What are we all playing this weekend?

The weekend is upon us! Before I ask wwppwappapwatw, I want to know: what you are doing to prepare to play this weekend? Me, I’ve got a routine – though of course I own tools to handle my own Cyber Razor Cut.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: I’ve got my eye on pretty roguelike Tangledeep and cute medieval city-builder Kingdoms and Castles, but I’ll probably fritter away most of my time on Out of the Park Baseball. It’s 2020 and I might finally win the World Series with my shoddy Mets.
Alec: [Alec has been fired -ed.]
Alice: You bet your botty I’m playing Plunkbat. I’ve still not managed a win, only a second place that was so very close, but I’m still having a lark wandering around an island, picking up guns, bantering with the lads, and searching for those elusive Blue Hi-top Trainers. They really make my outfit pop, though obviously I enjoy the thrill of the hunt too. I’ll almost be disappointed if they become a permanent unlock like most of the other clothing.
Brendan: I’m playing Pyre, the new fantasy wotsit from the Bastion people. It’s… well, you’ll see. I’ve also begun playing Final Fantasy IX, for some god forsaken reason. I’ve never played it before but it’s the one that always appears in internet jokes and I think that has seeped into my psyche over time. It sure is a Final Fantasy game, and that’s what I was craving.
Graham: I played and completed Inside last weekend. That’s a masterpiece, isn’t it? Much better than Limbo at communicating what you need to do in each area without simply killing you, and with better physics. Plus just totally beautiful. Adam has convinced me that the correct followup to this is What Remains of Edith Finch, so I’ll try that this weekend while also plugging away at platformer The End Is Nigh. It has grown on me but it’s no Super Meat Boy.
John: Gosh I hope I can find some time between the twin horrors of a 3 year old’s birthday party and reclaiming our back garden from 3ft high meadow to play some more Kingsway. Flipping crikey, it’s great. I have no ambitions beyond this.
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing Overwatch. I could also visit the Statue of Liberty. If there’s time I should try to fit in a spot of confronting some Warhammer figurines.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Don Reba says:

Wait, SEGA is AGES in reverse? Mind blown!

• welverin says:

My take away from that was the price of the game, 20-60 pounds and people complain about the prices of games now!

2. PC Gamer Girl says:

I LOOOOVED What Remains of Edith Finch. It was SO beautiful. Probably one of the more beautiful games I’ve ever played. This weekend, I think I’ll be taking up Black Desert Online for a bit, as well as getting The Depths (Little Nightmares DLC) underway for a video. Oh, and House Party… which I’m torn between enjoying and hating LOL

3. Vurogj says:

I may have misread Pip’s comment as “comforting some Warhammer figurines” and felt a slight warm glow near my heart, but I’m ok, it’s gone now.

• welverin says:

I want to konw what kind of future technology allows her to just drop in and see the Statue of Liberty whenever she pleases.

• Ghostwise says:

A train to Paris would suffice.

• poliovaccine says:

The aeroplane?

Incidentally, if she does, Pip will be within spitting distance of me – though I have no special intention to spit on her.

• Merry says:

A game of Deus Ex?

4. ColonelFlanders says:

I’m currently replaying the Witcher 3 from scratch to do the DLCs and boy did I forget what a fucking amazing game this is. I’m gonna go ahead and use that horrible hyperbolic word, but to me TW3 is a true Masterpiece. I can’t wait to get to the DLC.

Also at some pount over the weekend I’ll be doing about 8 hours on iRacing, which is similarly masterful for different reasons.

5. fuggles says:

If I’m lucky I’ll have time to work on the dawn of war soulstorm renegade guard mod. It’s not going to rejig itself!

6. Aetylus says:

Mostly some online turn based biffo in Atlas Reactor, plus a bit of Cosmoteer for a more relaxing time and a smattering of EU4 for some thoughtful time.

7. obscured says:

Yesterday evening I picked up player unknow Battle ground, Played a few games had some fun, around 19:00 a friend came online we started playing in duo mode, at about 23:00 another friend came on we convinced him to buy the game. I played 10 hrs in one sitting! I have not done that with any game in years, So I know what I will be playing this weekend!

8. dethtoll says:

I’ve been getting back in touch with Capcom’s horror games at a staggered pace the last couple years, so this weekend’s festivities will include a revisiting of Dead Rising 2. Must admit I’m looking forward to it, as well as the excuse to fire up my 360, which I do even more rarely than my other consoles.

9. FurryLippedSquid says:

Like Adam I will also be giving Kingdoms and Castles some time. It seems quite light on features at the moment but the balancing already feels excellent.

