Hidden Dreams free DLC now in Hollow Knight

Hollow Knight - Hidden Dreams

When I first played Sunless Sea I didn’t click with it, then the Zubmariner expansion/DLC came out and I was hooked for weeks. When I first played the arthropoddy Metroidvania-with-hints-of-Dark-Souls, Hollow Knight [official site], I didn’t manage to click with it, but chatting with friends who adore it once it gets going and seeing that its first free DLC – Hidden Dreams – is out, I’m thinking I’ll try it again and hope for a Zubmariner-type revelation!

Hidden Dreams is the first of three free content packs for the game so it sounds like there’s a whole bunch to reinvigorate the game if you’ve been playing since release (i.e. the opposite to me) and are up for a new challenge/new things to see.

Here’s the description:

“This is it gang! It’s time to face 2 of Hallownest’s greatest warriors, uncover a hidden stag station, and traverse Hallownest in a whole new way with Dream Gates! We’ve even included a few small surprises to keep veteran players on their toes.”

So having not played much of the original the secrets might be a bit lost on me, but it sounds like Team Cherry have tried to pop some Easter Eggy elements in for players who mastered the original as well as the new bosses, a couple of new music tracks, a new Stag Station and so on.

If you’re using Steam to play you’ll update to the right version automatically, if you’re elsewhere you’re looking for the 1.1.1.4 update and the new bits and bobs will be integrated into your game.

One other noteworthy thing is that the Hidden Dreams update also brings with it an Italian language option thanks to fan translation efforts. There’s also an attempt to fix some controller issues but that’s in beta at the moment rather than being entirely stable and vouched-for.

You can read the full patch notes here although obviously I can’t tell whether I need to include a spoiler warning for anything. I don’t *think* I do as a couple of the notes a kinda cryptic so I assume Team Cherry are censoring as much as they need to themselves.

My fave note is: “Increased damage for Glowing Womb hatchlings”

Hollow Knight is on sale right now too. A 34% discount brings it £7.25/9,89€/$9.89 on Steam and a few pennies more on GOG.

P.S. I had no idea there was a little Hollow Knight modding scene! I’d only seen the cut content mod but there’s also an uberdifficult mode called Glass Soul where you now die in a single hit and there’s Lightbringer which converts your character’s melee attacks to ranged ones.

Drib says:

This game looks stunning and I like the general idea of it.

But watching speedruns, there’s no way I could react with the needed speed, or control it fast enough.

Boo.

• Nevard says:

Unless you are also planning to speed run it, I wouldn’t worry so much about that.
      The controls become second nature pretty quickly, and as of this patch most of the hardest content in the game (apart from the final boss for the best ending) is optional.

Incredibly fast reactions aren’t usually a big requirement.

I am not sure speed run videos are the best way to get a feel for how a game is played by normal players :P

• Doug Exeter says:

Its really not that bad outside of the optional bosses that are a absolute bitch. Most bosses just need a couple of tries. It’s a wonderful game. Until Pip said she didn’t like it, I didn’t realize there were people out there that didn’t enjoy it.

• onodera says:

I think the hardest critical path boss is the very first one (with a needle). With later bosses you get dash, you get wall jumps, you get longer post-hit invincibility and faster healing, you get more health masks, you get several chances to upgrade your nail, so you can actually out-DPS them, like you can in Metroid.

The needle boss cannot be outdamaged, the only way to beat it is to learn its moves and avoid mistakes.

2. codekitchen says:

I just played through the game recently, it’s easily one of my favorite games of the last few years. The whole game is absolutely beautiful, and the enemies are fun to battle. I’ve always been a sucker for exploration-heavy games.

I wish they hadn’t included the Super Meat Boy style platforming sections, but it’s still well worth playing and I think most of the hardcore platforming is optional.

• Nevard says:

I also thought it was very strange that the largest twitch platforming section was on the critical path for the 100% real ending when most of the game isn’t like that… but I guess you can get the other endings without doing it at least.
      I think it was a kickstarter stretch goal.

3. sonson says:

Re Difficulty and twitch aspects-if you can do that thing where you consciously break down moment by moment button pushes, ala Arkham combat, that’s all that’s required. Once you learn enemy tells and patterns it’s probably not even as reactionary as that.

Pip- as a lover of flaura and faunae you must give this a go. Not only is that stuff inherently well done, but there’s an entire ecology that extends to the map itself, replete with a bestiary that you “fill in” with information the more you encounter them, like some epic Twitcher.

Quite aside from that it is one of the best games at storytelling I’ve ever played. Quiet and sparse in its use of traditional prosaic narrative devices, it uses visuals, level design, mechanics and atmosphere to tell an incredibly engaging, wistful and quite beautiful tale. It is a very special game. With the exception of the Witcher 3 I think it’s the evokes the strongest sense of place I’ve experienced playing a video game.

4. TheDyingScotsman says: