_Rocky says:

I’m always wary when a game comes out with MP attached to it, as well as the snapmaps or other dev tool. The snapmaps give the developer an excuse to pass the buck to others, and the MP makes them think they have a ‘community’, which is all bigger devs seem to care about these days. There’s something to be said for a tried and true solid campaign made by the dev that creates a – how do I say it – more “canon” feel to the title?

• Daymare says:

Yeah, but is its MP even a ‘thing’? They’d know how many players they have, it can’t be that many.

I thought the campaign was great — simple, idiotic in a self-conscious way, and perfectly in tune with the gameplay. Pretty badass. I enjoyed all the lorebits you could unlock and read in your idle time, too.

• Mecha_Rocky says:

The lorebits…! I knew I forgot to do something after I completed the game. Thanks!

And yes, the MP was definitely not a thing, at least in my friend group, extended friend group, or 100 sq mi radius.

• Daymare says:

They’re pretty neat. There’s usually multiple entries per enemy/person/place, and each set kinda escalates. First one for a monster tells you some obvious lore, and the last one is usually more fucked-up secret stuff about how it was made, etc.

And basically what lore there is you get from reading them, I think. Especially some of the less obvious stuff later on about those dead wraith-like things, I think, that’s got some nice speculative snippets.

Nauallis says:

Honest Trailers nailed the description for Doom – the singleplayer is like chocolate & peanut butter, really awesome fusion of old and new. The MP is like skittles & fish.

• ocdmonkey says:

I think they know that the SP is what everyone really wants, but creating even a rushed & short SP campaign would be more work than what they have been doing with MP. I highly suspect some sort of sequel/SP DLC is in the works due to the high demand, but if it is going to be as well polished as what we got, it’s going to take time.

What I really want still, though, are proper mod tools. Come on, id, people are still constantly playing the original Doom because of how mod friendly it is, and Snapmap is just never going to cut it.

8. UmungoBungo says:

Are any of the snapmaps good or are they all a bit rubbish?

• ocdmonkey says:

I second this question. I feel that just by the nature of it, though, that they are probably always going to be completely disappointing (I’ve only been able to play maybe half a dozen before giving up on it).

id really needs to let this game fully live up to its legacy and release proper mod tools.

9. morganjah says:

The question for me is can I play multiplayer DOOM with a specific person, like my son, or is it random who you play with?

• automatic says:

Is that what you really want to ask or is it: will my son play this with a random person, like a terrorist or a communist, or will he play only with the chosen people that lives within the sacred ground?

Just joking… or am I? To answer your question though most multiplayer games nowadays allow you to setup private matches so you can probably play this with whoever you choose to.

10. goodgeorge says: