FMV cult classic Night Trap invades PC on August 15

Notorious FMV game Night Trap is back, against all odds. Having survived the cancellation of the console it was originally made for, US congressional hearings about violence in video games, and a failed Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign, the interactive horror movie will come to PC as Night Trap – 25th Anniversary Edition [official site] on August 15th. Developers Screaming Villains had muttered before that they were considering a PC version, but now it’s official.

Upon hearing of Night Trap’s return, RPS’s John Walker asked “lord, why would anyone want it back?”

Night Trap is an interactive horror movie about teenage girls staying in a house over a weekend, unaware that they’re being used by the rozzers as bait in a trap to catch rubbish vampires. The house is filled with surveillance cameras and traps, see, and we play an agent keeping an eye on the girls and activating traps to vanquish vamps.

It’s neither a good movie nor a good game but has achieved minor cult status for those reasons. It’s a B gamemovie.

According to Walkman, “The only good thing about that game was us all sitting behind Mike while he played, imitating the “POP!” noise it made when you missed a vampire.”

The 25th Anniversary Edition packs deleted scenes, documentaries, a way to watch it as a movie, a new mode, and an unreleased prototype named Scene of the Crime. It’ll hit Steam on August 15th. For more on Night Trap’s weird and twisting history, Wikipedia has a good overview.

1. shoptroll says:

Next thing you know they’ll be bringing back Bubsy…

2. Prah says:

So when will it come to GOG.com?

3. davidgilbert says:

This would be of interest to people who like cheesy 90s FMV games, ala Dracula Unleashed, or are curious about how bad games could be in those days, or good depending on your tastes. I would say the Realms of Haunting was a good FMV game, for example.

I will probably get it at some point as it is to my tastes and I never had the console the game was originally released on.

4. mrentropy5 says:

Fans of Dana Plato should be happy.

5. RobbieTrout says:

Never played Night Trap, but I had its very similar stablemate, Double Switch. All I can remember about it is that it was hard! As in Night Trap, you have to watch security camera footage and intervene at the right moments.

I was just beginning to get into it properly when I dropped the CD and accidentally kicked it across the floor, and that was the end of that.

6. Maxheadroom says:

25 years ago I was working in a small computer shop and demoing this helped us shift a load of Mega-CDs

FMV was revolutionary back then and could be used to sell anything (except “Kriss-Kross – Make my Video” apparently)

7. Moonracer says:

I had and played this back in the day. A housemate who collects old games even has my copy. One of the nice features of the game was a clock that ran constantly, so you could write down when and where everything happens for a future play through. I agree that there isn’t much reason to play it today unless you are a gaming historian.

8. HothMonster says:

I played in back on Sega CD and will probably pick it up when it hits 5$ just for the nostalgia kick. I wish Sega had sponsored it and did like a Sewer Shark, Road Avenger, Night Trap triple feature. So I could play 10 minutes of each remember why I hated these and wonder why I spent money on it…

Anyway what I really came here to say was the documentary piece about this game and its creation was very interesting. Say what you will about the final product but it was a very unique and novel approach to the videogame market.

9. GunnerMcCaffrey says:

“Here’s a game we don’t think any of you should buy, but we’ve posted about it anyway for SEO.”

• protorp says:

“Here’s a comment I don’t think any of you should buy, but I’ve posted it anyway for Scoring Extra Onanity.”

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

It’s true, I don’t think anyone should buy that comment. Don’t support comment resellers, folks, it’s a shady business model at best.

• WJonathan says:

“Scoring Extra Onanity” Wasn’t that the understood purpose of Night Trap?

10. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Only if they still refer to your unit as Sega Control Attack Team or S.C.A.T.