What are we all playing this weekend?

Back when I worked for a multiplatform site, folks used to talk about “the summer lull”. These wonderful months were a period to be dreaded, a period when few games are released and there’s little to play. It’s quite nice I can now be entirely oblivious of any supposed lull, with a bazigillion games out on PC all the time and so very, very many good ones always to catch up on. Not one single game could be released for a year and I’d hardly notice. Really though: it’s summer, go outside.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: Tyranny. It passed me by at release, because who has time to play these big RPGs (?), but every press trip I’ve been on recently has ended at a table in a bar where people talk about how great it is. And it sounds so much weirder than I expected it to be. I’m hoping to see something of the expansion at Gamescom next month so now is the perfect time to prepare myself.
Alec: Stuff and things will see me called away from my PC for most of the weekend, but I just bought a new telling-bone which hopefully does not have battery life quite as pitiful as my old one’s – in which case I plan to while away various waiting room hours with mobile versions Lara Croft Go and Sorcery 3, both of which I own on PC but have yet to play. So it’s only half a sin.
Alice: This is the final weekend before the Edinburgh Festival Fringe starts, bringing with it literally thousands of shows and even more tourists. I’ll use these last free days to do things that’ll be impossible during the following month – anything going anywhere past, through, or remotely near the city centre, venues, or attractions. That’ll rule out the garden centre (and its butterfly house!) so I’d better make the most of it. And I’m playing Plunkbat and Isaac, obvs.
Brendan: I could play something for work purposes. Like magic-blaster Citadel: Forged With Fire or zombie-stopper Fortnite. I need to write about those. Or I could run around some more in persistent multiplayer war game Foxhole. Last night I joined a group of engineers and we roamed the map in a truck, building walls and supplying the front with metal. I felt like part of a big, fighty machine.
Graham: I’m midway through a house move, which means I’m living in the ruins of my life. Half my stuff is already in a van somewhere, the other half is either in boxes or looking nervously at boxes. My computer remains however, and so I’ll try to sneak in a few games of Playerunknown’s Plunkbat and I may – may – finally get round to starting on Edith Finch.
John: I really want to take a look at The Darkside Detective, but I realise that much more likely is having to build a shed. I’d also like to spend some time playing Immortal Planet, to see if it’s any good, but I have to host a bbq. The forecast for this weekend is non-stop rain.
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing Subnautica. I might also visit the seaside. If there’s time I might try to fit in a spot of livestreaming some sailors.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Aetylus says:

Firing up some old favourites… so a mix of Transport Fever and Civ 6. Plus a good chunk of time in turn based online team fights in Atlas Reactor.

2. Herzog says:

Rising Storm 2
    I love the sapper class for the Vietcong. Laying mines in territory or supremacy. Favorite maps are Cu Chi and AnLao Valley. After 35 hours I can also finally start to turn around my atrocious K/D ratio.

Also a new content patch since yesterday which enables three maps to be played in different modes.

Maybe a round or two in duo or squad mode in Plunkbat.

3. Minglefingler says:

Ratchet and Clank. After a few months of very little but Bloodborne and Dark Souls I wanted something a bit lighter and I’m really having fun with it. I did however start my first game of Darkest Dungeon last night and can see myself getting dragged into that, so no doubt I’ll be wallowing in misery again soon.
    Tyranny was probably my favourite RPG of last year, hope you enjoy it as much as I did Adam!

• Unsheep says:

Reg. Tyranny, I completely agree. It’s a shame it didn’t do better commercially, although that is perhaps to be expected for an RPG that tries to be original and different. And I guess the mainstream had its fill of old-school RPGs after Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin.

Sure, Tyranny is not the first recent RPG to explore the darker side, as Age of Decadence and Inquisitor did that a few years before Tyranny came out, but I think Tyranny has its own unqiue take on it.

• malkav11 says:

People have had various explanations but my guess about Tyranny’s lackluster performance is simply this: most people (inexplicably, IMO) don’t want to play the bad guy in their gaming. Games with a “good” path and an “evil” path see like 80%+ of people going down the good path, at least as a first playthrough and often exclusively. Now map that tendency onto a game that’s advertised as having only “evil” paths. Voila. I’m glad they made it anyway.

