Pyre sizzles in new trailer ahead of next week’s launch

Pyre combat

Pyre [official site], the party-based RPG from the creators of Bastion and Transistor, is out next week, and there’s a fiery new trailer out to celebrate the launch. You control a party of exiles trying to escape from a pretty purgatory by taking part in ancient competitions, called Rites, which are 3v3 real-time arena battles. You’ve got to extinguish the other team’s pyre (hence the name) while keeping yours alight.

The hand-painted art style shown in the trailer trailer is absolutely stunning. It’s no surprise, really, given Supergiant Games’ past efforts.

Seriously, look at how colourful it is!

Both Bastion and Transistor were lonely affairs, with single heroes moving through big, bad worlds. Here, there’s going to be lots of different characters and a greater emphasis on story and dialogue.

“You’ll get to know an ensemble cast of characters struggling to earn back their freedom as you make your way across the forsaken land called the Downside. Characters in Pyre come in all shapes and sizes, from hulking demons grown strong from their struggle to survive, to the winged Harps, who plot against their enemies from their mountain nests. Everyone in Pyre has a unique story behind their exile, and their own reasons for wanting to return.”

There’s also no game-overs: you can lose 3v3 matches, obviously, but that will then become part of the story, and the game will carry on. Neat. There’s a 1v1 local multiplayer mode, too, where you can show off what you’ve learnt in the main game.

I thought both Bastion and Transistor were majestic, mainly for the sense of wonder they created. Let’s hope Pyre can do the same. It’s out on Tuesday, July 25 and will cost £14.99/19,99€/$19.99 on Steam.

FhnuZoag says:

Looking great!

There’s also a gameplay explainer on the official site. Funnily enough it looks a lot like a gamejam game I made a while ago. Great minds think alike eh?

AutonomyLost says:

I adore the style of art this developer continues to churn out. Gorgeous stuff. I was a big fan of Transistor, but will probably be skipping this one because it doesn’t look to scratch any particular itch of mine. However, I’ll admire from afar. I hope it’s good for those who buy it!

FhnuZoag says:

Hmm, comment system ate my earlier comment.

Well, I was just gonna say I’m pretty hyped. It’s worth noting the official site has a gameplay video for multiplayer – and it reminds me a lot of a game I made a while back for a gamejam. Great minds think alike, hehe.

4. Ditocoaf says:

At first I was a bit disappointed to see that this was a real-time arena affair controlling multiple characters. I’ve never been able to handle real-time-tactics type games like that, and I never liked them quite enough to get good enough to like them more.

But the whole “if you lose, you don’t replay the fight, the story just carries on incorporating that loss” thing? I am so very down for that. I’ve been wanting that forever. That’s enough (along with, of course, the fact that these are the people behind freaking Bastion and Transistor) to goad me to figure out how to split my attention between multiple units. (Looking forward to experiencing the story of my posse that loses all the time!)

• Tacroy says:

Unless they’ve changed it, only one character can move at a time. Here’s TB’s commentated preview video from PAX East of last year (direct link to the tutorial segment of the video): link to youtube.com

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I wonder if you can go through the entire game having never won a battle. It’d be especially interesting if that was the “true ending.”

5. upupup says:

Hold on, is there no gog release? Transistor and Bastion are both available there, so why not Pyre?

Don Reba says:

Can’t say I really like anything about that trailer. Except the frame rate. Why don’t all PC developers release 60fps video?

7. axfelix says:

I think almost everyone I’ve talked to about this is having trouble getting excited about it. I like Supergiant’s past work, I like arcade sports games, I like Star Control-scope RPGs, I like almost everything about this in theory, but … I dunno. I preordered it because I felt bad being so unenthusiastic.

• upupup says:

The problem is that it’s shown to be trying to do a lot of different things, but it’s hard to tell whether it does any of them well. There’s not a stand out bit that draws your attention and makes you excited to play it.

The price also suggests that it’s trying to do all these things within the same scope as Bastion and Transistor, leading to the risk of a more shallow experience overall.

Their art-style I feel might work against them here as well. It looks they wanted to take things in a strange and abnormal direction, but the aesthetic they went for is safe, American comic book weird. There’s nothing otherwordly about it.

I might get it if it gets released on gog at some point, but I’m currently worried that this’ll end up too unfocused to be as good as their previous work.

8. lagiacrux says:

i loved bastion and adored transistor. i’m also not sure about this, as it seems hard to comprehend what the final game will feel like, but supergiant games are one of the very few developers where i trust them enough to buy the game at launch. looking forward to experience this.

9. 13tales says:

I also have absolutely no idea what this is, but Supergiant have earned enough goodwill from me that I’ll pick it up on faith, unless reviews are bad. Bastion and Transistor weren’t perfect, and didn’t always work, but they were always interesting.

• Crafter says:

Same thing here.
      Just waiting in case there are absolutely atrocious reviews coming out in the next day (is there an RPS one planned btw ??) and I will by with the launch discount.

Even if it ends up not being my thing, SuperGiants is one of the studios I want to see succeed.

Comment on this story