Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds details update, apologises for handling of crate & key announcement

The latest big ‘monthly’ update to early access Battle Royale ’em up Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds [official site] may have been delayed to this Thursday but the wait will be worth it: the patch will finally add Plunkbat’s Blue Hi-top Trainers to the pool of permanent unlockable clothing. In this hell of xtreme ’90s fashion, at least we’ll have good shoes every round. Oh, and the update will also add first-person-only servers, and a field of view slider, and performance optimisations, and Brendan ‘Playerunknown’ Greene has apologised for how poorly they handled announcing this update’s paid cosmetic crate, but the important point is: unlockable Blue Hi-tops.

Along with new regular cosmetic crates, this update will introduce a ‘Gamescom Invitational Crate’ which contains a load of garments inspired by the Battle Royale movie – and must be unlocked by paying $2.50 for a key. The proceeds will help fund a Plunkbat tournament. That’s fairly standard these days but does go against what Plunk had said in February:

“As far as monetization is concerned, know that we eventually intend to give the player options to purchase cosmetic items only. However, until the game is out of Early Access, our development resources will be focused entirely on improving the Battle Royale game mode. Only then will we consider the addition of in-game purchases.”

That was before Plunkbat even hit early access, and the early access certainly will change a game’s plans. In this morning’s update, Plunk says that crate & key is a system that’d need testing in early access anyway.

“While our intention was and still is to add the full feature to the game when we move into actual release, we do need to test it prior to launch and at Early Access so that it is stable and ready to be fully introduced to our community,” he said.

“I do understand your concerns about the system, but I feel testing for a sturdy economy on the Steam Marketplace is necessary at this stage and ultimately beneficial for the game. And once again, this is a purely optional system, and you are not forced into participating if you do not feel like it.”

“But still, I must admit that our messaging wasn’t very clear, so I extend my sincere apologies for the confusion caused. The process of communicating our intentions precisely to our fans and communities should have been done in a more careful and prudent manner. I’ve learned a lot, and we’ll try to communicate better moving forward.

I myself do not care in the least. The items are only cosmetic and a fair portion are ugly. It doesn’t seem worth getting annoyed over. I’ve shot people wearing that hideous Twitch Prime outfit and I’ll shoot Battle Royale cosplayers too.

Okay! Storm in a teacup addressed, let’s talk about the fun game I’ve enjoyed playing almost every day (and now won twice – in back to back wins!).

The patch notes are in for this week’s patch, which was due in July but ended up delayed by bug-fixing. The full notes are over there but here are some highlights to me:

Client Optimization

• Optimized memory usage for world objects
  • Optimized terrain rendering
  • Optimized vehicle physics
  • Optimized User Interface

New Items

• Added new weapon Mk14 EBR. Mk14 EBR is a Designated Marksman Rifle that can only be obtained from Carepackages. This weapon is chambered for 7.62mm and sniper rifle attachments

Character

• Added two new face presets and hairstyles to character customization for both genders

Gameplay

• Added 1st Person server options to NA and EU Solo and Duo game-modes
  • Players who choose 1st Person mode will be matched together
  • Added a new feature to report players
  • Added new animation when using different consumables
  • Decreased the reload time of VSS
  • Players may now re-enter games if they have been disconnected mid-game
  • Sound volume difference from inside and outside of building is more obvious
  • Added new effects when a character is running or sprinting over different types of surfaces

Items and Vehicles

• Added a lower rail attachment slot to SKS
  • You may now honk a car horn when sitting in the driver’s seat with Left Mouse Click
  • Eliminated firing delay of S1897 from pump action after reload
  • Reduced cast time of First Aid Kit / Painkiller to 6 seconds
  • Reduced cast time of Med Kit / Adrenaline Syringe to 8 seconds

UI

• Added more features and hot keys to the Options Menu
  • You may now designate a maximum of two different keys for each key bind
  • Added new option to set toggle on certain actions and features
  • Added new keybinds to use specific throwables
  • Added Colorblind Mode
  • Added an FOV slider for 1st person view

Bug fixes

• Partially fixed client crash issues
  • Fixed an issue of weapons sporadically ceasing to fire despite being set to auto firing mode
  • Characters farther than 500m away from a vehicle will no longer hear the tire screech sound
  • Fixed a bug where a character could see through the other side of wall when scoping or crouching against certain walls

Hi-tops AND honking. Dreams really can come true.