That and the Titanfall 2 campaign which is a real beauty. One of those FPS games which remembers that they used to be fun and not quite so serious. If you enjoyed Shadow Warrior, Doom or Wolfenstein, this is most definitely for you.

10. Bobsy says:

Starbound. I’m not exactly sure how I feel about it.

On the surface it’s basically my ideal game – cute pixel art, creative building, exploration… but I’m a bit put off by having to do everything myself, Minecraft style. I want to specialise in fossil hunting, but am hampered by having to source my own materials.

Also, the teleporter fast travel is way too convenient, so I end up spending the least time on my ship. Boo!

11. second_hand_virgin says:

X-Com 2 with Long War, but, as their idea to make game harder is rather boring (spam pods, and then spam some more pods),I should probably return to happy grinding in Neon Chrome (last gun to unlock, yay!)

• jonahcutter says:

You might try looking into the Guerilla War mod for Xcom 2. I’ve heard good things about it.

• second_hand_virgin says:

The problem is bigger, because I really like many of the little tweaks they did in LW2 to skill trees, base management, weapons and their upgrades, infiltration is also a nice, neat idea, but then, I’m sending my team on location and every battle from the begining is a slow, painful chore – mostly beacause I know that any rush may immediately kill all my soldiers.

Grizzly says:

Summer holiday is here, giving me loads of free time I don’t know what to do with. To fill in the gaps, I’ve been playing Mass Effect Andromeda, which is surprisingly good! I am not yet certain whether this is due to tempered expectations or it just being a better game then Mass Effect 3, but I definitely feel like it’s a better game then Mass Effect 3. It’s story does take a while before it gets going though (and, well, the demo cuts out just before this Vault you find, which is the most interesting bit of that planet and kicks the plot along).

Aside from that I have more or less constantly been playing Brigador: Up-Armored Edition, the relaunch of an indie mech/tank/hover game that was enjoyed by a lot of people who played it and wasn’t enjoyed by the people who never heard about it, which was an awful lot of people. It’s relaunch seems to have had a positive effect on it’s visibility, and it deserves that: Whilst isometric in nature it to me captures the feel of Mechwarrior (and specifically that mechwarrior 3 intro in the ruined city) and the Battletech franchise really well. I’ve also heard favourable comparisons to LAPD future cop, but I never really was into that. I love it: The game encourages you to pick increasingly more difficult scenarios and loadouts, enticing you with a bigger cash bonus if you survive. Everything within the map edges can be flattened, offering so many flanking and mouseholing oppertunities. It’s rad. I can’t stop playing.

I’ve also been playing a bit of Sniper Elite: V2. It was given away for free a long time ago, back when Sniper Elite 3 had just come out. It’s not that good, it funnels you into corridors a bit too much, but sometimes you just want a WW2 shooter and V2 does deliver on that.

• mpk says:

Contrary to popular opinion, I rather enjoyed the first ten hours or so of Mass Effect – and more, all the way up to the founding of the first colony and investigation of the first vault.

After that it very, very quickly became about icon collecting and map ping-pong, and my enjoyment slowly but surely disappeared.

It’s a very flawed game, and I stopped playing after thirty or so hours (iirc). I hope you enjoy it more than I did!

• Seyda Neen says:

I’m also playing Andromeda, liking it as well. There’s some cringe and some bugs, but I like exploring beautiful new worlds.

• Blackcompany says:

Also enjoying ME:A quite a bit. Surprised me. Now I find myself sad that its basically been abandoned by EA. They finally managed to get me to buy one of their games, and now, they are done with it.

• wombat191 says:

its annoyed me as well. there are so many unanswered questions and the next game and the dlc had so much potential

miss you ryder

13. mpk says:

I shall be playing more Stellaris. I’ve just completed my first full game, having only bought it during the Steam sale, and I’m eager to discover whether that mid-game lull was only because I started playing as a purely new-age, pacifistic, let’s-all-be-friends type version of humanity and ended up spamming colony ships just to win the game, or whether it’s systematic of a game that’s missing mechanics from the two genres it’s mashing up.

• wombat191 says:

you should be ashamed of your society and exterminated… well that’s what my society of hive bugs says anyway

• mpk says:

Have started a new game as a society of xenophobic attack mushrooms, and wondering why I never did so before. I may have found my niche.

14. welverin says:

Breath of the Wild is a lage game and I eill not be done with it any time soon.

I do get so e Mass Effect Andromeda MP in here there however. Weekly missions for Street Fighter 5 as well.

