Planet Coaster DLC adds Munsters, BTTF, Knight Rider

The first licensed rides have arrived in theme park-builder Planet Coaster [official site], and they’re certainly not what I’d expected. The Munsters, Back to the Future, and Knight Rider have arrived with packs offering themed scenery pieces, special effects, and go-karts for £2 apiece. Heck yes I want people racing in DRAG-U-LA, a hot rod Dracula built around a coffin.

New stuff has arrived for free too. Alongside the DLC launches last week, Frontier Developments whopped out a patch whacking in a new ride and coasters for everyone.

The DLCs offer iconic vehicle as go-karts, pre-built scenery pieces, and as part-by-part ‘kitbash’ bits so you can build it as you please and re-use parts for other creations. Rounding the package out are signs and special effects, from bat confetti to flame trails.

They’re all on Steam for £1.99/2,99€/$2.99 each. Frontier sell them in their own store too.

All of these are licensed from Universal Studios. I wonder if we’ll see more of their theme park stuff. Rides at Universal Studios parks include Jaws, Jurassic Park, Shrek, The Simpsons, and of course Waterworld.

Friday also brought update 1.3.3, whacking in new things for free. The new ride, the Coriolis, lifts cars on arms and spins and tilts and whirls and is certainly a ride I would go on in a travelling fair. The new coaster, the Manic Mouse, puts people in a big plastic mouse to spin and hop as they go. Four new coaster blueprints are in too.

1. JackDinn says:

This massively hints at what their yet-to-be-announced game might be. Scheduled for 2018, and based on a well-loved film franchise. If the DLC suggests it’s a Universal franchise, then a Jurassic Park/World game looks almost a certainty.

2. MrSpandex says:

So many opportunities for a better header image

3. ColonelFlanders says:

I would have appreciated a little work going into actually making this game into a fucking game before they start fleecing us for pointless gubbins that split the workshop down the middle.

Losing my faith in Frontier. I used to be a fan of what they did, but they frankly haven’t done anything worth shouting ab9ut for years, and everything they have done has been cynical, overpromised moneygrabs.

• davethejuggler says:

I don’t know. They’ve released a ton of stuff for planet coaster for free. I am waiting till it’s a game as well before i go back to it though, but i honestly think they just have no idea how to do that.

I’m slightly worried that it’s beyond the point where you can crowbar in some meaningful management style gameplay though.

4. Gomer_Pyle says:

I didn’t think that anybody knew about the Munsters. Or is it something unrelated to the old TV show?

5. Wicked says:

They should also try removing Denuvo so it doesn’t run like garbage. Pirates cracked it a long time ago.

Comment on this story