Podcast: The Electronic Wireless Show talks Pyre,
Dream Daddy, and horror

Podcast hosts Brendan, Pip and Adam

What’s that unsettling white noise coming from the other room? Oh no, it’s the 10th episode of the RPS podcast, the Electronic Wireless Show. This week, the gang are talking about horror in games (but not necessarily “horror games”). Adam and Brendan are terrified by the depths of Subnautica, which doesn’t frighten Pip in the slightest.

But we also like playing non-scary things. Brendan has been competing in the purgatorial fantasy sport of Pyre, and Adam has been catching fish and watching tranquil sunsets in Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles. Meanwhile, Pip has been dating dads in the gay suburban utopia of Dream Daddy. There’s also reader questions, in which we return to the subject of horror, and experience the shrill scream of a truly terrifying beast…

You can listen above, or go straight to Soundcloud where you can download it for later.

You can also get the RSS feed here or find it on iTunes, Stitcher or Pocket Casts. Non-scary music is by Jack de Quidt.

Want to write in with questions for a future episode? Now you can, to podcast@rockpapershotgun.com.

Links:

The 25 best horror games on PC

Subnautica is secretly a brilliant horror game

How do Alien Isolation’s lockers work?

Outlast 2 review

Pyre’s release trailer

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles review

Adam’s wandering through Yonder

Pip is the new Dream Daddy in town

The terrifying “eagle” of text adventure Radical Castle

1. Vandelay says:

I recall in my youth very much enjoying Batman: The Movie on the Amiga. It was one of those brutally hard games that only had about 4 or 5 levels, but that I never saw the end of (and, as youngsters often do, I tried many times.) This always proved a slight issue, as failure was always accompanied by a large image of a 16-bit Joker and the sound effect of him cackling. It sounded very real and terrifying to me at the time, but I have no doubt sounded about as scary as the bird played in the podcast. I would have to run out of the room or bury my head in a pillow before he appeared and get someone to click through it before having another go. Funnily enough, modern Batman games seem to have carried on this tradition with its villains berating Batman on his failure. Fortunately, adult me is able to be a big boy during those ones.

As for Subnautica, I have to ask Pip whether she has played it in VR? I picked it up with my new Vive and I have barely been able to venture much beyond the mouths of the caves before scurrying away. It manages to be both beautiful and terrifying all at once, particularly at night, with fish and coral glowing in the murky depths. It is still needing a bit of work done on it, particularly the UI, but I recommend anyone that has a VR headset to give it a go (maybe Brendon and Adam should stay away though.)

Adam Smith says:

Pip kept suggesting I play Narcosis in VR because she likes to see me suffer.

link to rockpapershotgun.com

Grizzly says:

I remember as a kid being utterly terrified of Rayman 2: The Great Escape’s The Cave of Bad Dreams. Particularely, the beholder-esque boss…

4. skyturnedred says:

I have to drive 160 km each week to cut my grandparents’ lawn, I save these podcasts to make the mowing more pleasant. Cheers!

magnificent octopus says:

The oddest game to frighten me was Gone Home. I spent a good part of the game convinced the ghost was real, and it was going to jump out at me. I hate having things jump out at me in games, so I was really tense for most of my playthrough. Really, the likelihood of me playing a game is closely tied to the odds of jump scares. I just about made it through the first Bioshock, but that was pretty much my limit for jump scares.

The sort of cosmic horror in things like the failbetter games that Pip mentioned, or Darkest Dungeon, which I’ve been playing a lot, on the other hand, I usually find entertaining.

• caff says:

I had the same thing with Gone Home. Luckily I hadn’t read any of the general internet’s (idiotic) comments before I played it, so I had no idea what I was going into.

What Remains of Edith Finch, a similar game, had a similar effect on me. I got freaked out generally by the whole thing. Looking back, it was a brilliantly told story but so many of the themes, and the feeling of claustrophobia navigating the tunnels within the house, reminded me of childhood that I felt a bit overwhelmed by it.

magnificent octopus says:

I have Edith Finch, but haven’t started yet, as I’m trying to finish some games before I start new ones. (I’ll probably fail at this, but it’s important to have goals). Claustrophobia and eerieness don’t usually bother me, so I’ll probably be fine. I’ve avoided reading about the plot, so I’ve got no idea what memories it might bring up.

6. caff says:

I agree with Adam’s comments on Yonder – it is a lovely little game, so chilled out. It’s like World of Warcraft without enemies and before all the other players arrived – pure empty escapism on a grand scale.

7. Josh W says:

In theme with this video, when Pip was telling her story about the silent hill walk, at some point my headphones had lost stereo without me noticing, then when Brendan spoke it kicked back in, giving the impression that someone had just walked up beside me to continue the conversation.

He wasn’t actually saying anything scary himself, but the result was a pretty effective jump scare.