Dark and Light update will fix army of bugs and add goblin clubs

Dark and Light

Early access sandbox MMORPG Dark and Light [official site] stormed the Steam charts when it launched last week, with users enticed by its dragon battles, pretty graphics and free form base-building. But the reviews on Steam have been mixed so far, with the negative ones criticising the army of bugs, like one that randomly spawns your character in lava. A bit of an inconvenience, that.

In response, developers Snail Games have detailed a huge patch (“upcoming”, with no date yet) to purge the problems, and detailed some new features that are coming to the game. They have plenty to say about optimisation and bug fixes, which you can read all about in the patch notes – that lava bug is fixed along with dozens of others. The new stuff includes goblin clubs (the smacky thinks, not the dancing ones), hidden Dark Altars on which you craft powerful items, and a new Soul Node system that means you can create respawn and fast travel points for other players in your faction.

If you haven’t heard much about the game before, then it’s the kind of thing that’s a bit overwhelming to read about for the first time.

“Dark and Light is a vast sandbox survival RPG set in a world dominated by powerful elemental forces. Find your way in a meticulously crafted world, featuring breathtaking landscapes, a wide variety of mythical creatures, and limitless possibility to craft, build, and unlock dozens of powerful weapons and spells.

“As a lone explorer in the wilderness, you must learn to understand the terrain, natural resources, as well as how to domesticate the local creatures and build a home. You will need to harness and control the magical energy that courses through the planet, or you risk being consumed by the looming darkness that permeates throughout the planet.”

Once you break it down into its component parts, though, it’s got the same loops you’ve played through a hundred times: stock up on resources during the day and hide and night when the nasty things come out. You’ll be managing your hunger and thirst, building underground bases or mountaintop lookouts, and battling massive beasts (there’s a PvP mode, too).

Looking ahead to future updates, the developers say they plans to add a lot more weapons to the roster of bows, staffs and swords, as well as a revamped quest system. And, inevitably, it’ll get a whole lot more bug fixes as players continue reporting issues.

Dark and Light is currently £19.08/23,23€/$24.89 on Steam, which includes an oddly-specific 17% discount. If you’ve tried it out, let me know what you think.

Oh, and here’s the trailer, in case you need more of an idea of what it is:

1. Ghostwise says:

Well at least they didn’t say “visceral”, “authentic” or “grim”.

2. LearningToSmile says:

I’ve been look at some streams of this and Citadel: Forged with Fire recently, and I think I’m going to end up getting one of them when they’re a bit further along. I skipped all the survival building games so far(well, unless minecraft counts) so I’m thinking it’s time to give the genre a shot.

• Aetylus says:

I’ve been looking at the same… a post-WoW, post ark hybrid is generating a suitable itch.

The two communities seem to be hating on each other (see rant post below… there are similar reviews for both on Steam). It makes it pretty hard to figure out which bits of which game are good so I can see which suits my particular inclinations.

RPS, how about some deep investigative journalism into how the various new breed MMO’s compare? Pleeeeease.

• LexW1 says:

They’re currently so early the best option is just to say “Non” to the lot of them, and I’m not sure reviews would help with that. But in a few months, then it would definitely make sense.

None of them are really MMOs in the sense that EQ and WoW and so on are though. Dark and Light doesn’t even claim to be – it’s running on the ARK engine and thus has similar player limits to ARK. Citadel and Conan both have pretty low limits on the number of people who can be in a zone, as I understand it, but are a little more MMO-like.

I’m excited, personally, because as dubious as these examples are, they’re a move towards what I’ve always wanted – an MMO-like game just for me and people I like. You can already run your own Dark and Light server, and thus effectively have an MMO-ish game without any of the jerks. If an AAA developer could manage the same thing, well… (And yeah arguably Conan is AAA, but I don’t think that allows private servers and so on).

RE: D&L vs C:FwF, the main differences are that D&L is an actual survival game (i.e. you require food, shelter, etc.) and not trying to be an MMO, and is mechanically complex, whereas C:FwF is more of a “faction war” game with some building, rather more developed/finished (though still VERY early), and far more mechanically simple – basically everyone is a Harry Potter-esque wizard, like it or not, with very limited choice on what attributes etc. to develop.