• davethejuggler says:

There have also been some less than glowing words written about it, including here. Not necessarily saying that it’s bad, but definitely not words to encourage me to play it.

• Minglefingler says:

That’s a fair point, John’s review definitely put me off buying it for a while but I’m very glad I eventually did. It’s not going to be for everyone but I’d say that if you like wordy RPGs with an interesting setting then it’s worth a look. I preferred the setting and story to Pillars. I know this is controversial but the combat was more enjoyable than that of Pillars, I’m increasingly finding combat in a lot of RPGs to be a chore so the fact that there was less and it was somewhat simplified was a bonus for me.

4. Bobsy says:

Well, probably more Starbound, interspersed with Overwatch if ever the Doomfist slot becomes available.

I am enjoying Starbound, although there are big glaring areas for improvement. I’ve reached the point where I’ve built the 3D printer device and it all seems a little bit of a cop-out. Why can I not make these through regular crafting?

Plus I have a small farm outside my mansion now and I absolutely adore my little Mooshis. They’re the sweetest beasts.

5. Deepo says:

The Surge! Wasn’t really interested in it, but I tried the demo, and now I’m hooked.

6. dangermouse76 says:

Streets of Rogue is coming along nicely, so that to start hopefully. Also just reached game breaking strength for two handed weapons in Skyrim so hmmm new character ?

Two handed no magic – Done
    Sneaky bowman – Done
    All the Mage destruction – Done
    All Mage Rage and Frenzy – Done
    Light armour sword no magic – Done

So any good builds out there I could try, something a bit unusual maybe ?

• Pich says:

get these mods and play a fisticuff mage! link to nexusmods.com?
      link to nexusmods.com?

the fisrt one is more based on buffing unarmed damage, while the other is straight up magic kung-fu.

• dangermouse76 says:

Nice. I’ve never tried a total melee build. I wonder if you can get through the whole game on melee alone.
        Maybe melee and shouts !
        That mod looks pretty funny actually, roundhouse kicking an animal in the head is appealing.

• poliovaccine says:

SO glad to see this great little game get some love! I like to imagine it’s what happens to you after you beat The Escapists. First got interested when I saw it on this site, and it didnt disappoint. Dropped off for awhile but randomly returned, and whether they’ve updated content or I’ve just found more I cant remember, but dont much care, since I’ve gotten right back into playing it, but with some totally different tactics than before (I cant believe it took me this long to try some other character than the Slum Dweller!).

In a way it’s more of my go-to these days for a Deus Ex-like than Deus Ex itself. Speaking of which: EVERY cyberpunk and/or stealth game must now include the ability to drug any given building’s air filtration system. Imagine the gas simulation of Oxygen Not Included combined with that trick! Not that Streets of Rogue needs that really, it’s pretty well layered as it is.

Anyway, yeah, not sure if it’s just the planets aligning or what, but I too am playing Streets of Rogue, obviously. This game makes building a dynamic, emergent sandbox of fighting, hacking and stealth seem *so easy!* If only Square Enix had these instincts.

• dangermouse76 says:

I have been missing some decent co-op action. This really scratches that itch.

I’m looking forward to evermore dynamic set ups for dealing with rooms and people.

7. Unsheep says:

It’s all about racing games, as per usual come the Weekend.

Formula RaceRoom’s X-17. A custom Championship in their version of Formula One cars. A really nice car to drive around in. They’ve also been adding a fair number of Swedish tracks to the game, which is awesome, since it’s so unique.

WRC 6. Currently in the WRC 2 class in my Career mode, doing OK. It’s funny how I manage to suck at every Finnish stage regardless of rally game, and how I manage to do really well in snowy/icy stages like Sweden, regardless of rally game.

Automobilista, continuing a Brazilian Stockcar Championship. This weekend I’ll probably just work on setting the car right. It takes quite a lot of time, tweaking things.

MotogGP 17. Continuing my Management Career mode, I opted for the Peugeot since I felt like trying something new and experimental. They really managed to set the difficulty correctly in this iteration, where ‘medium’ feels like ‘medium’ and ‘hard’ feels like ‘hard’.

