Stardew Valley multiplayer expected in early 2018

The first green sprouts of multiplayer should push up into cutesy farm life RPG Stardew Valley [official site] at the end of this year, publishers Chucklefish have announced. Chucklefish are chipping in with multiplayer and expect it’ll be ready to launch properly in “early 2018”. For now, they’ve explained a little more of how it will work.

Chucklefish’s Tom Coxon says:

“Shortly after you begin the game, Robin will offer to build up to 3 cabins on your farm. Each cabin will house a farmhand, controlled by one of your friends.

“Farmhands can do almost anything the main player can do. They can farm, mine, fight, fish, forage, marry NPCs and take part in festivals. Each player has their own inventory. When a farmhand is not connected, their inventory can be managed through a chest in their cabin.

“Certain decisions can be made only by the main player: when to sleep, when to start and end festivals, and whether to side with Joja, for instance.”

It won’t require dedicated servers, and will use Steam invitations (or probably something similar outside stuff) to arrange farm hangouts.

Oh, and yup, multiplayer marriage will be in. “Player-to-player marriage won’t use the mermaid pendant, but rather an alternative method that requires a similar amount of effort to wooing an NPC,” Chucklefish say. “We’re still working out what that will be.” Hopeful not a load of chores like with NPCs.

Multiplayer Stardew Valley is already possible through a player-made mod, though it’s cruder and certainly jankier.

“There WILL be bugs and crashes. You have been warned,” creator ‘spacechase0’ says. “This is only meant as a temporary solution, until official multiplayer comes out.”

Still, if you really want to farm with friends right now, that is already out and does broadly work. Not to mention that it’s hugely impressive for a mod.

1. pixelillest says:

Oh so it’s finally getting a feature the otherwise superior-in-every-way Rune Factory 4 doesn’t have?

• Duke of ankh says:

yep, a feature much enjoyed by the 4~ or so who has a 3DS

• Troubletcat says:

According to Wikipedia the 3DS is the 10th best selling games console of all time, outselling the PS4, Nintendo 64, original Xbox and the Xbone to name a few. Around 67 million units sold.

I don’t buy handheld systems, but I’m not delusional enough to think that means nobody else does either.

• Scripten says:

I mean other than acknowledging the existence of non-heterosexual relationships and having a PC release. YMMV

• pixelillest says:

While RF4 certainly doesn’t make homosexual marriage possible it absolutely does acknowledge its existence with loads and loads of innuendo and flirting between same-sex pairings, and a kind of “hack-y” method for getting around it by changing your character skin to the same sex as your partner later in-game.

But I will acknowledge that in that regard it is missing something that Stardew has.

For that admitted issue though you get a game with farming, combat, taming, crafting, and life sim elements considerably deeper than Stardew.

Note that though my initial comment is 110% snarky, I do recognize that Stardew’s success is well earned by it’s commitment to PC and multi-platform launching. I just simultaneously don’t care for how much people laud it as this groundbreaking life-sim when it’s a poor mans version of a better game.

• Troubletcat says:

I don’t think anyone’s ever called it groundbreaking. I’ve mostly seen it called “Harvest Moon clone but on PC this time” which is basically accurate. It gets lauded for being a solid example of its genre and a lot of people who don’t get to play many games of this type because they’re not on PC like it because it’s on PC.

FWIW I’ve never even heard of Rune Factory, so for all I know it is a much better game – that’s just also a fact that’s completely irrelevant to me.

• Rince says:

Call me when the so called better game is released on PC and have lesbian marriage.

• Bloodoflamb says:

Woah, hot-take!

I think most people who have played both would disagree with you. That’s fine though. You can certainly put your opinion out there like it’s some god-given fact of the universe.

• vexis58 says:

I played Rune Factory 4, and honestly now that I’ve gotten used to playing games on my phone, the only reason I haven’t just sold my 3DS is Pokemon. I have trouble focusing on the gameplay because I’m too distracted by how terrible the resolution on that tiny screen is.

After playing pretty much every Harvest Moon and the like on a similarly tiny screen, it’s a revelation to be able to play Stardew Valley on my 1440p PC monitor. I can’t overstate how great it is to be able to actually see what’s going on.

• SaintAn says:

I don’t take anyone seriously that gives an opinion on gaming while admitting they like phone “games” better than real games. Tap Tap Tap *Mindless Drooling* Tap Tap Tap

• GeoX says:

Yes, that’s what all phone games are like. You seem like a well-informed person whose opinions should be taken seriously.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

DOUBLE-CROPS!!

3. Stugle says:

My youngest child is just starting to get into Stardew Valley, so I’m looking forward to playing it with her.

4. khaoselement says:

Chucklefish failing to deliver on yet another release date? I’m so shocked! They’re such a reliable developer!

5. SaintAn says:

Wish they’d hurry up with the Switch version. I want a portable version of the game already.

teije says:

I really enjoyed my time with Stardew Valley, but can’t see the appeal of this limited “with friends” multiplayer at all. Just doesn’t seem to fit with the pace or framing story.

• GeoX says:

Me neither. Honestly, it’s a bit baffling to me that multiplayer has been such a keenly desired feature. To me, the idea has no appeal.

7. Michael Anson says:

Some of us have people we care about that we want to share games we enjoy with. The rest of you can continue to play the game on your own without worrying about multiplayer features.

Drib says:

What are those idorts doing up there in the first image?

The farmer has an iridium can but he’s watering one plant at a time.

The other guy has an iridum axe he’s swinging at… nothing?

Get it together! We’re not paying you lot by the hour!

Comment on this story