Plunk also revealed the contents of the two non-paid crates, which contain a mix of new items, items previously in crates, and items already in the game but only as drops not permanent unlockables. New bits include (I think?) ill-fitting jeans and several plaid shirts, which is presumably a games journalist cosplay outfit.

1. Ghostwise says:

Being chambered for attachments is no mean feat. When they say “enhanced” they must mean it. :-)

2. Neutrino says:

Do they have, or will they have gun skins? I can easily see myself transferring over to this from CSGO when it eventually releases.

• XavTheOne says:

I am super curious why that is the feature that would cause you to switch?

• bob22 says:

“when it eventually releases.”

I think you need to let go of the concept of a game being ‘released’, in this context. It is released, and probably has the most active user base it will ever have, it might eventually get a ‘1.0’ slapped on it but it will be after an arbitrary update when everybody’s stopped playing it. Like every other game like it, what you see is 95% of what you’re gonna get.

• Neutrino says:

I’m not saying that gun skins would be the thing that makes me switch, but I’d definitely be on the FPS only server, so fancy trainers and sagging jeans wouldn’t be much of a draw.

I don’t play anything in early access, especially not at the price they are asking. I have so many games on my list that waiting for a full release is not a big deal.

StarCraft Remastered in 2 weeks has gone straight to the top of the pile though.

3. StevieW says:

I brought (and refunded) this a few months back. I enjoyed it, but the performance was awful on my PC. My specs are fine, just needed optimizing, which I get as it is EA.

Just wondering though, really want to start playing it again, does it run any better than it did 2-3 months back?

• vahnn says:

I did the same, bought it and refunded due to performance. Averaged 30 fps on Ultra Low. I’ve since built a new PC, but gave my old one to a friend (i7 3820, 980 gtx, 16gb ddr3) and he’s averaging 60-70 with dips down to 40 on Med/High with Shadows on Low at 1080p. So definitely an improvement!

• LXM says:

It’s definitely running much better than it was when early access launched but it’s still not where it should be (in my opinion as an armchair dev).

With the improvements they’re making I’m pretty sure they’ll have it running well (maybe not great, but well) by launch and in the meantime I’ve just adjusted to it looking uglier than everything else I’m playing.

• vahnn says:

Oh, it definitely has a ways to go before it could be said that it runs great, or even good. But it’s massively improved over the state it was in at release.

• theirongiant says:

I’m running a stock i5-2500k, 970 with 16Gb ram (and SSD natch), I’m running comfortably at 70fps on a 1440p screen. They released a couple of optimization patches a client and a server one, funnily enough I only saw a jump in performance after the server one. The most of my settings are on high or ultra with the exception of a couple that really tank framerate – strangely view distance isn’t one of them. If you care enough I can dig out my settings for you.

• ChadKroeger says:

Hey buddy, I’m running the same setup and CAN achieve 70fps but it seems that I’m typically in the mid 40-50s. I’ve got my CPU overclocked to 4.3ghz and my GPU is slightly (up to about 1320mhz, if I recall correctly). I would love to hear your settings, as your CPU is stock and mine is not…

Please advise!

Drib says:

The car honking is super important.

Now when I drive circles around the remaining play area, I can further antagonize folks by honking my horn constantly. Woo!

5. bob22 says:

I tried it out but didn’t click with the gameplay at all, definitely one of those ‘why is this so popular’ games for me.

Especially the beginning where you have to land and find gear every single time. I only refunded after an hour and it already felt like groundhog day.