If time permits I’ll play some: Ride 2, Sebastien Loeb Rally, and MXGP 3 (which got some new DLC tracks recently), or perhaps some Euro Truck 2 and American Truck simulator.

8. obscured says:

Finishing the campaign in Dawn of War3 and more battle grounds.

9. Pich says:

Still playing Tales Of Berseria, the gameplay can become a chore, but the story just hit a very nice plot twist so i’m hooked.

10. LearningToSmile says:

On the fence about buying PUBG. I wouldn’t usually buy another multiplayer shooter when I’m still playing one(OW), but the pacing of PUBG is so much different it seems like a nice game for a change of pace.

• Umama says:

I play both. They definitely have a different feel so it is nice rotate between them.

11. kelmorg says:

I’m going to have another crack at Dragons Dogma:Dark Arisen.I played 20 hours a year ago and bounced off it.

Grizzly says:

So after playing around in Mass Effect Andromeda I have left that aside – for some reason – to check out some Stalker mods instead. Not to say that Mass Effect Andromeda is a bad game – it’s definitely good, but once again I found myself wandering into the Zone…

Stalker: Call of Chernobyl, a standalone mod that requires Call of Pripyat installed, is to me a really good execution of the concept of Stalker. At first, the notion turned me off: All the maps of the Stalker games plus a few extra, crammed into one mega-game? Isn’t that a typical example of a Stalker mod trying to do too much at once? Am I not better trying out Autumn Aurora or Lost Alpha? But it caught me. Simply replaying Shadow of Chernobyl + a bit of Clear Sky with the Call of Pripyat engine is quite a lot of fun. The game is light on plot, an optional story mode is present but it’s lightweight, instead preferring to let the A-Life and the enviroments do their thing. It’s great for listening to podcasts or just relaxing.

There’s also a mode that, upon death, transfers you into another stalker somewhere in the zone whilst preserving the game world, which is a rad idea. In execution it sometimes falters, as some of the factions you can spawn as – such as the Monolith – are not as interesting to play, and random really is random: Sometimes you find yourself inhabiting the top ranked stalker in the zone, or you find yourself in a place where the AI can go but you can’t because some enviromental effects do not affect the AI.

Simply starting the game as a loner in the Cordon and working your way up from there is still, for me, the definitive Stalker experience.

• Sin Vega says:

I hated the first stalker game, and enjoyed the third much more but gave up on it after reaching the point where only a colossal idiot would ever continue. In my head, the protagonist simply turned cashed in his comfortable profit of hardware and artifacts, told his bosses the last guy he was sent to find was dead, and went home. Fuck the Zone.

But the Shadow of Chernobyl mega mod is terrific, easily the most fun I’ve had with the series.

I tend to start out playing as a bandit, following and taking people out for profit. It’s a hard way to play and blocks off most of the jobs and shops, but is a fun challenge. The easy walk through beginner-friendly Cordon on the way to assassinate a guy in a neighbouring area suddenly becomes a long and harrowing stealth section with frequent unpredictable gunfights. And then you have to sneak around the suddenly very dangerous starter village (I favoured picking off a sentry as a decoy, then legging it round while everyone’s investigating).

The random jumping on death is one of the best ideas I’ve seen in a game for ages. The main downsides are that it’s instantaneous, so if you want to reload a game you often have to sit around waiting for it to load the new area first, and the sheer randomness of it messing you about sometimes, as you said. But on the upside, you can mitigate it a bit by recruiting mooks – you automatically jump into anyone following you first – and when it works it’s often great.

I once blundered with my two or three mooks into a rather nasty patrol of the Military faction. A rolling gunfight ensued, with everyone advancing and retreating between the partial cover of trees, and repeatedly losing track of where my guys were, unsure who was even left alive (so whether I had any more ‘lives’). A third group of bandits happened to show up too, making things more interesting, and putting me in a real dilemma when a flanking soldier took me out, and I immediately quantum leaped into the soldier standing behind him.

I had a go at the Call of Misery mod too, which supposedly turns it into a ‘hardcore’ survival experience, but what it actually does is add lots of fuck ugly textures, disgusting wheezing, slurping, and lip smacking sound effects, randomly spawning, impossibly fast, very tough instant kill mutants, and makes it so that you require tonnes of extra items just to tread water, all of which last for no time at all, and cost utterly idiotic amounts of money. The ideas are soud but the execution is abysmal.

