Mafia 3’s third story DLC now meddling with a cult

A kooky cult is now causing trouble in Mafia III [official site] with Sign of the Times, the third of its three big story DLCs. I’m told the Ensanglante are a blood-worshipping cult into drugs and human sacrifice, which sounds like a wild time. Sadly, Lincoln Clay is out to shut them down, investigating their crime scenes using new detective skills then, I imagine, shooting their faces off. The DLC also lets Lincoln rebuild his murdered dad’s bar, which is sweet. Given that Mafia III has gone down poorly, I’d expect this to be the last bit of it.

Here, meet this fun-loving cult:

To help track them, Lincoln gets investigative skills which sound similar to those in Condemned: Criminal Origins to me. 2K explain:

“There’s a mystery to solve with Lincoln searching for stray objects left behind, strange writing – you’ll even examine bodies for clues. By eyeballing the environment and using a blacklight flashlight to uncover hints, you’ll zero in on where The Ensanglante operate and what the hell their endgame is for New Bordeaux. At key points in this DLC, we have these investigation zones where you’ll methodically look for clues that reveal more of the truth… and it can quickly turn a corner where you’ll be dealing with cult members in tense firefights.”

As for fixing up the bar, 2K say:

“All the hard-earned cash earned from your side businesses and whatever you *ahem* get while on the streets can be put into refurbishing Sammy’s to its former glory. Rebuild the bar, get a new jukebox – put Sammy’s back together just like you remember it from the very beginning of the game. But you can also start adding more to it.

“Where it gets interesting is that as you need to hire more staff, you’ll start unlocking side missions. Help a drummer out of a jam and his band will perform at your club. Do a favor for someone and they’ll start working your bar.”

Why wasn’t that the goal of the game in the first place? Tch!

Sign of the Times is £7.99/9,99€/$9.99 on Steam. It also comes in the DLC season pass which costs £24.99/29,99€/$29.99.

1. racccoon says:

I’m a mafia fan & I still haven’t bought this game.

• sharpmath says:

I am a fan, I did, and I haven’t touched the game for almost a year.

• second_hand_virgin says:

It’s the worst entry in the franchise, made, probably, by people, who hated the first two games very much. It’s boring story_generic_hero_non-challenging_shoot-out_fest with zero atmosphere, unintentionaly stupid dialogues, nothing short of rape on the legacy of the first two games.

2. jeremyalexander says:

I’m a fan of the series and I thought this was a fantastic entry not only into the Mafia series, but into open world crime games. The atmosphere is fantastic, the story is really good, and while some of the missions could have used a little more variety, this is the first crime game where I actually feel like I’m building a crime syndicate and taking over territory and where I make decisions that actually matter. This is a sadly underrated game and the people that don’t play it are missing out. And let’s not also ignore the elephant in this room. A certain segment of the population was never going to touch this because it has an African American lead and that’s just a fact.

• Unclepauly says:

Really? Why did GTA:SA do so good then? The fact is this isn’t a Mafia game. They could have made it an offshoot of the Mafia series but Mafia III it is not. The gameplay is terrible and repetitive as well. It’s pretty bad that the original is more advanced than the third on top of it. There’s a comparison vid on youtube showing all of the ways the original outclasses the new one. It was just a very weak showing and not representative of it’s name.

• turth says:

Just an example: link to rpgcodex.net

That’s not even getting into how stupid the game’s Steam forum got after the reveal trailer came out. There were also people who didn’t like playing as CJ in San Andreas but, luckily, the game was actually good and was a huge hit.

Honestly, I thought Mafia 3 was a decent but heavily flawed game. However, I do think that there were certain segments of the gaming community who were never going to give this game a chance the moment Lincoln Clay was revealed.

• Zenicetus says:

The black protagonist wouldn’t have mattered if the game mechanics hadn’t been so awful.

The faux-New Orleans atmosphere and the music was pretty good. But everything else about it was terrible (for me, anyway). There was an incredibly lazy re-use of game locations. The combat turned into a repetitive stealth-whistle-stab rinse and repeat that just wasn’t fun. I bailed out soon after the amusement park scene fairly early, but I doubt the game gets much better after that.