• stepfather says:

thats the entire point of the game bro..survival, looting for supplies and protecting yourself. what would you prefer? starting with all your gear? that’s stupid. then it’d be whoever bought the best shit to start with has the advantage all the time.
      The only part of the gameplay I don’t “click” with is the damn third person camera abuse.

6. stepfather says:

i hate this “plunkbat” shit..nobody that actually plays call it plunkbat. it’s pubg. this “plunkbat” abbreviation sounds ridiculous..i hope it doesn’t catch on like you’re trying to make it. Now that thats out of the way.. First person only servers couldn’t come soon enough. The third person mechanic completely ruins the skill required for winning in this game. It has simply turned every match into a majority of players proned in their houses watching through windows whilst being totally unseen. You can drive into a completely empty forest only for every single tree to turn into camping players popping out of the literal wood work. And as for cosmetics..if first person catches on like I’m praying it will..nobody will even see the clothes they’re wearing any more. I feel like the only people that will still be playing third person are the H1Z1 dorks and other clowns that aren’t good enough so they need to be able to hide and watch without being seen.

• stepfather says:

Also. The problem with the crate anouncement is that they went back on their word. Many a people bought into this game early access or pre-order because they agreed with the way it was being handled. It was EA “done right” now it’s turning down the cash grab road like every other game before it. It’s been a morale busting move for the real gamers who believed in this “PLayer unknown” clown. How the hell are they going to focus on a competitive tournament when the game is essentially still broken?..get it out of early access first before you start doing all this shit. This is going to turn away people. And simply off principle alone I bet people will be boycotting. I love the potential of the game. But the fact that “Bullshit” seems to just be the accepted way of how the game works is saddening. Because this game is just simply the best one of it’s kind. And thats not saying much considering all the battle royale games never actually got “finished”. This is just the most polished turd at the moment. Don’t get me wrong. I have 150+ hours in the game and I love the concept. I just really hope they fix the issues instead of just letting these ridiculous broken mechanics become “part of the game”..because this game could be so much more if it were simply polished and the broken mechanics and physics and optimization issues were ironed out. It’d be amazing.

side note..why the hell would you ever honk? youre already making yourself a target using the vehicles. and who gives a shit about the clothing when its literally scattered all over the entire map and gives you no benefits

PS. Your time limit to edit your comments idea is really stupid.

• stepfather says:

side, side note. FIRST PERSON IS LOOKING NICE!
        *i’d add this to an existing comment already but I didn’t think of it fast enough*…

• stepfather says:

*TITLE* he apologizes for the way he handled it? “Sorry for lying to ya’ll” … well now it’s all better. He’s still going to go back on his word..but at least hes sorry now. GTFOH

• SanguineAngel says:

So many words! Well, I don’t know about this “pub golf” game of yours (I’m assuming that mouth killer “pubg” was an obvious typo!) but I play plunkbat all the time!

On a serious note, I really like the 3rd person aspect and when it comes down to the point where everyone’s hunkering down behind trees and rocks – well I really enjoy it! It honestly and truly feels exactly like me and my mates playing paintball. The tension level is pitched just right for exhileration without any soul crushing despair.

I also really dig the 3rd person camera from a gameplay perspective. Especially in team games. With the alt look, I find it somehow prompts an increase in tactical chatter with whoever I play with. It’s a small thing that brings the game that more to life for me. Besides, it’s a nice solution to game avatars not really being as freely able to look around as in real life, even in FPS. In reality most of us have much better awareness of our surroundings.

Regarding the crates, I don’t really view it as a breach of trust in any way. It’s being used to fund a specific goal and I really don’t think heralds the dawn of the End Times of paid DLC in the EA version. Though by now I’d say that the games is already in a state I would have been happy to pay for at release. It’s just so much fun.

Assuming your posts aren’t actually tongue in cheek – I’ll leave comedic comments about this “Real Gamers” lark alone.

Edit: Also agree about the edit timer!