• fish99 says:

Can I ask how much of the original Stalker SoC you played? I just find it a little odd that someone could hate one Stalker game and love another, when to me they are largely similar experiences (Call of Misery being the exception). Like when someone says they loved Oblivion but hated Skyrim, I always scratch my head because they are essentially the same game.

The first Stalker did have a very off-putting first few hours. Once you get through that though and get some decent weapons, the game is hugely fun with some great scary base sections, and the best story in the series.

• Sin Vega says:

I tried to play it several times over a few years, never got more than a few hours in because it was a broken mess. I got particularly tired of having the exact same fight with the exact same people every time I walked past an area, even as the friendly ones sat around chilling on top of a pile of their own dead clones. I liked the third one because it actually worked.

I tried all the overhaul mods too, most of them fixed one or the other issue but made the other even worse. It’s fine though, since the megamod basically incorporates the first game anyway, without all the bugs and useless stealth and controls designed for aliens.

• fish99 says:

All the Stalker games have respawning enemies. It only gets annoying at the bus stop and train yard in the Garbage and it’s not really any worse than the other games. In Clear Sky enemies respawn before you’ve even finished looting the ones you just killed. The same happens in Pripyat in some spots too.

Like I said once you get through the first few annoying hours, the experience is the same as playing any of the Stalker games, but with comfortably the best story.

• poliovaccine says:

I was just replaying some of Shadow of Chernobyl last night actually, alongside the RPS podcast no less (it IS a good podcast game, as many open-worlds are, and their topic for the podcast was horror elements in non-horror games, so naturally I went to STALKER for my “what I’m going to do with my hands while I otherwise actively listen” activity).

And that mod actually sounds awesome. The random respawn thing is cool, like solo multiplayer almost, but what I really want is to bring blowouts into ShoC. That and to keep the ShoC map where I feel most at home, combined with the ability to visit Skadovsk or whatever that beached ship is called, your first hub in CoP. I just like that better than the town in the Cordon, as far as being your little “home” or hub. The Cordon never felt like home in my whole time playing ShoC the way that ship did within the first hour or so of CoP. Probably helps there’s objectively more to do there, as well as there being a room and a chest that are decidedly *yours.* Yes I know the Cordon’s little town has a few stashes you can use as well, but something about hiding your crap up in the ruins of the fallen-through rafters just doesnt seem quite as “homey” as actually having a room to go to, call me crazy.

That sense of shelter goes really well with the blowouts too, and I realized I missed them in ShoC cus I liked having to scramble off and find shelter. I realized, playing w the podcast on last night, that I had been mentally noting potential blowout shelters in a game that doesnt even have them haha. So I might as well mod em in, since I’m already playing like they’re there, hah.

Incidentally, I picked STALKER to go with the theme of the podcast (as well as being a good podcast game in itself, obv) but what exactly makes STALKER *not* a horror game? While I wouldnt really call it one myself, I have a hard time articulating any reason beyond, “you just know it when you see it, that’s all.” Cus sure it’s got a weapon-strewn open world and some very lite RPG trappings, but calling it an FPS kind of undersells it, calling it an RPG is really stretching the definition, and I dont know if “open world” is really its own genre or not? That’s its own question altogether.

13. Ejia says:

I’ve been going through my space 4X backlog this past week. There are too many of them.

Lords of the Black Sun: Previously known as Star Lords, it’s a turn-based 4X. But it seems as though the dev did a cut-amd-run, because it looks and feels unfinished. Pity, as while it can get tedious I like having tactical ship battles I can control myself rarher than the card based system in Endless Space or the… whatever it is in GalCiv.

StarDrive: It’s the one with the space bears (they are samurai space bears, mind you) and was also abandoned by its devs, but so they could work on the sequel. At least there’s a lot more to this than the previous, and there is an active community modding in patches and gameplay changes. It’s fine, but has a small research tree and I am not fond of its real time with pause nature.

Horizon: Standard turn-based 4X. I don’t like the way research works here – instead of researching one thing at a time you’re researching everything at once, and can only temporarily focus attention on one tech so it eats 50% of your output.

