Guild Wars 2 announcing second expansion next week

Almost five years since Guild Wars 2 [official site] launched and two years since the MMORPG’s first expansion kicked off, developers Arenanet are winding up a second. They’ve announced plans to announce the second GW2 expansion on August 1st. Yes, this is one of those irksome announcements of announcements but we have our own local Guild Wars mob in Rock, Paper, Signet so this is, as the youths say, “pertinent to our interests.”

As ArenaNet detail, the announcement will be livestreamed on Twitch and YouTube. The announcement will come at 5pm (9am Pacific) on Tuesday, August 1st.

A chain of supposed leaks over months have suggested that the expansion might be off to the Crystal Desert and areas from the first game’s Nightfall expansion. Those pics also showed raptor mounts. But they aren’t verified, and could’ve been from anything, or could’ve been from an abandoned version, or… don’t take ’em as gospel, yeah?

What would you like from the second expansion, gang? I’d mostly stopped playing Guild Wars by the time Nightfall came out so I would like to see its North African lands rendered in swish modern sequel-o-vision.

Oh, and if you’ve not played Guild Wars 2 at all, do know that it is free to play the base game these days.

elvirais says:

I really loved Guild Wars 2 but it took so long for them to finally release one expansion, by that time I was completely burned out off the game.

• bigpilgrim says:

I kinda felt the same way, just not into it enough to buy that first expansion…but perhaps they’ve waited long enough to kinda wrap back around and grab me again? I did end up reinstalling earlier this month on a whim…

• ReluctantlyHuman says:

I think their intention is to provide previous expansions with each new release, so if you waited for the new one to come out, you will likely be able to get Heart of Thorns as well. I quite liked HoT, but I’ve been someone who comes back to the game a lot, even with as much as I leave to try out other games every once in awhile.

2. Ghostwise says:

FWIW I’ve just reinstalled GW1, and with some ReShade tinkering and Nvidia Inspector ticking-of-boxes it looks okay. As long as you don’t zoom too close to the textures, of course.

weregamer says:

Heart of Thorns was a mixed bag for me and my regular crew. The new stuff was great, but somewhere along the way they forgot the secret sauce that made GW2 great: It was fun for anybody to play, in any mood, with or without their friends. The expansion zones were just too unfriendly if you weren’t in a party or a zerg, and replaced the feeling of free-form, self-driven exploration when in that mood with required hoop-jumping to get to zone goals.

I am really heartened by the latest Living World season and post-expansion content, though. They brought back the wider options for play styles, and took a fresh look at the original game’s stuff like Renown Hearts to make them better for people who play a lot.

So I have high hopes for this upcoming expansion again, after almost dropping out.

• aepervius says:

I keep bouncing off at level 40 – 50 , the longest I played was ranger level 57. I have no idea why , the first area are incredible … Then I somehow get tired.

elvirais says:

That’s true. You couldn’t easily walk around anymore by yourself. Which was a problem because on some hours those zones were pretty empty. And you can’t defend a point by yourself, though it was fun to try sometimes.

I liked the new level design though, very beautiful.

• FriendlyFire says:

Absolutely this. I was somewhat underwhelmed by the HoT zones because navigation was a pain, the maps were unhelpful, and as an ele main I was just getting torched everywhere I went because apparently every enemy has to at least be a Veteran now.

The LS3 zones were a breath of fresh air. Much more compact, more focused, more varied, much more accessible through better spread of enemy difficulties. I really hope the new expansion is more of that.

• nimbulan says:

The expansion made me quit the game because of this. Fighting normal enemies in the expansion zones was like fighting champion mobs in the original areas. They completely threw out the “have fun doing whatever” design philosophy and forced you to endlessly grind event chains against these incredibly annoying to fight enemies for map-specific currencies. Game performance was worse than ever and I doubt I’d be able to find my way around those maps even if I’d been playing this whole time. Then the icing on the cake was them massively nerfing rewards for all the old content, making WvW crash-happy again, and then the final straw was when they made it cost a minimum of 800 gold to complete the meta-achievement for the winter festival.

GW2 WAS the only worthwhile MMO I have ever encountered. Now it’s just like the rest.

4. SaintAn says:

Are there people that still haven’t learned their lesson not to play GW2? I mean, I guess since this is a game for young children that they probably enjoy it since their minds aren’t developed, but I can’t imagine anyone actually old enough to have money to put into their scams would be playing anymore.

5. aliksy says:

I enjoy the game, though I’m not sure what I really want from it. I don’t like chasing loot, PvP is hit or miss, and group content usually devolves into people yelling about being optimal.

I liked some of the HoT maps. Dragon’s Stand was a lot of fun when you actually got into a full map. I don’t know what they plan to do when there’s just not enough players to popular any maps.

• FriendlyFire says:

They’ve already shown what they do when there’s not enough population: global timers people can see outside the game, dynamic adjustment of the number of instances, and the LFG window.

Between all of those, all meta events are always sufficiently full to complete without stretching yourself too hard. Just join a meta event group at the start and switch to their instance.

6. BaronKreight says:

BTW Neverwinter has just got another new mod. One would expect this to be in the news but no.

• MisterFurious says:

Why don’t you just send RPS a list of games you play so that they’ll make sure to cover them all and make you happy.

7. khaoselement says:

You know what I miss from Guild Wars? Party building. World of Guild Wars is a lot of fun, don’t get me wrong. I played it a LOT, but it’s just not the same. I loved fine tuning the builds of my heroes, or matching up with friends to do some shenanigans. I miss the first game a lot.

I wish they’d look at finding a way to bring that back a little, somehow. I know they can’t, I know adding some sort of AI player to everybody (Like the originally planned if you dig WWAAYY back to when GW2 was first announced) would break the game as it is.

But holy crap would I ever come running back with a quickness.

MonkeyMonster says:

So I don’t recognise many of the names on here that have said they’ve played before – but you’re all more than welcome to Rock Paper Signet. There’s always a few of us online doing stuff and ready and willing to come with/help out/chat etc. Come on in and say hello.
    ps – we’re very heavy presenced on RPS Discord, so come say ello there too.

9. Rince says:

I tried to come back to Guild Wars 2 the last week, but not having HoT I felt very lost and lonely.
    In the low level areas used to be people doing event and fighting or train farming the bosses. Now, it’s pretty empty.

• equatorian says:

I was playing in the low level areas and mine was reasonably full. Not like it was in 2014, but there were still plenty of people doing events and fighting champions.

(Although the Queensdale champ train was nerfed, so there’s that.)

Not sure what megaservers threw at you….

10. Imperialist says:

Eh.
    I liked GW2 when it came out, for a time. But i felt like nearly everything about it fell just short of the mark. No holy trinity, the events instead of quests, little vertical progression…these ideas seem great on paper. But without defined combat roles, basically any group endeavor turns into a big formless mob, spewing out ridiculous amounts of spell effects, and without any real quest context, most content felt like a series of random minigames than real quests or storylines. No real progression (until HoT) kinda killed the RPG itch i wanted to scratch.

Also, the WvW was, and remains an utterly half-baked attempt at copying DAOC and Warhammer Online’s far superior RvR system. Still…theres some appeal in GW2. I await the xpac’s announcement with curious trepidation.

Comment on this story