LawBreakers open beta back once again with the ill behaviour

Cliff Bleszinski and his Boss Key Productions are holding another open beta test for their gravity-bending multiplayer FPS LawBreakers [official site] this weekend. It’ll start Friday then run until Monday, and you can prepare by preloading the client now. The last beta was one month ago and the game will launch in a fortnight, so this is a chance to see basically what it’ll be like. Changes since the last beta include a sandbox tutorial mode, balance tweaks, matchmaking improvements, and all the character customisation doodads.

Swing on by Steam and you can get the 15GB download rolling now. This weekend’s beta will begin on Friday at 3pm (7am Pacific) then end on Monday at 3pm (same).

Check out the patch notes for all that’s changed with this beta build. The matchmaking shakeup sounds important, at least.

“Queue times at low and high tier MMR (matchmaking skill rating) or in certain regions could be too long”, Boss Key say of the last beta, and “Matches were often unbalanced”. Yup, those sound like problems for a multiplayer shooter. So matchmaking queues will slowly expand their boundaries as time passes, and matchmaking ratings will take into account individual skill rather than simply a player’s team wins and loses.

I didn’t play in the last beta because I was on holiday, probably either in bed or near some water, and the last official RPS time with LawBreakers was long ago. So tell me: how was it? Will you return to break the law once more?

Possibly still one of the best music videos, that.

phuzz says:

The headline got this tune stuck in my head:
    link to youtu.be

distantlurker says:

It got me wondering what a ‘D4 damager’ is. Perhaps wildchild was really into D&D?

• poliovaccine says:

Hahah it’s “D for Damager,” like Dial M for Monkey… tho I like your explanation, haha.

There’s a word for that type of lyrics messup actually – they’re called “mondegreens.” Refers to some joke where the one guy wants to hear the song about Lady Mondegreen and no one can tell what he means cus they only know the song about the dead soldier where they “laid him on the green.”

Anyway, now you know! One more of life’s nagging mysteries: solved.

• Axyl says:

I literally logged in to post this same comment. Beat me to it. haha :D

Such a crackin’ tune, for it’s era at least. :D

• poliovaccine says:

Duuuude have I got an anecdote for that..

So maybe the third CD I ever bought w my own money was Fatboy Slim’s Greatest Remixes, and the copy I got was pretty fucking distinctive to me. Not only was it a cherished childhood possession whose DNA I probably assimilated from so much loving handling, but also there was someone’s sharpie scribbles on the liner notes inside the plastic-sealed, unused copy somehow, and they were just scribbles but they were distinctive – and just for good measure, the inside of the case was broken in that classic way where the little raised bits in the middle had snapped off and so the CD just slides around in there instead of being held in place. Would have made more sense if it was for sale as a used CD but whatever, that’s not the story.

I was born in 1989. I was like 10 or 11 when I got that CD, at a Sam Goody’s in Oregon, and then my family moved across the country to New England and when I was 15 or 16 I sold Fatboy Slim’s Greatest Remixes to the local record store for weed money, I remember distinctly. I had a computer, an ipod, a portable hard drive – I could afford to let my physical CDs go.

Skip ahead another few years, I go to NYC for college, I am 22 years old when I walk into some stray ass record store, a basement place in lower Manhattan like there’s a ton of around there, and for some reason I skipped past the whole upstairs and beelined to the basement – and there, from the doorway, I could see Fatboy Slim’s Greatest Remixes perched on top of a heaping central bargain bin. And I swear to fuck I somehow knew it was my copy before I even approached it – I just crossed the room and reached out with this sense of goofy ass wonder and picked it up, felt the CD slide in the case, flipped it open and sure enough, there were the inimitable sharpie scribbles. It was a trip haha. Bought it back for $2 but I lost it again… for now.

2. WhiteHawke says:

I loved the game when playing it in the last beta. A real anachronism in today’s shooter mechanics, I hope for the best for this one (and expect something else…).

3. NailBombed says:

Breaking The Law? Washin’ The Dog!

4. zauberkraut says:

I really wonder if there is a market for yet another high skill ceiling online FPS?

5. PiiSmith says:

I smell some serious balance issues. The fastest characters also seem to deal the most damage with their melee attacks.

Blitzball is not really working. The “goal” is so close to the ball spawn, that the faster characters can get there in less time than it takes to unlock the ball. It is basically impossible to defend against a player, who knows what he does.

For me it is a no buy at the moment. I rather play Quake Champions or Paladins at the moment. Also both are Free to Play, which would be the only business model to bring me back to play a bit of Lawbreakers.

Comment on this story