MMO sandbox war Foxhole marches on early access

Foxhole [official site], a massively multiplayer sandbox war where players act like units in an RTS, has invaded Steam Early Access. A war has raged for yonks, see, and now hundreds of players play every part from building bases and running supplies to, you know, fighting. After a stretch in open pre-alpha (which I downloaded but didn’t play because Plunkbat happened), Foxhole has now officially launched into paid early access. A bit like PlanetSide 2, World War 2 Online, and other persistent wars, it’s all one big throwdown across many fronts with grand schemes and grander failures. I hear good things from chums who are more resistant to Plunkbat’s siren call.

“A truck driver picked me up and just made me one of his scrap collectors,” Brendan said the other week. “Five of us just roaming the land, doing what we could behind the scenes, and every so often we’d come under fire in a place that should have been our turf. We have such a horrible porous frontline.”

That sounds great. Or you hit the frontlines to murder people. Or run supplies. Or go scouting for holes in the enemy’s frontline. Or perhaps patch up those in your own (Brendan). There are many ways to contribute to the war.

Foxhole is on Steam Early Access for £13.49/17,99€/$17.99, which includes a 10% launch discount. Plans for early access include more content, features, depths, and polish, and another mode. Developers Clapfoot say that while they have no fixed release date in mind, they expect to launch the full version of Foxhole in about a year.

1. Maxheadroom says:

Warhole?

2. bob22 says:

Looks great and *gasp* the reviews are positive! Thanks for putting it on my radar.

3. Cederic says:

It looks and sounds great, I’m just scared of early access. I grow to like a game, commit to it then they shift the emphasis of the design and lose me forever.

I’d rather not have that disappointment. Sorry.

4. stringerdell says:

The combat and building looks like great fun, hitting resource nodes with a hammer not so much!

5. nitric22 says:

I’m just scared of losing 8 hour chunks of my life in one sitting. Oh lord…

6. AshEnke says:

It looks a lot like a persistent Running With Rifles. That’s interesting.

7. caff says:

Tried this at the weekend. Queued half an hour for a server. Tried to get into a truck. It was locked. Ran around for 20 minutes with people barking orders at one another on text chat. Got run over by a truck. Respawned at base. Found another truck. Drove truck into a wall then reversed over one of my team mates accidentally. Got warned about Tking on chat. Got bored, logged off and got a refund.

I don’t think I had the greatest first experience.

• Sin Vega says:

Advanced Military Budget Cuts Simulator

• bob22 says:

Different events but a similar experience. I thought I’d really like it but it lacks a certain… something. I also really didnt like the camera angle – found myself wanting to pan down constantly – I want to see where I’m going! I get on with other games with similar isometric cameras so I’m not sure what it was that jarred with me about it.

8. Axolotl says:

Is this supposed to be an (MMO)RTS, or an (MMO)FPS? I don’t get it.

9. Gorncaptain says:

After being convinced by a few other RPSers on the community discord I bought this the other day, and have to say it’s some of the most fun I’ve had in a multiplayer game in a while. Even if we were running around like headless idiots until we got shot to death by entrenched baddies.

I didn’t really get much into the resource and building side of things, preferring to just grab a HMG, a few boxes of ammo and set up a nice kill zone on a bridge behind some sandbags. While friendlies worked on setting up more permanent emplacements.

At one point I ran out of ammo while suppressing a squad that had just managed to dive to cover. There’s something very surreal about trading insults with the enemy, while overhearing their plans to flank and grenade me out of my foxhole. Hoping they didn’t accidentally step into my field of fire and realise I was completely out of ammo is one of the tensest experiences in a game I’ve had recently. Knowing that the threat of my gun is all that was stopping them from blowing open our gate and looting the base was heart pounding.

Universal proximity voice chat makes the game so much more physical, especially combined with line of sight. You might be able to hear people on the other side of a wall talking, discussing strategy all just bullshitting, but you can’t see them. You don’t know whether they’re friendly or enemy, just that there are people on the other side of this wall and you need to prepare for the worst.

Like others have said, it feels very much like Running with Rifles, but with a much greater layer of permanence and strategy to it, everything you do has consequence, every round you fire was made by someone on the server. It’s an interesting feeling, and I hope the game keeps a high player count, it’s scratching an itch that hasn’t been scratched since Planetside 2, and even that doesn’t come close to the ‘cog in a huge war machine’ feeling that foxhole somehow manages to achieve.

10. JustAchaP says:

Very interested in picking this up. Its like a even more involved Squad but just as a top down shooter and persistent.

Comment on this story