Wolfenstein 2 shows off an hour of Nazi-killing gameplay

You can now watch almost an hour of Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus, if you’d like, across three newly-released gameplay videos. One shows BJ ‘Sad Eyes’ Blazkowicz murdering a great many Nazis from his wheelchair, as our Adam already told you about in his E3 preview. Another wanders through the city of Roswell, where Nazis and Ku Klux Klan members rule (until ‘Puppy Dog’ Blazkowicz starts murdering). Lastly, you can watch him blast through a boss battle and ride away in style. That’s a lot of action before thine very own eyes, if you’re happy to spoil surprises and watch it now.

First, the demo from E3 in June:

The next two are from the preview Edwin Evans-Thirlwell saw recently. The city of Roswell and a train ride:

And a scrap with a mech in Area 52:

After seeing those latest bits, Edwin concluded:

“At times, The New Colossus almost feels like it wants to be an Arkane game, its surrounding universe so grotesquely elaborate that the bare act of aiming a gun comes to seem a distraction. The bubbles of contemplation created by that stealth emphasis are, you could argue, a foundation for something more in the Dishonored vein, with a broad play of variables serving as an incentive to soak up the detail of the universe. It’s certainly the aspect of the new game that has me fascinated, at the time of writing. Perhaps that’s the ultimate destination for the series under Machine Games, to slowly relegate the first-person shooting to second place as it burrows ever deeper, and with ever more self-awareness, into the spectacle of fascism.”

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus is due to launch on October 27th, priced at £39.99/59,99€/$59.99.

Mungrul says:

Okay, maybe I’m missing something here, but if you’re interested in the game, why would you watch an hour of gameplay prior to buying it? Surely, in a narrative-driven, single-player FPS like this, it would just spoil a significant part of the game for you?
    Or am I just being a grumpy old stick-in-the-mud?

Mungrul says:

That it be.

I can only posit that maybe it’s Bethesda’s way of avoiding doing a demo.
        But much as I dislike them, they’ve actually been swinging back to releasing demos recently, unlike most other companies out there.

Rassen, and indeed, frassen.

Grizzly says:

A wise friend once told me that, if a story is no longer good after you know how it goes, it wasn’t a good story to begin with.

• Zenicetus says:

There is still a big difference between watching and doing.

I remember watching a clip from TNO before it was released. It was that sequence on the train; that bit where BJ gets detained by Frau Whatsername and her creepy buddy for a test, to see if he’s Aryan enough. It was a powerful scene, but when playing the actual game it didn’t have the same impact, since I knew how it would turn out.

So yeah… not going to watch these videos. I’ll wait and play the game, if the initial reviews are good.

• fish99 says:

I can see where he’s coming from but I don’t entirely agree. There’s something to be said for going into a movie/game entirely blind.

2. mepto says:

Looks to me to be more of an intricate movie – cutscene galore – rather than game. I haven’t played the original but from the let’s plays, two out of three times you skip ahead, there’s either a cutscene or you’re in some kind of hideout doing NOT shooting. I guess it comes with the increased graphical fidelity demand, you have to put filler in there and take it slowly or it won’t last for hours.

On another note, the videos are “not available” for me in switzerland. This happened before. Thanks, bethesda, corporate scumlords.

• sneetch says:

The recent Wolfenstein games are very much about shooting, there are some levels with a bit of sneaking or talking but the shooting was very much the focus and also excellent, it was the best shooter I’d played in a good many years.

It’s a long game too, I took about 20 hours IIRC, I don’t remember much of that time being taken up by cutscenes but I quite liked the characters and story so I spent some time talking to them in the base sections and also looking for the various secrets in game.

Earl-Grey says:

And the shooting is very good.
        Oh so very good.

Punchy, oomphy, visceral, responsive, brutal und so weiter.

The game also feels very at home on PC.
        I’ve played through The New Order on both Playstation 4 and PC.
        And the frantic pace of the combat really suited mouse aiming much better than stick aiming.
        -but that might just be me.

• Zenicetus says:

There weren’t too many cut scenes in The New Order, and the “downtime” where you interact with members of the resistance helps establish the context. It’s a question of pacing. I thought the last game handled it well, but then I like being able to catch my breath between all the gunplay. And there’s PLENTY of that in this type of game.

3. automatic says:

Seems like some game dev finally acknowledges the importance of the chair on gamers lives. Personally I like to play my FPSs while standing, arcade style, but that’s not a popular trend it seems.

Iamblichos says:

Is this done in the Fallout4/Skyrim engine? Because it looks like it is, and if so, Bethesda needs to get a new graphics engine by yesterday. How long are you going to milk the desiccated corpse of that cow?

• ResonanceCascade says:

No, it’s not. And Bethesda is just the publisher.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yeah, it’s idtech 6, same as the new Doom. I think it looks great. Not like the creaky old creation engine at all.

• fish99 says:

They’re milking the series, not the engine, since no one buys the games for the engine.

Anyway, that aside, what you’re noticing, and I also noticed, is that the game shares an aesthetic/art style with Fallout 4, like it almost looks like they’re reusing some of the models/textures from F4 in a different engine/game.

• Pizzzahut says:

They both look similar because they’re both set heavily around 1950s America.

Iamblichos says:

Ah ok, yes, you’re right… the detail is stronger than in the old engines but the lighting is almost identical, especially where it hits certain textures. Strong visual similarity… as long as it isn’t the utterly cromulent human models and distorted faces :D

5. Eawyne says:

The New Order was an amazingly good surprise when I played it, my wife watching along – which she had never done for any FPS or war-related game. If not entirely original, the setting struck us as credible, rich and the story and gameplay were enthralling. I remember really feeling mad during the hospital intro ; the simple and touching timelapse helping well at that.

We’re really looking forward to the new installment =) And I don’t think the graphics are to shy away : it’s quite nice.

• Niko says:

New Order came as a surprise to me as well (bought it only recently, so I’m very late to the party). And girlfriend doesn’t really care for shooters and first-person games, but she was interested in some parts of New Order as well when I played.

• Thants says:

New Order was surprisingly great. It’s a game where you start out dual-wielding assault rifles against Nazi robots. But it’s somehow also a sensitive, thoughtful story.

I have no idea how they managed to fit those two sides together, but I hope this new one can keep it up.

tenochtitlan says:

“Video not available” on all of these, is this some kind of weird region locking going on?

7. Blake Casimir says:

Alice! Don’t toy with my emotions! I’m trying NOT to think about what Wolfenstein as an Arkane-style Immersive Sim would be like… because I know I’d be there day one to play it and probably wouldn’t stop until it was over. I had to force myself to stop playing Prey… :D

8. Asrahn says:

So much for the tolerant left!

9. Robomonk says:

Head bobbing
    Weapon sway
    Big weapon models (+hands) taking up the screen

Those are just some of the things that I hope a player can change from the menu, but I doubt it. Now, it seems like they want us to see his entire outstretched arm, while holding a weapon. It’s almost as if they also want this to be a VR “experience”.

Comment on this story