Star Ruler: Another real time with pause game. The draw to this one is that you can just make bigger and bigger ships. Eventually I had starbases bigger than the entire galaxy – which still orbited the planet it was built at. The ships move rather slippery. If you just want to build big ships for shooting at things you can set the research speed to give you several techs per second.

14. Carra says:

I’m going through one of those big RPG’s right now that’s been in my backlog for years (I even kickstarted it). Playing Wasteland 2 and I’m really enjoying it so far.

15. Jekadu says:

Darkest Dungeon, Final Fantasy Type-O HD, Lara Croft Go. Possibly also some Secret World Legends and/or World of Warcraft.

16. PC Gamer Girl says:

Well, since it got removed from Steam, I figured I’d finish up House Party LOL

17. Nate Gallardo says:

I plunked a few bats this morning and I intend to plunk some more bats this afternoon. I’m mostly solo as my shared home-office isn’t super suitable for voice-chat, but hopefully I’ll be able to squeeze in some duos and squos.

18. Faldrath says:

Since I finished a big project this week, I rewarded myself by plugging in my steering wheel for the first time since January. So I’ll mostly be diving back into Automobilista and Dirt Rally! Whee!

There’ll also be some Dark Souls 3 (Ringed City is haaaaaaard, man!) and Wolfenstein: Old Blood. Funnily enough, I bought both Wolf and newDoom on the last sale and, while I haven’t played Doom much yet, I like Wolf much better. I think it’s because there’s no need to actually melee. While Doom turned it into an interesting system, I’m not sure I actually enjoy it… in FPS games, I’d much rather shoot things from afar than punch them (and make myself vulnerable in the process).

19. Ben King says:

More No Man’s Sky. It should come as no surprise that I’m cranky with it though- was about to wrap up the Atlas Path but happened not to have some arbitrary inventory as I initiated a dialogue tree. When I closed it thinking I could come back with my supplies the whole quest line was locked out. I know it’s vapid, but it’s still real pretty, and even if awkward design decisions cloud almost every facet of the game I still enjoy wandering around finding neat caves. Possibly more Witcher 3? Possibly Kholat? I love the no-map-marker thing in that game- reminds me of Miasmata (but way more linear) where you’ve got to be attentive to your compass and surroundings to keep your bearings. And a few more rounds of Hundred Rabbits’ DONSOL again.

20. Bongo_clive says:

RIMWORLD

This has sucked my life away the last few weeks. Astonishing game, and still only in Alpha.

Amazing

21. Serenegoose says:

I’m caught between getting further in Darkest Dungeon, getting further in Long War 2, or actually really starting Torment, after a false start last week.

22. Zorgulon says:

I’ll take advantage of this slightly soggy weekend to play around with and as Doomfist in Overwatch, and finish the new Civ 6 scenario. It’s quite good timing for sizeable chunks of new content.

23. fish99 says:

Not heavily into one game right now, rather I’m bouncing around between several.

I picked up the first Destiny (the Collection edition on PS4) which I’m finding very fun. Only level 10 so far but I’ll definitely be playing more. I guess I should invest in a few months of PS+ to do the strikes. I bought it so I wouldn’t be going into Destiny 2 PC completely blind.

Still playing Forza 6, up to the NASCAR campaign now. The game is supremely pretty and the physics are solid, but the AI is ridiculously aggressive, way too slow through fast corners, and as a result they’re not balanced well from track to track. One track you win by 0.5s, the next by half a lap :/

Also playing through Forza Horizon 2 and 3, and need to get back to Witcher 3.

24. malkav11 says:

My stupid arm is acting up so actual gaming is probably going to be minimal. I may get some multiplayer Borderlands 2 in (fingers crossed), or do some storyquesting in Final Fantasy XIV, which is becoming my go-to podcast listening game because although there’s a fair amount of quest narration it’s mostly unvoiced and the actual play outside dungeons is pretty uninvolved. Actually even in dungeons it’s not very involved so far, but that’s in significant part because I only have about three relevant spells at this stage of the game and the dungeons are low level enough that only one or two of the bosses per dungeon have more mechanics than just tank-n-spank. That will definitely change.

