Lúcioball heads back to Overwatch, brings new and old summer skins

Overwatch Summer Games 2016

The Overwatch [official site] Summer Games are returning to PC (and some other platforms WHATEVER we don’t speak of them) on 8 August. It’s a pretty meaningful date, what with it being the 141st anniversary of Thomas Edison’s mimeograph patent being received and the 1900th anniversary of the death of Trajan. What would Blitzball Blernsball Lúcioball be without mimeographs and mourning Trajan? Nowhere. That’s where.

That’s the relevant developer update video which uses hot terms like “iteration” and “pertinent information”.

TL;DW?

1. Lúcioball is coming back with the 2016 Rio stadium and a new Sydney arena to play in. Tweaks to the way it plays include that you can no longer “boop” people and Lucio’s ultimate works a bit differently, like he’s just got a surge of energy rather than becoming able to drop in some cheesy strats.

2. There will be a competitive Lúcioball mode (Copa Lúcioball) alongside regular kickabouts for three weeks. Playing ten games in that mode gets you a special spray. Placing in the top 500 players in a region gets you a really special spray.

2. Last year’s skins are returning so players have a chance to pick up what’s missing from their collection. You can also unlock them using in-game credits (thus heading off the brouhaha from last year where you couldn’t) with the older cosmetics costing fewer credits than the new batch. The reduced rate of duplication in loot boxes (brought in during Patch 1.13.0.2a) will apply here. There are also new skins and #content, like a legendary skin for Junkrat and something for Mercy.

1. caerphoto says:

As long as I can unlock D.Va’s “I’m number one!” voice line I’m happy.

2. Bull0 says:

Genuinely cant tell from reading whether lucioball is a real thing or RPS humour. Don’t care enough to find out. Overwatch doesn’t click with me at all sadly

• caerphoto says:

Good of you to spend time commenting on a game you have no interest in, though.

FWIW Lucioball is a real thing. It’s basically Rocket League but with Lucio instead of cars.

• Bull0 says:

Thanks, good of you to give me that snotty reply, now I’m even keener to try and understand the game you play. When did I say I have no interest in it anyway? I was interested enough to buy the game, play it a bit, and not enjoy it.

• Talsted says:

“Don’t care enough to find out. Overwatch doesn’t click with me at all sadly” Gosh, can’t imagine how Caerphoto would come to that conclusion. And no, after your lead-in, you don’t get to clutch your pearls and complain about a “snotty reply.” You were an ass, broadcasting how you don’t like a game that most people reading this article like, because it makes you feel cool to hate on something popular and pretend to be ignorant about something that would take you ten seconds to Google, because you’re too far above it to bother. At least be honest and own it.

3. Pogs says:

Summer? We don’t have that in the UK. What is it?

4. Zorgulon says:

I have to say I found Lúcioball quite shallow and frustrating last time around – it’s certainly my least favourite of their event game modes.

I’ll give it another try after these changes though. Interested to see if the new skins are more inspiring than last year’s.

• sosolidshoe says:

I feel exactly the opposite way. Lucioball remains my favourte “brawl” gamemode so far, and these changes seem very much like they’ll ruin the main reasons why I liked it.

If you can’t boop other players, and you can’t use the ult to draw the ball towards you, the tactics of the game will be reduced to dribble, or punt it. You can’t disrupt people from behind anymore, so if someone gets past you you might as well just sit there; you can’t pull off trickshots, which were necessary to allow a skilled player to outmaneuver multiple opposing defenders(a frequent requirement in pub matchmaking if you played it a lot); you can’t work together as a team on the attack with one player blocking while the other shoots, or where one of you dummies out the keeper but instead goes in for a boop while the second person comes from behind to shoot.

Now it’ll likely play like that Simpsons pisstake of football(soccer) – back & forth and back & forth, with nothing interesting to break the stalemate. Snore.

5. BaronKreight says:

Man, so many overwatch articles.

• Zorgulon says:

It’s almost like there’s a continuous stream of updates and new content being released.

• Ghostwise says:

And with an humongous population of people who love the game and want to have news about it.

• SaintAn says:

I wouldn’t say humongous. Game is noticeably getting emptier. Active daily player amount is decreasing because there’s rarely any new content added and so the the game is becoming stale and boring.

6. int says:

I can’t wait to play Lucille Ball again.

Comment on this story