15. Demiath says:

Despite being a mediocre stealth player who really should know better, I’m currently 50 hours into my first Dishonored 2 playthrough – aiming for a complete No kill/No detection run on Very Hard difficulty with No Powers and all the UI features turned off.

The level design is excellent, but my favorite part of the game is the amazing texture work. Luckily the game has NVIDIA Ansel support, which means you can really get the most out of those spectacular environments…

• wombat191 says:

50 hours with your FIRST play through?

damn i got to 36 hours in the game and that’s my 3rd play through. ha its wicked fun with NG+ :D lots of powers !

• Molay says:

You’re a braver man than I am. First playthrough, on very hard, no powers, no kill/no detection and no UI? I’d be in a sorry state if I had to do that. Good luck to you, may your masochism bring you pleasure.

• Crusoe says:

You, sir, have my respect for life.

I’m currently playing a lot of hard-difficulty immersive sims, but all that on your first try of D2? I salute you!

16. CheeseFarts says:

ButterField when i get bored, DOOM.

17. fenriz says:

oldies from gog: Blood 1 (been at it for 5 months, too long a game!) and King’s Quest 2 (beat the 1st one, had to use 6 whole hints!).

18. Ben King says:

I’ve been binging on Witcher 3 recently, but nothing has compared with the BloodyBaron quest line yet:-/ I’m kinda struggling to pace myself – there’s a glut of missions for any given approximate level so if I’m really trying to clean up my quest list eventually I’m just trampling enemies. Gotta just keep moving but I really want to hear all the stories! The No Man’s Sky promotional ARG has me really wanting to pick it up again and wrap up one of the major quest lines and get myself a rover to zip around in, so I may boot up my warp drive and explore some new stars. Also a few hands of Hundred Rabbits solitaire game DONSOL in analog mode with actual cards while listening to some of Rekka’s band camp and pretending I live on a sailboat.

19. Faldrath says:

Dark Souls 3, working through the Grand Archives. Dying every new room, looks like, but it’s an interesting place full of little secrets. I’ve unlocked the main shortcut so I think a boss battle is near. Therefore, I took a detour to another tower in the distance and got absolutely destroyed by flying golden knights. Then I had to go to sleep and I couldn’t because I was trying to think of a way to beat them. Never change, Dark Souls. Never change.

• Vandelay says:

You are pretty close to a boss fight. It is a really fun one too.

After that, you are actually on the home stretch, with a possible detour to the really cool, but unbelievably hard DLC.

• Faldrath says:

I tried Ariandel for a bit a while ago. Managed to kill the big bad wolf, but then I ran into that part with the bastard axe-wielding bastards of bastardiness, and decided to come back later. I’ll probably try it again right before the final fight, especially now that I have a +10 refined longsword (yep, all those crazy weapons and I’m still rocking one of the most basic ones. Go me!)

• fish99 says:

You can actually do the DLCs after the end boss if you want, since you’re not immediately forced into NG+. They’re definitely intended for characters that are near the end of the game, like level 80 and 100 respectively or something like that.

MajorLag says:

DOOM. I’ve heard such good things, it was finally at impulse-buy price, and I’m really in the mood to shoot a whole bunch of monsters in the face.

• wombat191 says:

i was looking forward to it but i lost interest at around 50 minutes.. it seems pretty samey

AutonomyLost says:

Have fun! It’s a great game. I am on what I believe is the final mission and have been for some time. I need to finish it finally so I can replay the game on Nightmare.

22. malkav11 says:

For some reason I’ve finally decided to try FFXIV, so there will be a fair bit of that. I have mixed feelings about it. There are some really smart systems and I like that you can switch classes on the fly, but it’s also got some design choices that seem to be an east-vs-west sort of thing that are jarring or inexplicable to this westerner. And it’s kinda grindy – not nearly as bad as Korean MMOs I’ve tried like Lineage or…um…the one where the selling point is that you can fly for a couple minutes at a time – but still grindy. And the early game narrative is substantial but not super exciting. But hey, I have a few more weeks before I have to subscribe or bail.

After listening to some podcast discussion of a terrible Star Wars tie-in novel (based on the N64 Shadows of the Empire, I think), I’m also kinda craving some SWTOR. And Nier: Automata, Doom 2016, and Titanfall 2 are also likely on the agenda. I’ll draft and perhaps gold farm in Hex. And I have the character creation session for a hopeful Unknown Armies 3E campaign coming up tonight, so fingers crossed that’ll go well.

23. fish99 says:

Finished Bloodborne NG+ for the second time this week. This time around Ludvig took 5 tries, Orphan of Kos 6 tries, which is good, but bizarrely Miklash took 30 tries. He kept one-shotting me with his stupid arcane burst.