Nier: Automata is the other big one on the list but I will admit I’m a bit less enthusiastic about it at the moment than I was before. The first few hours are this dizzying series of wild ideas and then all of a sudden it’s just like “here, run back and forth across large sections of the game with no fast travel or shortcuts and do sidequests”. Bit whiplash-inducing.

• Hoot says:

NieR : Automata is so very worth persisting with. It took me around 45 hours to finish the game (endings A, B, C, D and E – don’t worry, it all becomes clear as you play on).

There’s a point a few hours in just before you have access to fast travel where it feels as if the walking back and forth and what not will go on forever, I experienced the same kind of feeling as you did, but please, bro, persist. It’s a wonderful game.

• malkav11 says:

Oh, I intend to. The first game was my favorite of that entire console generation and there’s enough neat stuff going on already that I want to find out more, but man, that’s a sudden and jarring downshift in pacing.

Also, I am glad to know there’s going to be fast travel. Because it’s really needed.

25. Horg says:

Mostly DotA 2 to get in the spirit for TI(?). After watching this video by DotA 2 casting / coaching / former pro player Blitz, i’ve been enjoying an abnormally high win rate, around 80% of games this week:

link to youtube.com

It’s a rewarding feeling to see the effects of your own movements dragging the enemy team around the map, letting them accomplish very little. Also the MMR number going up doesn’t hurt.

26. SBLux says:

Prey pray Prey pray Prey pray for Prey

27. RobbieTrout says:

I had a grand total of four hours’ sleep last night, so I might just end up playing Have A Nap, followed by its sequel Early Bedtime.

But if I can keep my eyes open and energy levels high enough, there are a few last achievements to mop up in Lego Pirates. It’s long gone past “extended playability fun” and is well into “obsessive completionism and self-loathing”, to the point where I’ll be delighted to see the back of it.

28. Morat Gurgeh says:

Filthy language round here, I’m sure, but Zelda on Switch with the mrs. I’ll be back to Total Warhammer when I have time in the week. Although Stellaris (from Humble Monthly) is calling my name…. the stack of shame is getting really bad. First world problems right?

29. Catterbatter says:

Playing “Which Wadjet Eye game should I get on sale from GOG?” and not doing too well so far.

• Faldrath says:

That’s because deep inside you know the only correct answer is “all of them”!

• Catterbatter says:

That is exactly how I feel. But I need to be reasonable. I got Gemini Rue because it keeps getting mentioned in the comments here, and Shardlight because I couldn’t resist the jacket copy.

• Guran says:

Personally I think Gemini Rue is overrated even if it’s still ok. If you absolutely want a scifi game I’d go for Technobabylon. But my favourite Wadjet titles so far are the Blackwell series, Resonance and The Shivah. Haven’t tried Shardlight yet though so can’t comment on that one!

30. Howl says:

Thanks for the Edith Finch mention. I had not heard of it and now 2 hours later I’m so glad I did.

• caff says:

It’s a superb game! It’s definitely going to be in my top 5 of this year.

Please Graham, play it and share a few of your thoughts with us.

31. RobX says:

Just got into Plunkbat myself. Still undecided if I like it or not. Anyway I’m squeezing that in between my daily Football Manager 2017 and Day of Infamy sessions for now.

32. Zenicetus says:

Total War Warhammer, still trying to get into this game for the sake of the very good mechanics, despite my aversion to the silly fantasy theme.

I’m abandoning my Dwarf campaign because they’re too static in combat (no cav? bah!). I’m now trying a VC campaign. I’m used to having ranged units in a TW game and these don’t have any, so I’ll have to adjust to using flyers instead. Should be interesting.

33. parsley says:

…no one’s been fired this week! Yay! I’m going to play Dream Daddy and explore the universe in Everything and also test out some of my new board games. Castles of Mad King Ludwig will probably go over the best with my friends.

34. geldonyetich says:

My odd drifting through the gaming of yesteryears has taken me to Dead Rising 2: Off The Record.

Oddly, Capcom has locked gamepad support to Xbox 360 Controllers and possibly Games For Windows. Lacking the former, and the latter being completely discontinued, there’s no way to do this. I tried an emulator for the 360 Controller, but no dice.

