Have You Played… Dino Run?

dinorun

Flash games were trivial distractions, like 3D Pong and Spank the Monkey. Dino Run (playable here) was a trivial distraction, too, but its lovely art and novel concept seemed to hint at some greater future for these games-not-made-by-big-companies. Shame that never came to pass, eh?

Dino Run has you as a small dinosaur trying to outrun a wave of deadly asteroids. You scuttle across dirt, hop along dinosaur’s backs, hitch lifts from passing flying dinosaurs, and that’s about all I remember. It was lovely to look at though and it scratched that teenaged itch to compete with friends over high scores.

I can’t get any of the old Flash embeds to work, but there’s a version, Dino Run DX (pictured above), available on Steam for a price. It has levels and modes and multiplayer hats and guest appearances from other indie game characters, and its developers have also since made a great many other games that are also available on Steam. That original, simple Dino Run remains my favourite.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

This was the first game I ever paid for a premium account, one whole dollar for some hats. Good thing I got that out of my system early.

2. rroose says:

Pixeljam tweeted and sent an email just last week saying they *might* make Dino Run 2 if enough people are interested!

3. GeoX says:

Got the DX version in some steam sale or other. Played a few hours. Worth it for the price.

4. KDR_11k says:

Yeah. Did you play the No Internet error message in Chrome?

5. Niko says:

While I’m not really good at Dino Run, I love that is somehow manages to evoke the memories of playing DOS games in a friend’s mum’s office back in the 90s, so it always holds a special place in my heart or wherever we keep these feelings nowadays.

Ninja Dodo says:

Yeah, it’s a fun game. I like the simple but catchy music.

Comment on this story