3. Freud says:

Snail Games with a quick fix.

4. Fiatil says:

As someone who followed the development of the original Dark and Light, this game’s existence is insane to me. Why would you reboot or rebrand a game that is very accurately summed up with the wikipedia opening blurb of:

“Dark and Light was a pay to play fantasy MMORPG developed in Reunion Island by NPCube and published by Farlan Entertainment. It was released on June 6, 2006, to largely negative reviews. Though there was never an official announcement regarding discontinuation of service, the servers have been offline since 2008, ostensibly due to a lawsuit by VWORLD, LLC.”

It was one of the worst games ever made. This game looks entirely different, and maybe actually fun? I’m just bemused by the naming.

5. Buuurr says:

Is it just me or does anyone else see Geralt with a staff on the first picture with the dragon?

6. Krevin says:

Whomever wrote this… Do some research, this is not an MMORPG stop calling it an MMORPG. You can literally search steam and find that the Devs too even say they do not consider this to be an MMORPG.

7. racccoon says:

Naa this game lost its RESPECT from its crappy launching cash cow approach, its a major problem with Early access.
    99% percent are rubbish and should grab your REFUND!

The best game is this area is..”Citadel Forged with Fire”!

Now this game launched with amazing abilities to play in the pay to test early access crappy system.
    It wins hands down as AWESOME!

So forget this stupid game Dark n’ Light. They just want your money & are not able to work on fix’s fast enough + WHY should we have to pay to play for a crappy game that can not even test its own game properly before so called early access bullshit launching.
    I had had, over 8 early access RETURNS in a ROW before finding this fantastic game
    CITADEL FORGED WITH FIRE
    Go get it….its brilliant.

8. HoboDragon says:

As mentioned above: it’s not an MMO, not even the devs claim it (the old D&L was supposed to be one)
    That aside, it was a crappy launch, and while it’s gotten better, it’s still has its problems. But I see it as “Early Access” no matter how much better other EAs might have been. Doesn’t mean I play a lot, I dabble more and wait until it’s better.

And btw – I think most of (incl me) just don’t know enough about (online) game development. They claim that they are currently adding 18 servers a day – that’s a lot of hardware and money for not knowing if people will stay or not. Reminds me of Conan, I think they didn’t survive the initial “storm” without some additional servers. It’s a world I wouldn’t want to live of…

9. TXinTXe says:

Weren’t snail games the ones that “secretly” bought wildcard games?

• SexyHomie says:

Yep, that’s them. There are few articles about it if you google them up. I knew that company ringed the bell when I heard that. Apparently Wildcard helped to develop Dark and Light a bit aswell.
      Both games looks pretty, but that’s pretty much it.
      I am actually surprised there are still people blindly jumping into another pretty looking EA survival game.
      Oh well.. I will just wait few months before initial hype dies, and then we will see another great downfall of another game with “HUGE POTENTIAL”.
      Cmon, it’s not even funny anymore.

10. Camway says:

Well from playing Ark and DnL I can tell you basiclly DnL is an early port from ark and since ark is still not optimized well and is a bunch of different blueprins bought off of UE4 and bandaged together I dont have a lot of hope for DnL to get any better than ark. DnL has spell systems bought off the UE4 marketplace which why do the work if someone else already has but it is one of the reasons for the bad optimization they have parts from lots of other developers and are trying to bandage them together. I feel this game may be a money run and nothing more. I hope im wrong and they get it figured out becasue the concept is awsome but the game its borroing from, Ark still has to many issues and terrible server lag after years of testing so I am not going to get my hopes up for this game. For those that dont know snail games owns ark. Do your own research on snail games and decide for yourself if they are the typical chinese game company that is just trying to do a money grab or if they are genuinely serious about their games and just are not that experienced hell square enix has been struggling to make games so do your research form your own opinion.

11. Danarchist says:

This was the first game I actually bothered getting a refund for. I just really hate the Ark style of game for some reason. I think its the fact my character requires ten times more food than my RL fat ass. It was like someone decided to emphasize the most annoying parts of every survival game, and a bunch of people were like “Constantly eating and freezing? More of that please, I hate myself!”

Comment on this story