Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite confirms Gamora and more-a

The crossover tag-team lineup of Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite [official site] will welcome Gamora from Guardians of the Galaxy, Nemesis from Resident Evil, Haggar from Final Fight and Street Fighter, Frank West from Dead Rising, and Spider-Man from Spider-Man, Capcom confirmed over the weekend. You might notice that none of those revelations are X-Men. MvC Infinite is X-light because, according to the official explanation, who even remembers X-Men anyway? Anyway, watch ’em fight:

Biffo! And yup, these confirmations line up with the leaked and datamined rosters – which don’t include a single X-Men character. X-folk have been a big part of MvC all along but it’s looking like they’ll be absent from Infinite.

MvC Infinite producer Michael Evans talked a bit around this in a recent interview with GameSpot, saying that the lineup was decided by considering character types and movesets, how they would fit into the Infinity Gem-y story, and popularity.

“Then also we talked with Marvel very closely about their future roadmap, about what’s gonna be happening. Your modern Marvel fan, maybe they don’t even remember some of the X-Men characters, but they know some of the Guardians characters or Black Panther. You know what I mean? Captain Marvel may seem like a strange pick, but she’s fantastic. She fits the gameplay. She fits the story, and they’re gonna be really pushing her as a strong female lead all the way up into the movie. We’re trying to take everything into account and choose the best characters.”

And yet the incarnation of Gamora in MvC Infinite looks almost nothing like the one known to “your modern Marvel fan” through the Guardians of the Galaxy movies.

I do know what you mean though, Michael. X-Men, X-Men, let me think… they have an angry fella who hides cutlery up his sleeves, don’t they? A bloke who sees lasers. Her with a disguise kit. I vaguely recall a lady who makes the weather worse, though that seems a rubbo superpower so it might have been a dream? Doctor Magnethands, the villain of Grant Howitt’s RPG? Oh! There was a girl who hid knives in her shoes. I saw a moody arthouse flick about her – you probably wouldn’t know it, it was pretty obscure.

Ah, I shouldn’t be unkind. Neither the decision to exclude X-Men nor presenting nonsense reasoning as the official explanation would have been decisions Michael Evans made. The Internet will tell you that Marvel are trying to downplay the X-Men because Fox still hold the movie rights and Marvel want to focus on comics and characters they can give the full transmedia experience. Conspiracy theories get a touch carried away with the accusations of self-sabotage but yes, Marvel certainly do seem to be shifting focus away from the X-folk who ruled the ’90s.

1. RedViv says:

Wholverine? Cycwhops? Never heard of ’em.

2. icarussc says:

I’m not an attractive green lady, and so maybe I just don’t know. But if I were, I’m not sure I’d wear armor that had what appeared to be a stylized version of my genitals on them.

• Beefenstein says:

My name is REVULVA and I can spin so hard that it will turn your gearstick into a barber’s pole!

• sneetch says:

I’m not a lady either but I believe that girl stuff is actually further down.

• Unclepauly says:

I find it so confusing that you have a large group of women that want to be able to walk down the street naked, and then you got feminists that don’t want the female body to be shown or admired. That’s just irl. In games too many times I’ve seen men get upset over a female representation in a game, and then find out the design was made by a woman. Basically I’m saying as a species we’re quite confused (STILL) about the human body.

3. Pich says:

shame they picked the most bland of Gamora’s design. i would even take her old thong costume over this mass effect reject; thanks Bendis.

4. automatic says:

X-Men is too political. We don’t want that. We don’t want people fighting for rights or anything of the sort. We want obvious world conquering supervillains that may or may not have some racial feature exaggeration. We want a cool adventuring millionaire super hero as the Spider-Man capitalist boss instead of some grumpy old man that only wants to make cash from his work. This is the future my fellow friends, let’s face it.

• HothMonster says:

It has nothing to do with X-men being political and everything to do with Marvel/Disney trying to strangle X-men’s popularity until Fox gives up the movie license. Just two giant multimedia corporations bickering.

• automatic says:

I honestly doubt they’d try to strangle a character like Batman that same way just to get a movie license. Why? Because X-Men is too complex and it’s much easier to get some investment return by netting the same average public on a fresh new franchise like Guardians of the Galaxy. You think corporations bicker among themselves like we do on job competition? Infinity Wars will have no X-Men, that means whoever is producing it is certain they can circumvent their relevance for Marvel fans. And they are so right that if you’re a super hero consumer yourself, you will still buy a ticket and will still cheer wether there’s a Wolverine ripping Thanos arms off or not. I know it’s not exclusively about the politics on the story (even because they can and do change that all the time), it’s not objective censoring, but it’s definitely about politics.

• HothMonster says:

Infinity Wars will have no X-men because Marvel/Disney doesn’t want to pay Fox any of their MCU profits to use those characters even if Fox would let them. It really is as simple as that. If Marvel can’t use those characters in their movies they are not going to license them for use in other products. They happily use x-men characters if Fox doesn’t have their hooks in them. It’s why they never use the word mutant for Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver and avoid any other reference to that other universe. Sony got smart and worked out a deal for Spiderman until Fox does the same Marvel is going to keep snubbing X-men wherever they can.

• automatic says:

Would you watch a Justice League movie without a Batman or a Super-Man? Then why is X-Men no longer essential in such an iconic story from the Marvel Universe? Maybe because the trend now is Marvel silly stuff and DC sober stuff? And that’s indeed all about marketing. Maybe we’d probably see a “homecoming-ed” version of X-Men were they on the same page as Spider-Man. Who knows?

5. Dewal says:

Seems pretty and a bit less stiff in the animations than the DC Fightygame.

But woaw, the characters talk a lot while fighting.

6. Transmit Him says:

Marvel guy’s totally right. How are kids expected to know who the X-Men are? They haven’t been in a film for, like, a whole year.

FeloniousMonk says:

My goodness, just the sounds alone are enough to give me some sort of a medical condition. I don’t remember most of the other big fighting games (Injustice is the most obvious example) having such an irritating audio layout. This is just grunt, grunt, grunt, stupid quip, grunt, grunt.

And yeah, I completely agree that the X-Men aren’t popular enough to make this roster. Move over Wolverine and make room for Haggar!

• cpt_freakout says:

I truly believe that MvC 2 was the best of the series so far. It was ridiculous without throwing three million sound effects at you at the same time (the soundtrack is one of the most hilarious things in videogames), it didn’t give a shit about balance, and it took a bit of skill to pull out good combos. In contrast, MvC 3 allows you to pull off huge combos by pressing two buttons, its ridiculousness can become annoying, and more than a few characters feel samey (because balance, and because combos can be pulled off with the same two buttons). Besides, MvC 2 had TWO Wolverines. TWO!!

• Jalan says:

Don’t take this as me saying MvC2 was bad (because it isn’t and I still love it) but you are really romanticizing its combo system a bit too much. The first time I played it (on Dreamcast!) it was far too easy to button mash into combos with a significant chunk of the unlocked roster and it was almost trivial to chain together hypers (especially with particular characters) that ran well into the triple digits for hits.

8. automatic says:

Btw, what is the guy from GTA doing in a super hero game with a chainsaw in his hand?

9. xsikal says:

A modern Marvel fan (as opposed to someone who just likes the movies) would definitely recognize this version of Gamora as it’s the one that’s been in the comics since the relaunch (and before the first GotG movie, for that matter).

Comment on this story