For Honor season 3 introduces Highlander and Gladiator

Here we are! Born to be kings!

Stop me if you’ve heard this one: a Gladiator and a Highlander walk into For Honor [official site] and, without a third character to catalyse a joke, simply stab each other to death. Thank you, thank you for your rapturous applause. It’s the way I tell ’em. This ha-ha-hilarious joke will come to life later this month with the launch of For Honor’s Season 3 update, adding the Gladiator and Highlander along with two new maps, new gear, and 1v1 duel tournaments. En garde! Touché! More details are this way!

Here’s how Ubisoft describe the two new classes:

Highlander (Viking Hybrid) – Highlanders are patient heroes capable of switching between two different fighting forms. Their defensive form allows for counter-attacking and trading blows, while their offensive form empowers them to unleash their deadliest attacks at the expense of being able to block. Wielding the heaviest and longest sword in the game, the Highlander’s massive claymore gives them a deadly combination of strength and range.

Gladiator (Knight Assassin) – Wielding a trident and shield, Gladiators have made a living off of killing for sport, and now bring their ruthlessness and skill to war. Equipped with little armour, they can punch their opponents to create separation to set up attacks and stuns. Their larger stamina meter and reduced cool down times make them extremely agile and dangerous opponents.

They’ll launch with Season Three: Grudge & Glory on August 15th but, as is typical, will initially only be available to Season Pass holders. Everyone else will need to wait until the 22nd then unlock them.

Other stuff in update 1.11: two new maps, Sentinel and Viking Village; 1v1 duel tournaments; a new ‘Legendary’ gear rating; reputation cap boosted to 40; other stuff.

Looking forward, Ubisoft plan to introduce 4v4 ranked modes later in the year, fine-tune balance over time, and, eventually, add dedicated servers.

1. Norbert says:

That’s the typical marketing nonsense you can expect from a studio which seems not to be aware their fanbase has shrunk to oblivion because of the cheer lack of all the basic mechanics and smoothness everyone was hoping to see from an online multiplayer nextgen game experience. This was the first time as a player I was experimenting being angry even before starting a session. I will never come back to this game and I hope it’s their last season.

Don Reba says:

What was the null hypothesis?

2. SanguineAngel says:

Honestly, I’m just impressed you managed to introduce a catalyisng element into the format anyway

3. Mecha_Rocky says:

….we are the princes of the uuuuuniveeeerse!

4. Beefenstein says:

I am sad that I bought this game. Although I spent about 80 hours in it so really I got more than enough enjoyment out of it. But overall the business model sucks.

5. nullward says:

I still like to play For Honor. I just really dislike the ultra-competitive focus they are aiming for. I play vs AI with AI allies just for a more casual experience.

I really, really want them to add some kind of “fun” game mode. Not tournament, not ranked — something entertaining. Free for all, king of the hill, some kind of capture the flag thing… just stop taking yourself so friggin seriously, Ubi!

6. vahnn says:

I had a lot of fun with the game in the opening month, and at 90 hours played, I got my money’s worth. But I’m extremely disappointed with the state of the game, and the announcement of dedicated servers came too late for me to care. The Highlander class sounds interesting, but the game has been uninstalled for a couple months now and I don’t think the Highlander and long-delayed dedicated servers are enough to pull me back in.

7. Blowfeld81 says:

Why do Ubisoft screw up new games and then fix them when most of the players are already gone?

The turned r6 into a fine game, but For Honor was my biggest disappointment this year and I hate myself for believing in this game and buying a season pass.

Now every new hero release is like some Ubi employee laughing at me, rubbing my money at their genital parts.

8. Orageon says:

Gosh the drama is real isn’t it ? Did players get traumatized that much ?
    Yeah we get it they botched the launch but they are trying to say that they won’t give up on the game and will shape into something better.