The game is just amazing though. I think it edges out the original Dark Souls through having more interesting and coherent story/lore and better boss designs (art wise).

Dunno what’s up next. Currently playing three Forza games and Witcher 3.

• Minglefingler says:

Mikolash gives me the most in any playthrough after NG. Mind you, I didn’t do any optional or dlc bosses in my NG+ or NG++ runs as I had tunnel vision concerning the platinum trophy by that point, I’d spent ages in the chalice dungeons and was ready to move on to another game. Temporarily of course.

• fish99 says:

I actually got so annoyed with Mikolash I used the wiki, which told me if you stay close he doesn’t do the arcane burst, and I killed him next try. I didn’t have any problems with him last time in NG+, but that was a skill build with the fast Mercy Blades rather than a quality build using Ludvig’s blade.

Nauallis says:

Civ6, GoW4, Destiny & 2 Beta, Fallout 4, maybe Witcher 3 GOTY, if I can convince myself I want to get into it.

Also Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 is hilarious, but not that much fun unless playing with friends.

RIP Alec.

25. trollomat says:

I’m not really into ARPGs, but somehow Adam convinced me to try out Path of Exile, AND I finally managed to dig out my old Warcraft 3 CDs. So I’ll be playing some WC3 again after, what, 10 years? while downloading PoE. Then let’s see if I want to switch.

Edit: Also, it’s just absolutely perfect gaming weather, because Berlin in drowning right now.

• Faldrath says:

I love PoE dearly (more than 2000 hours), but I’d advise you to wait until the 3.0 expansion in a couple of weeks if you haven’t played it before. The new player experience should be much improved.

• trollomat says:

Thanks for the advice. I read about the expansion, but didn’t spot anything about changes for new players. So

I wait outside the pilgrim’s door
        with insufficient schemes.

• Faldrath says:

There’ll be an improved tutorial and, most importantly, you won’t have to play the same content 3 times to reach endgame, you’ll be able to play the 10 acts in sequence and get the full story – said the straight man to the late man.

26. cpt_freakout says:

I’m still catching up with last year’s games so I’m playing OneShot (its tone is so sad, just what I need right now). I might give Thumper a go afterwards!

27. Minglefingler says:

Still Dark Souls for me, Manus has kicked my arse a few times this week. I was finding it hard to work up the enthusiasm for the run back to him so I made my way to Izalith and killed the worst boss in the game, now I believe I only have Gwyn left. Gotta kill Manus first though. And Kalameet.

28. Viral Frog says:

This weekend I’m playing, “Holy shit, my oldest child just turned 7 but it feels like he was born just yesterday.” Then, after the party, I’ll be playing Diablo 3, WoW, and some Heroes of the Storm. Oh, and probably sprinkling in some Overwatch as well.

Edit: I will also be playing a healthy dose of Skylanders. We got the little man the new Skylanders setup and a bunch of the characters to go along with it.

29. hoho0482 says:

I can speak with confidence now half the weekend is gone:
    1) packaging up my oculus to return to Amazon. Instant vomfest for me.
    2) kingdoms and castles. Although it appears not as deep as I’d hoped so maybe some oxygen not included.
    3) 7 days to die as always.

• psychrage says:

What games did you try on the Oculus?
      You need to build up your brain for the disconnect from reality to VR. Roller coasters still make me uneasy in VR, but I’m accustomed to everything else I’ve tried.

Skabooga says:

Noooooooooo, John, don’t cut the meadow! I thought you said you were growing it intentionally (or at least, growing it so that you didn’t have to waste time cutting it). Is some sort of evil neighborhood association putting you up to this?

31. parsley says:

I’ll be playing “attending my ex’s birthday party,” which should be exactly as fun as it sounds. I gave Slime Rancher a try last night and was faintly horrified by the little creatures’ hungry, bloody mouths, but I might give it another go to see if I can keep those adorable monsters on the cute side of life.

32. King in Winter says:

I’ll be mostly playing Hyper Light Drifter since I grabbed it in Steam sale, or rather finishing it up. Two outfits will likely remain outside my reach, as both involve chain dashing. The first being behind a twisting tunnel of crystal mine traps and a horde of enemies in a small room, the second behind the 800 consecutive chain dashes achievement. A great game regardless, besides the difficulty of some chain dash challenges.

jssebastian says:

Playing prey, scanning all those typhoons for their sweet superpowers and wondering when I’ll go all in on alien neuromods and break up with my friendly turrets… It seems that hacked turrets will not shoot you even if you have too many typhoon neuromods, I’m planning to put that to the test, so I can have alien powers AND turret friends.

