LOTRO does not simply walk into Mordor

31mordor

The Lord of the Rings Online was due to finally add Mordor in its new expansion today, over a decade after the MMORPG first launched, but memesters will know full well that walking into Mordor is a difficult feat. The doorknob is at troll height, for starters. So it’s no surprise that developers Standing Stone Games announced at short notice that, contrary to plans, the Mordor expansion will not launch today. They’re busy squishing a bug and hope to offer an updated release date soon.

Standing Stone Games said on Sunday afternoon:

“While preparing over the weekend to release the expansion on Monday, we discovered an issue in the build that impacted the ability of monsters and NPCs to move around correctly. This problem was specifically identified in older content.

“While correcting this issue is not a problem, the process to correct it takes too long to be able to release Mordor on Monday. So, we have to adjust the release date. We will have more info on the release date soon. We will know a lot more in the next 24 hours or so, and will pass along the info as soon as we can.”

That was 21 hours ago. I’ll drop in an update when Standing Stone issue one.

The Mordor expansion will venture beyond the Black Gate with hundreds of new quests and many terrible things. It’ll cost $39.99.

Mordor? Sounds like they have… Lessdor. That’s a stone-cold joke right there.

1. SBLux says:

The Dark Lord giveth and he taketh away. Right now they have Thesameamountasbeforedor.

2. Captain Narol says:

The wise Sam had already predicted it :

“Mordor. The one place in Middle-earth we don’t want to see any closer, and the one place we’re trying to get to. It’s just where we can’t get.”

3. Tyrmot says:

Tried this the other day and seemed fun, but kept not working on win10 so had to uninstall. Disappointing.

Arnvidr says:

That’s weird, have always worked on win10 for me. Have not tried for a few months, but still.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I had quite a bit of trouble with the game when I downloaded from the website. I’d fix one problem and get a bit closer to actually launching the game and a new error would pop up. Eventually I downloaded it through Steam and it worked perfectly. Windows 10.0.14393 Build 14393

• xsikal says:

Strange. No problems on Windows 10 for me. Downloaded it fresh from the site (not Steam) just a few months ago and it’s run fine. (The engine is old and doesn’t run appreciably better on modern hardware, but it’s still a beautiful game)

Drib says:

The first time I played a free trial of LOTRO, quite nearly a decade ago, I proceeded to vomit for hours.

I mean, I had food poisoning. The game was fine.

But still.

5. Ghostwise says:

How orcward.

6. Keasar says:

“One does not simply walk into Mordor.

One must have done first the atunement quest which I am sure our newbie hobbits haven’t done yet.”

7. mejoff says:

Squishing a bug?

Not a very respectful way to refer to Shelob!

8. aircool says:

I curse this game after the fuckers lost my lifetime subscription due to the migration of EU accounts to the US.