The Foxer

Sun out. Work done. Roman sitting on the front step, blowing soap bubbles for Rumpus to chase. Maxine and Uncle George in the yard pottering about with Hero, the annexe’s 4” scale traction engine. Helen asleep on a rug under the magnolia, an open copy of The Chrysalids perched on her arm like a ridge tile.

This is it. The moment I’ve been waiting for. I type “EEL SPEAR” into my phone and less than a minute later, in a pavement cafe on the other side of the world, Father Time lowers his newspaper to find a silenced Walther PP pointed at his head.

This collage has a hidden theme.

foxerAug4

*       *       *

SOLUTIONS

25 Things That You Might Find in a Sewer

1. LN DNNDR GRNDMSQT – LONDON UNDERGROUND MOSQUITO (Little_Crow)
2. T – IT (Matchstick)
3. RBNXP LRR – URBAN EXPLORER (Little_Crow)
4. CR LRD – CAROL REED (Little_Crow)
5. TYGH – OTYUGH (Gothnak)
6. NDYDF RSN – ANDY DUFRESNE (Little_Crow)
7. BLCKWTR – BLACKWATER (Matchstick, Little_Crow)
8. PR TLVCM – PARTIAL VACUUM (Little_Crow)
9. LTNN TZDR – LIEUTENANT ZADRA (Little_Crow)
10. B LDCR G – BOULE DE CURAGE (unsolved)
11. THNYLSTRDL – ETHINYLESTRADIOL (Gothnak)
12. MSM – MIASMA (Little_Crow)
13. MSTRS PLNTR – MASTER SPLINTER (Matchstick, Stugle)
14. MNCP R – MINI COOPER (The Bitcher III)
15. KYLKT RN – KYLE KATARN (Little_Crow)
16. CLCN – CLOACINA (unsolved) or CULICINAE (Gothnak)
17. JHNHLLNG SHD – JOHN HOLLINGSHEAD (Little_Crow, Stugle)
18. NSPC TNRBT – INSPECTION ROBOT (Matchstick)
19. JNVL JN – JEAN VALJEAN (phlebas)
20. B LCKSWN – BLACK SWINE (Little_Crow)
21. FLPNK – FILIPINKA (unsolved)
22. GNBLG RND – EUGENE BELGRAND (unsolved)
23. RSHT* – TOSHER (unsolved)
24. RD* – DOOR (phlebas) or ODOUR (Barfo)
25. GBTFR* – FATBERG (Little_Crow)

And the previous week’s hive foxer…

Theme: Luxembourg (defoxed by phlebas)

HENRI (Barfo)

BATTIN (Gothnak)

DUCHY (phlebas)

RED LANDS (Barfo)

BETTEL (Barfo)

LION (unacom)

phuzz says:

I’m pretty sure that the aircraft at bottom is an Avro Lincon (the follow up to the Lancaster).

Every time I make a statement like that I’m usually wrong though.

2. Little_Crow says:

Bottom middle might possibly perhaps be Joni Mitchell

3. AFKAMC says:

Top left a MiG-19 “Farmer” (in East German markings, I think).

4. Stugle says:

I believe the car in the center is a Kia Rio.

• AbyssUK says:

Zooming in it appears there is a SEAT logo on the wheel.. might be a Toledo ?

• AbyssUK says:

In a rare foxer error a higher res version can be seen here if it helps anybody get the background…

link to assets.rockpapershotgun.com

p.s. also how I noticed the seat logo Roman.

• Stugle says:

That hi-res image is a thing of beauty. I see the SEAT logo now. Drat, like a house of cards in a hurricane, all my precariously placed clue solutions are being blown away. :)

• Panzerschwein says:

But the ‘S’ is not for SEAT, it’s for Suzuki. Car seems to be Suzuki SX4 Sedan.

Link to Tarzan: Shigeyoshi Suzuki directed Japanese Tarzan movie “Buruuba” (1955).

5. Stugle says:

Is that a young Jimmy Stewart on the left?

6. Lazzars says:

Train on the bottom left looks like a British Rail Class 17.

7. Stugle says:

The plane that’s sticking its tail into the top of the image is a Lot Airlines plane.

8. AbyssUK says:

Top patent image isn’t a cipher machine it is the 1888 Burroughs Calculator patent.

link to google.com

9. Gothnak says:

One of these days i’ll remember to log in at 1pm.. :p.. right…

• Stugle says:

8:00 Eastern Time in the US – I’m never more punctual for work than on Fridays. I lie in wait for that post to go up, finger poised to click that mouse button. :)

10. Gothnak says:

Well, Tarzan is coming through strong with Burroughs and Viscount.

Steve Sipek who used to play Tarzan had a tiger called BoBo (British Rail) that was shot?

Elmo LINCOLN also was the first on screen Tarzan.

• Rorschach617 says:

Laurent Dauthuille was known as the Tarzan of Buzenval.

• AFKAMC says:

Tarzan Alive: A Definitive Biography of Lord Greystoke (1972) is an alleged biography by Philip José FARMER, alleging the life story of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ literary hero Tarzan was a real person.

• Gothnak says:

I saw that one, i thought it was a bit vague for now…

• AFKAMC says:

I’ve never read “Tarzan Alive” (or even heard of it before today), but I do recommend Philip José Farmer’s “To Your Scattered Bodies Go”, if only for the image of Richard Burton, the explorer, author, translator and orientalist (not the actor) battling it out with his arch rival Hermann Göring on an alien planet.

• AFKAMC says:

The movie “Tarzan and the Great River” was filmed entirely on location in Rio de Janeiro. (A bit of a spurious link, perhaps; Rio would seem the obvious place to film a movie set in the Amazon.)

11. Rorschach617 says:

Found one!!!!!

The picture bottom right is a Topps Ringside card from 1951 featuring middleweight boxer Laurent Dauthuille

• AFKAMC says:

I had a burgeoning WW1 tank link based on the boxer being Willie Pep (Little Willie/No. 1 Lincoln Machine), but I guess not… :)

12. Gothnak says:

So, what’s the sew-on badge in the top left, and where is the google maps location?

I’ve tried Tarzan in the US and Greystokes in the UK, no luck :p.

• Gothnak says:

I’ve just noticed the massive struts of what i assume is a bridge, and the van looks like it is from the UK.

Also what does Joni Mitchell have to do with it all? Unless it’s Johnny Weismuller :p… Or the MiG 19?

• Stugle says:

Joni Mitchell/Johnny Weismuller is actually Jane Goodall and the MiG’s NATO reporting name is Farmer. Both previously defoxed and linked to the theme. :)

No idea about the bridge/overpass location.

phuzz says:

Looking at the hires version, there’s an arrow road marking suggesting it’s a country that drives on the right. The only bits of the graffiti I can recognise say “REVOLT”.

• unacom says:

Looking at the van, I´d say it might be paramedics or some type of official car. Maybe Code- or Bylaw Enforcement or some type of Warden.
        I´m bad with the graffiti -I can read a part as “-rozh” but that´s not enough, for me, to place it.
        A look at the vegetation in the background suggests a warm, dry climate -but that´s a shaky guess at best.
        Other than that, I got nothing really helpful.

Comment on this story