..and, the end of witcher blood and wine is still waiting for me…

34. Jekadu says:

Packing the Moving Boxes A Full Month Before Moving Because I Can’t Wait. Also, I need to make the place available for my landlord so he can show it to prospective renters.

• Jekadu says:

Update: I asked my mom if she could help me sort some stuff into moving boxes and she’s been tearing through the apartment like a very tidy whirlwind since.

Iamblichos says:

I’ve been playing Path of Exile and really liking it… that being said, I’m burning out with it just before I get to the end because it is SO COMPLETELY Diablo plot-wise. Not sure how Blizzard hasn’t sued them, it’s so similar in so many ways.

36. wombat191 says:

starpoint gemini warlords.. i have a few battleships to build and murder people with

37. Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

Despite having about 5 other games I’ve been meaning to get around to, I’ve instead started my replay of the whole Dishonored series before Death of the Outsider is out. I’ve just finished the High Overseer mission in the first game. I’m trying to remain completely undetected and use no powers other than blink.
    It’s amazing that I’m still noticing new details and secrets almost 5 years after the game was released.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

*gasps for air*

Breath of the Wild!

*Takes a deep breath and dives back in*

(Also planning on picking up Splatoon 2 this weekend)

39. geldonyetich says:

Since you asked, any level of preparation I have to play this weekend is more or less irrelevant given that my weekend evenings are shanghaied by the shenanigans of the familial day care obligations.

Given free will, I’d probably spend the weekend coding anyway. I gots the development bug again.

40. simontifik says:

For some reason I’ve been sucked back into FTL this weekend. It’s fantastic. Managed to unlock a few ships I never had, still haven’t managed the Crystal Cruiser though!

• second_hand_virgin says:

FTL is the best after long breaks. In the first 50h of game I succeed in absolutely NOTHING, rarely making to the final boss fight, so I’ve quit for month or two, and then: a miracle – five succesful runs in a row. (And from then it’s my favourite game in the history of gaming).

41. keaft says:

So I saw the Tangledeep article on here and thought that it would be a nice successor to Castle of the Winds (which should have an article in “Have You Played” because of how iconic it was.)

Anywho Tangledeep didn’t quite fit that same style close enough, but it did lead me to a perfect successor to Castle of the Winds nonetheless. I’m going to be playing Dungeonmans this weekend and enjoy every minute of it like I have been for the past 3 days. Tangledeep inspired by > Dungeonmans heavily inspired by > Castle of the Winds.

42. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

On Friday, I played a bit of Doom multiplayer thanks to the free weekend as a break from a quite suspenseful and sometimes slightly terrifying “game” of on-call shift as a Chaplain Extern at a large hospital. Doom multiplayer is meh – nothing to write home about.

Today, I played some Fallout 4 – still hasn’t progressed with the story all that much, I am working on my settlements and the sidequests – 37 hours in and I barely arrived to Diamond City.

Tomorrow I hope to continue my obssession with modded Fallout 4 and maybe some Shadow of Mordor and/or Wolfenstein: The New Order.

43. dylan says:

Managed to squeeze in one hand of Gwent. Welcome to parenting.

Least I won.

44. Gomer_Pyle says:

Duelyst. It’s so flippin’ amazing!

45. Superpomme says:

I finally got round to sinking some time into Unrealworld, so I’ll be spending some time fishing and building my little house in preparation for my first winter. When I tried it a while back, I walked into town, punched someone in the face…missed – they broke every limb of my body and I crawled out of town to be eaten by a bear. Good times.

46. Rainshine says:

XCom2. It feels a lot like the previous XCom. Moving forward slowly is still best ever, snipers are only slightly less godmode, shotgun kiddies murder the world, but heavies actually have a useful function now. Oh, look, I moved the last guy on my turn to the left side of another of my troops. He’ll randomly sight an enemy through three walls on the other side of the map. That guy will activate two other packs of enemies. Zero in sight to twelve triple moving on me. Concealed mode is kindof nice, because their sight rules almost make sense then.

47. MushyWaffle says:

Enjoying the heck out of Fortnite. This is my kind of game, almost therapeutic. It really can’t be justifiably compared to other games (I mean, it “could”), because it really like any other game. I find it very polished and fun. I’m enjoying the creativity and building while not being required to have god like twitch reflexes.

48. Chaoslord AJ says:

The Simple Life 2 Modpack for Minecraft.
    Comes with Viescraft airships and Minecolony, two amazing Mods in my opinion.

Also can always switch to Realm Grinder in the other tab.

49. tasteful says: