Torchlight devs’ action-adventure Hob due September

hob

Colourful, calm third-person action-adventures aren’t my usual destination of choice but the double whammy of Rime and Yonder has led to me spending a fair bit of time running and jumping and relaxing in recent months. September might add another game to the playlist when Hob [official site] arrives on the 26th, although talk of PUNCHING and MECHANICAL GLOVE-ARMS suggests it might not be as peaceful as I’d first thought.

I know I’ve seen this game before but I hadn’t realised it’s the next game from Runic, the studio that made the Torchlight games. Torchlight is the jolliest action role-playing game in the world, with cute pets and so many bright colours it’s enough to make a goth faint, and Hob looks jolly too, but that’s about as far as the similarities go.

OK, so the bit when the fish turned the player character into chum probably means I’m somewhat off the mark in thinking this might be another Yonder or Rime. I didn’t get gorily devoured by anything in Rime, not even once.

I’m not entirely sure what Hob’s all about. Runic promise a “wordless narrative” and a world that transforms as you solve puzzles and complete quests. It’s an open world, with sprites to befriend and creatures to battle. And that big ol’ mechanical arm is going to play a big part, whether for the aforementioned punching or as an omni-tool of sorts, as seen in the trailer when it seems to be a combination of key and battery.

Runic’s founders left the studio in March 2014, which might go some way to explaining the hard swerve away from Torchlight territory. Maybe Hob’s appeal is hidden somewhere in the trailer above, but I’m not seeing it – it looks…fine? The truth is I have very little desire to play Hob but I’m considering reinstalling Torchlight II right now.

1. Stevostin says:

Ok, the animation team knows their job here. It looks nice, but it moves amazingly.

2. LearningToSmile says:

There’s a fair bit of gameplay footage available, so there’s a lot more to go by than that trailer:

link to youtube.com
    and a more recent
    link to youtube.com

Personally I think it looks lovely. Always thought Runic’s talents are wasted on Torchlight, so this is a welcome change from me.

3. Ghostwise says:

I played the trailer since I’m a Torchlight fan, and I must say this has been a remarkably information-free experience.

Neurotic says:

I’ve had Diablo 3 on and off my drives a few times, but the Torchlights have always been there, cemented to the platters! Will deffo give this a look.

5. ropeladder says:

I got halfway through Torchlight I and gave up since it was so boring. (never really played any Diablos either, though) This looks much more up my alley, with actual interesting places to explore, gameplay-relevant items, and less pointlessly gamified clicking. Hopefully the combat and puzzles are actually fun and not just well-animated.

6. fenriz says:

So where’s the adventure in this action-adventure game?

more accurately: does one get to interact with objects that aren’t killing related? If yes, is that just a put cube shaped item in cube shaped hole, or a less apish get valve next to a piston, then repair the pump and oil the trigger?

in other words, what is the quality of the challenge?

7. Eawyne says:

Do people know if this will be out on GoG too ?

• Halk says:

yes it’s on GOG link to gog.com They have a 10% pre-order discount and also a 55% Hob, Torchlight, and Torchlight 2 pre-order bundle discount

8. fish99 says:

I’d never heard of this before a few days ago, but damn it looks great.

9. grobstein says:

The name and art style both put me in mind of this Hob (2007 holy god).