Doomfist now deep into Overwatch

Doomfist is now fully, properly, really inside Overwatch [official site]. For ages the character has teased Blizzard’s FPS, with hints and traces and teasers buzzing past, as if he were waving his robofist in our face while repeating “Is this bugging you? I’m not touching you. Is this bugging you?” Earlier this month, he upgraded to “I’m just holding my fist here and if you walk into it that’s your fault” status by arriving on the test servers. And yesterday, Doomfist finally slammed into our faces, splitting our lips, splintering our teeth, tickling our tongues, and keeping on down into our guts. The patch officially adding the villainous new character to Overwatch is now live, I mean.

Doomfist is the leader of Naughty Boys, the rabble who want to kiss the Goodie-Goodies but instead pull their hair and push them off the payload.

His abilities revolve around his robofists. He packs knuckleguns, can slam the ground to draw people in, uppercut to fling them up, rocket punch to knock people back (taking bonus damage if they hit a wall – a nice touch), and jump up then leap down as a human meteor. That’s a pretty great set of thematic abilities for someone named Doomfist. I am impressed. A wide range of moves sharing similar ideas and all powered by forms of punch.

The update adding Doomfist also boshed in the ability to directly export highlight video clips, as well as to manually capture your own highlights. It also tweaked balance, fixed bugs, and so on.

Read the patch notes for full details on everything.

1. Spakkenkhrist says:

Doomfist really sounds like a second rate metal band.

2. Zorgulon says:

Inevitably there were some major server hiccups last night, but when I finally got in it was fun to finally have him in-game.

I didn’t actually play as Mr Fist of course, as insta-locking won’t let that happen in Quickplay for at least a couple of days. But his punch-you-into-a-wall for an all-but-instakill ability really forces you to consider your position in a new way. He’s going to take some getting used to.

Don Reba says:

Let the fisting begin!

4. int says:

Now how deep are we talking? All the way to the duodenum?

5. Freud says:

Who overwatches the overwatch men?

6. bob22 says:

Having been playing a lot of Splatoon 2 recently I’m really struggling coming back to Overwatch. I still love the gameplay but the people! What a bunch of whiney unsportsmanlike degenerates. Unless you’re playing pretty seriously then the basic emote chats are more than enough, give us an off switch.

On topic Doomfist is fun – his shotgun blast is a lot more powerful than I expected and completely eliminates any movement disadvantage – although like Reinhardt in the right hands he’s plenty mobile enough.

• Beefenstein says:

I feel that DF is my most mobile hero. The horizontal distance he can cover with his slam is immense, and his rocket punch has such a short cool down you can use that to get around.

• bob22 says:

I was in one of the 6v6 Doomfist arcade matches and there was some kind of genius flying around like he was wearing a jetback. When you get the cooldowns into your muscle memory, and you’re good, then it’s crazy what can be done. See also Genji.

Comment on this story