Similarly, the game refuses to be windowed, and has no ultrawide support, but hacks around that sort of work… well Frank was already a wide man, now he’s just really wide!

The game is playable enough on mouse and keyboard. I’m about halfway through the campaign and enjoying all the zombie antics.

The whole thing is ridiculously oversexualized though. They had a bit of a collob with Playboy, is that the reason interactions with women are like out of a porn script, with accompanying camera angles accentuating boobs and butt constantly?

35. Sin Vega says:

I have been playing Outside, an experimental but buggy and extraordinarily overpriced MMO. Most of the NPCs are shite too. I don’t recommend it.

• caff says:

The sad thing about this title is that you never really “level up”. For most people it’s a constant grind. And the worst part is that for each year of your existence, you can generally expect to lose stamina and perception to the point that the game becomes unplayable.

• Herring says:

You can start into the “Lineage” mechanic when that occurs though the results can be a bit RNG-dependant.

36. Seyda Neen says:

I’m still playing Mass Effect: Andromeda, my enjoyment increasing as I go along. But I realized you really do have to filter out the crap content, the menial icon-clearing tasks, and decide which bits are worth your time and which bits aren’t. It’s got Fallout 4 settlement syndrome. I can’t do everything for you settlers, do some work yourself!

37. poliovaccine says:

When Graham typed “Playerunknown’s Plunkbat” he immediately shone thru as the absolute epitome of Dadness hahah.

38. Buuurr says:

Can’t say. NDA.

39. Rainshine says:

XCom2. Felt really bad after some nasty save-scumming last week (accidentally evaced all the team except my medic, then realized she had a secto, two robots, a couple elite officers, and two stunboys all between her and the lift zone. And then there was the andromedan that was hitting for 28 punch, which was weird. But I’ve got past the forge mission, and have started to really appreciate how each class feels fairly nice and useful, beyond just item use.

40. Killy_V says:

The Witcher 3 : Just passed lvl 17, I’m finishing the main quests missions in Novigrad
    Nex Machima : I’m finding my optimal way in Techno forest on Rookie \o/
    XCOM2 : Restarted for the 5th time, I hope I’ll get a hold this time with the mods to slow down the countdown thingy. I need to find a guide for the upgrade to follow cause I’ve been picking up randomly upgrades last times and it did not go well. It’s harder than XCOM EU and I find this less fun.

Eve Online : Incursion is so awesome. A 40 man fleet rolling the whole weekend as one man is not something you see in many games. The level of organisation of EVE players is astonishing, like a anthive, but you’re the ant.

Iamblichos says:

Fallout 4, newly freshly modded so that it’s more fun and I no longer reach the point where the fun stops and I still want to punch the wall. Also Path of Exile, because slaughtering massive waves of things all at once is fun for a while.

42. elvirais says:

Guild Wars 2. I was burned out and I had the entire season 3 waiting for me. It’s much better so far than the previous living world seasons.

Gliding is still great fun. But how much currency types can one game possibly have, this is ridiculous.

particlese says:

Devil Daggers.

There is somehow still always Devil Daggers. So far, 44 hours of trying not to die; close to 44 hours of adrenaline running rampant, the heart racing after it, without the usual accompaniment of significant physical activity and heavy breathing. 89 hours of its code running for my enjoyment, the difference made up by watching replays or listening to the title screen and to the dagger. This larger figure’s more than any time spent with a single Mass Effect game on my account, by Steam’s reckoning. More than Saints Row 3 and Red Faction Guerilla combined. More than twice all the beloved Hexcells combined. Nearly a third of Skyrim.

I’m not trying to brag here – I find such huge wads of time dedicated to a single, typically transient diversion slightly alarming, albeit a rough indication of the enjoyment had – but rather attempting to sing a slightly different song of praise for this game which has, against my usual inclinations, somehow managed to keep my attention for so long with so very little “content”.

If I had to choose one game in all the world to be saved from a gaming apocalypse, Devil Daggers would not survive, but I would be very sad to see it go. I probably wouldn’t be put in charge of such an important decision, anyway, though, so there’s still a chance it might stick around when the time comes…