Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire coming in September

The second paid expansion for free-to-play fantasy MMORPG Guild Wars 2 [official site] will launch on September 22nd, developers ArenaNet announced today. Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire will return to the Crystal Desert from the first game along with Elona from its Nightfall expansion. Continuing to follow and fight the return of the god of war, Path of Fire will also introduce mounts and new elite specialisations for all classes. Here, check out the big ol’ video that ArenaNet streamed to announce all this:

ArenaNet explain:

“Balthazar threatens the Crystal Desert and adjoining kingdom of Elona with his Forged legions. Explore vast new maps filled with magic-drenched desert plains, ancient temples and ruins, and beautiful oases. Uncover the secrets of Tyria’s history, and discover the fate of the Elonian people after years of silence.”

So off we’ll go, exploring and questing and fighting across five new maps. The Crystal Desert was always one of my favourite places in the first game, an eerie emptiness with deserted settlements and vast statues. Few people visited many of its corners, so it felt lonely even in towns. I quite fancy heading back, and some of the stranger places in this video look wonderful.

Head on over to Path of Fire’s page for more information on everything.

Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire is coming on September 22nd. It will cost £25.99.

And dang, just like always, Guild Wars has some amazing concept art:

1. aliksy says:

Mildly excited. Don’t care about mounts, but the new specializations look fun. Might get some mileage out of professions I mostly skip on, now.

Now if only they’d add a stats-wardrobe to non-legendary gear so I can play around with different combos without carrying a bunch of gear with me…

• tevelizor says:

That’s the point of legendary gear, though. It has the same stats as ascended, but with instant stat swapping and cool skins.
      Plus, they added legendary trinkets, so I’m guessing the only missing legendary piece of equipment left is… aquabreather?

elvirais says:

I came back after a long absence, so I had some story to work through. I’m in the middle of the six episodes of season 3 right now, and it’s very good. The writing, zones, dialogue… very nice. The combat in the story instances is a bit over the top for me. Too much grinding, too much “the ceiling is exploding and there’s missiles everywhere and you’re being trampled by an invulnerable monster until you jump through these hoops to be able to hit to a few times”. No, just no. It’s really frustrating and gimmicky.

Interested in the new specializations. And exploring really is one of guild wars’ strengths.

PS also a big fan of World versus World, in case any devs see this ;) keep working on it, it’s a great mode of play.

3. GemFire81 says:

Nooooooooo! For the love of god, stop using stuff from GW1 which was an amazing game, and putting it into GW2 which is a completely different game. A game that is no where near as good as the original. Yuck! I wish GW2 had a completely different name.

• Vinraith says:

It really is a completely different, markedly worse game. All the party building, the diverse skill system, the complexities allowed with the multiclass system, are all gone. I spent better than a thousand hours in GW1. I spent about 20 desperately trying to figure out how GW2 could be as empty and pointless as it appeared to be before I just gave up.

• caerphoto says:

It really is a completely different, markedly worse game.

Do you not think perhaps there might be some kind of bias here? You present opinion as fact.

• Aborted Man says:

Agree about the name thing…I suggested “Large Group of People Conflict 2” as a name when GW2 was in development, but the devs wouldn’t consider it.

• Imperialist says:

Except the general rule for a sequel is to be bigger, better, and flashier than the original. GW2 succeeds in this regard…but its also inferior to alot of its MMO kin. It was ambitious. It ultimately failed to capitalize on that ambition. GW1 hasnt aged well, and it would fail harder than GW2 if it was released today.

Mungrul says:

Specialisations still don’t look as cool as the original game’s dual class system and deck-builder approach to skills.

5. SaintAn says:

Fool me once: Shame on me.

Fool me twice: Shame on me.

Fool me three times: There’s something wrong with me.

6. Hunchback says:

I really would have loved seeing a new playable race rather than more specializations.

I am not sure the content they are showing is worthy of an “expansion”. I don’t like comparing much, but WoW expansions usually brought A LOT of content – multiple zones, skills, dungeons, raids, sometimes new classes and races…

The GW2 expansions feel more like a big DLC rather than an actual expansion. And considering the game is getting old and stale, it doesn’t bode well.

• pentraksil says:

And what is the price of WOW expansions? What about subs? Comparing it to WoW is really not fair.

• Hunchback says:

True, WoW has subs…
        As for expansions, they go for about 30, don’t they? In my vague memory at least, but it’s been maybe 5-6 years since i last touched WoW…

• voss says:

As a longtime active player of both games I can say that your comment is misleading, objectively incorrect and nonfactual.

Half of the WoW expansions were poorly executed mainly because of their lack of content and bland number changes, and even with that it didn’t mean high value (but they ask for 50EUR).
      With Path of Fire (30EUR) you will get:
      – 5 new big maps (same as a regular WoW expansion) where exploration have much more weight and the world feels much more alive with a lot of world events, bounties, fractals and possibly new raid(s).
      – 9 new elite specializations with NEW skills that change the core mechanics of each class (in WoW very little changes in this regard and 99% of the skillbooks see only number tweaks or skills removed/locked behind specs).
      – Mounts with new masteries and special skills that work not only as a button to run faster like in WoW but will help you explore new zones inaccessible without it.
      – And for me the most important – the content stays RELEVANT. When the next WoW expansion comes out, all the previous content becomes irrelevant.
      So yeah, value is subjective but comparing 2 similar products you can easily see differences between lower value content and higher value content. And no, simply creating a new model and selling it as a new race, releasing 8 irrelevant maps and changing the color of 1 mount so you can call it 2 mounts doesn’t add much value to the product.

• Hunchback says:

I stopped playing WoW at around Cataclysm i believe, so i can’t compare later expansions. At around that point WoW became total shit with the inclusion of the daily quests/dungeons/raids/whatever grind and the constant +10 levels mehness.

To be clear, GW2 is a much better game in many aspects, but it’s also much newer. WoW has some very unique athmosphere tho i can’t deny the good memories and nostalgia it brings. I miss the world, not the game, if that makes sense.
        With GW2 it’s KINDA the other way around – the world is very big and cool to explore but it’s also somehow hollower than WoW. On the other hand the gameplay is excellent.

And yes, horizontal progression is definitely the way to go.

But i still have a feeling (which is probably wrong) that WoW expansion brought more actual content. *shrug*

Comment on this story