• gi_ty says:

I love when people get all bent out of shape over paid cosmetics. What effect does it have on you in the slightest? Want to support a tournament great buy a silly key! If you don’t it has zero effect on you, so why do you care? Also anytime I see someone say they are a “real gamer” it makes me laugh. Why do people feel the need to qualify themselves in a superior way, at all, or especially when it comes to something like a recreational video game? Are you so empirically sure of your opinions that someone with a different view about a leisure activity has to wrong? I mean come on that’s just ridiculous.
        P.S. Honking is awesome! P.S.S. Plunkbat sounds way cooler how does one say pubg? Pub Gee? Pubgeh? there isnt enough vowels lol

• Alice O'Connor says:

Everyone I play with calls it Plunkbat too. You need COOLER friends.

• dontnormally says:

Anecdote incoming: I honestly thought you were referring to an entirely other game and was really confused. I and the people I know had never heard of that acronym you used. Shrug

• Pogs says:

I do too and I don’t even play this Plunkbatamajig thing.

Also, Alice is the instigator of Plunkbat I’m pretty sure. So if you are mad, best plunkbat her in Plunkbat. Hey, look! It can be a verb aswell. Who would have thought!

keithzg says:

Someone in person tried to convince me it was “Pub Gee” or some such nonsense and I was like, now way hosé.

• vahnn says:

I call it PlUnkBat. Not catching on with my friends, though, so I just find myself calling it boring old pubg.

And I WANT TO HONK! If you can’t see the tactical advantages of honking, that’s your problem.

Also, other people will see your clothes, and you’ll see your clothes when you look down or when driving, and at the main menu and (for now) during the pregame and parachuting. You’ll see your arms and hands on your gun.

Why are you such a downer?

• Thants says:

Nonsense, it must only be called by its proper name: PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS.

7. fish99 says:

I don’t mind the idea of paid cosmetics, but I do object to the pseudo-gambling crate model. It’s just sleazy, and that goes for every game that does it, including CS:GO and Overwatch.

Just sell the god damn shoes for 50p, don’t ask me to buy £15 worth of crates to get them. You already took $50-100M in revenue for the game.

• SenorRoboto says:

You can, just go to the marketplace

• fish99 says:

Good point, although anything good will probably be rare and therefore overpriced, and it doesn’t change the fact that it’s a sleazy payment model.

• April March says:

Even if you buy blue high-tops from another player for fifty pence, that player likelt spent whatever bajillion plunk-dollars in order to get keys to crates that had the high-tops. I think the OP is asking devs that they don’t do that fucking shit and instead just let people pay for items they want to have.

• PaulV says:

Seriously, putting paid gambling into your game when you’ve been number 1 on the steam charts for four months straight at 30 euros a pop is fucking shameful. You’re already rich, there’s no need to be this greedy at all.

8. doodler says:

This “controversy” is a nice pivot from the stream sniping ban and their preferential treatment controversy. I’m glad they were able to change the narrative because that was tearing the subreddit apart

9. Kylind says:

I don’t know what’s going on with this game, but I have now begun to regularly watch streams of it.
    I don’t even play it!
    Why is it so fascinating? I have no idea! Did the creator make a deal with the devil to make this strangely addictive?

10. KhanSolo says:

Am I the only one who calls it Pubs?

11. zubsero says:

I keep my Task Bar on the left side of the screen so I get more viewspace up/down when browsing and using the PC in general. When in any of the fullscreen modes it forces the mouse to be offset to the side by however big the taskbar is. I have to set it to hide but even then there’s a thin blue line left.

Any way to fix this?

• April March says:

I have my task bar on my right side (👊) and never had that problem. What OS are you using?

• Nogo says:

Known issue. Probably not too high in the priorities.

Bit of a pain, but I just swap it to the bottom before opening PUBEY-G, seemed to work better than auto-hide.

12. Pizzzahut says:

I don’t care what people say, adding a horn to the cars is easily the most significant feature of this update.

Comment on this story