Q.U.B.E. 2 puzzle-platforming into 2018

Cubes: they’re everywhere these days. Ever since Minecraft invented cubes, haven’t you noticed those swollen squares popping up all over? They’re obvious in many Minecraft-y video games but, if you press your face against your screen, you’ll see that every game is made of little ones. And it’s not just games. Cut a slice of Battenberg cake and that’s cubes. Heck, look out your window and realise buildings are basically cubes. It’s mighty sinister. Still, I must concede that the cubes of Q.U.B.E. 2 [official site] have made a pretty world. Developers Toxic Games today announced the first-person puzzle-platformer sequel will come in 2018, and shared a little look at it:

The first Q.U.B.E. was fun enough, a puzzle-platformer with technogloves to move and manipulate the cubic menances. Bbut the puzzling was never truly satisfying and Adam noted in his Wot I Think that he wished for more character or story:

“I suppose I’m distracted by the bits and pieces that allude to a scenario and find them unfulfilling. Preferably, all puzzle games would greet me with narrative interludes but there are times when colours and shapes are nothing more than colours and shapes. They don’t have to be. Q.U.B.E. is a game about colours and shapes, not about laboratories and gizmos. It’s also a fairly good game about colours and shapes that doesn’t run its ideas into the ground but also offers very little reason to revisit.”

Update: Oh! I’m informed that Q.U.B.E. did later add a story with its Director’s Cut update. Ta, gang.

As the trailer hints, Q.U.B.E. 2 is whacking in a story. It stars Amelia Cross, a British archaeologist who awakes to find herself in this cubehell. It sounds like puzzling is being expanded too.

“With Q.U.B.E 2 we want to give the player more story but we also want to give them more choice,” Toxic managing director Dan Da Rocha said in today’s announcement. “We’ve developed the tools players can use to solve puzzles, subverting the linearity of the original in favour of something more open, something that allows players to put their own stamp on solutions.”

Hmm! Q.U.B.E. 2 is coming to Windows and Mac some time in “early 2018”.

sylmarien says:

I didn’t get as much into the first game as I had hoped. The environment may have not helped.

But this one looks a bit too much like the Witness, no?

2. Mara says:

It’s worth noting that the first Q.U.B.E. got a Director’s Cut (free for owners of the base version) that adds a narrated story mode.
    I… haven’t actually gone and played through the game again, but for the first hour or two it seemed neat enough.

3. Pich says:

the first one was a fun little game and the (added later) story was fun enough, so i’m hopeful for this.

Don Reba says:

Somebody should tell them they misspelled C.U.B.E.

• Jalan says:

“Cuick” just doesn’t have the same punch to it as “Quick” when paired together with Understanding of Block Extrusion.

5. Jalan says:

I bought the (first version) of the game not long after it was released, as well as the time trial DLC. With the exception of the floor puzzles (not the puzzles involving the floor and various obstacles, but the actual puzzles encased within them) I had a fun time with the game. I didn’t go back to the game when the director’s cut was handed out for free though – while the idea of the game actually having a narrative is great, and certainly at the time I played the original version I kept thinking to myself: “Where’s the story?” all the way to the finish, I think I enjoyed the game without one more than I want to let myself accept. Overall linearity and (arguably needless) frustration from some puzzles aside, it was one of a handful of puzzle games that I felt satisfied in solving the puzzles (although the floor puzzles were more relief than anything else, a gratitude of no longer having to deal with them) just by themselves.

I did take notice of the sequel being talked about not long ago and, for a time at least, was convinced the developers abandoned the idea but am glad to see that isn’t true and that something is actually happening with it. Definitely looking forward to the release of it, whether it delivers a better experience or not.

6. poliovaccine says:

“Puzzle-platforming into 2018,” eh? It’s gotta be a bit of a strain after awhile to create all these new custom verbs apropos of every newly-arriving title, giving each new game a behavior to do “its way into” the next quarter or whatever.

Clearly the custom-verbs department is fatigued. I move that the custom-verbs monkeys be shifted to the Steam release typewriters for a few weeks, yknow, get em out of their rut. Besides, the monkeys on Steam-weeklies need to be rotated more frequently than any other department if you want to avoid psychic wear n’ tear n’ surf n’ turf.

7. Darlizzle says:

Played this at Rezzed 2017…loved it. Felt wonderful to play and quite a looker.

I can honestly I can’t wait for this.

All I can say is it’s shame it’s 2018 and not 2017 release.

8. icarussc says:

Right, so all I want to say is that I love Alice’s news writing and hope she never stops.

9. poliovaccine says:

Btw, between these two QUBE games and the enormous, complex puzzle-world of the DLC-sized “CUBE Experimental” mod for Fallout 3 (which has environments looking very much like this game’s even tho it predates it), I’m assuming there’s some common source of inspiration between the two, no? If so, what is that? It can’t all just be extrapolated from a Sphere reference or something, right? Unless, like.. did Sphere have a sequel? Is it just a coincidence extrapolated from themes of pixilization or something like that? Or what?

It’s kind of nagging at me cus I get the sense these things are too similar not to have both been influenced by some source in common, since I find it unlikely that a.) the Fallout 3 mod inspired these two QUBE games, and also b.) that the Fallout 3 mod was itself an entirely original concept in the first place. Not to say it wasn’t very well done or anything, it was, but I mean it felt like a distinct property being brought into FO3, and even back then I wondered what its inspiration was. So now it’s just double bothering me haha.

Answers appreciated..!

Burges says:

I am fairly confident that they are inspired by the “Cube” trilogy of horror movies that started 1997 (Wikipedia). They are about a collection of characters trying to escape a maze of identical, cubic rooms, many filled with pretty gruesome traps.
      Judging from the screenshots (never played it), the Fallout mod seems mostly inspired by the third film/prequel Cube:Zero (2004) (Trailer), while Q.U.B.E. looks similar to the second movie, Cube2: Hypercube (2002) (Trailer)

Comment on this story